• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

DLC Ideas

Rak

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2005
D
I think it's pretty obvious there's going to be some form of DLC for RO:HoS.

We know that Tripwire likes to support it's game with free major updates to keep their reputation up, and so far they preffered to do really optional "paid" DLC which have no effect on how the game is played.

So, for RO:HoS how do you guys think they will do DLC's? Will there be "optional" campaigns/expansions like vehicle oriented Kursk, infantry+vehicle oriented Moscow and such? Also how about new characters, skins? Maybe they will include character customisation to sell tiny DLC's? Lots of possibilites :)

I'm especially interested in how they plan to include other theatres of Eastern Front. "Stalingrad" theme may get boring really fast.

I guess they will release "theatre" DLC, wich means that we may be seeing a Kursk DLC, a Moscow DLC ect.

Although i expect different theatres to show up i would prefer it to be done in a way that doesnt split the community. All the Battlefield expansions leave a sour taste. So i hope that the say Heroes of Berlin expansion won't be a paid dlc for the multiplayer portion.

And i hope that from the get go there is an option to pay instantly for all dlc to come i wouldnt mind paying double for the game, for not having to pay for additional things along the way.

Things as paid content that i wouldn't mind to see:
Character customization
Removal of advertisements in warmup period/waiting screen on new theatres
Singleplayer/Coop campaigns

But beside things to buy for an individual player, perhaps servers owners could buy stuff for their server as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Map pack DLC's are goddamn annoying for the players. At least for the ones that don't buy those "optional" packs, nothing is more annoying than playing a vanilla map and then seeing that the server switches to a map pack map that you don't have. So either you have to buy the map pack or accept the fact that you sometimes just get booted off the server.

It might be good in a business sense, but not for the end user imo.
Cosmetic things like skins and things like that are ok though.

Upvote 0
I agree, map packs are a bad idea. Either release them for free to everyone, or don't make them.

Though I wouldn't mind paying for proper expansion packs. Say $10-15 or so for 8 MP maps set in different areas with new weapons, uniforms, vehicles, gameplay changes ect.

But $10 for "DLC", such as 3-4 maps, or a few skins is not something I would pay for.

Upvote 0
Yea making people pay for maps would never work in a PC game ... it just fragments the community too much.

I personally don't like the idea of paying for any DLC (because it's a slippery slope to paying for basic things). That said, what would make the most sense is if they only made purely cosmetic things cost money -- otherwise people can buy their way to the top in terms of equipment and such is which is totally lame.

Upvote 0
Yea making people pay for maps would never work in a PC game ... it just fragments the community too much.

I personally don't like the idea of paying for any DLC (because it's a slippery slope to paying for basic things). That said, what would make the most sense is if they only made purely cosmetic things cost money -- otherwise people can buy their way to the top in terms of equipment and such is which is totally lame.

Jup ideally i'd just have a higher base price and the game taking a bit longer till the reductions come in. Although its of course a question wether that is profitable.

Upvote 0
no paid dlc. the whole business model behind that is lame. have you seen the dlc items they're selling on steam?

99 cents for some polygons that looked like it was whipped up in 15 minutes. 3 dollars for "elite units".

the whole principle behind that simply leads to deliberately withholding features or items on release for sale as dlc later. also, it would be great if ro hos was modding capable so the community can make maps and model replacements.

Upvote 0
no paid dlc. the whole business model behind that is lame. have you seen the dlc items they're selling on steam?

99 cents for some polygons that looked like it was whipped up in 15 minutes. 3 dollars for "elite units".

the whole principle behind that simply leads to deliberately withholding features or items on release for sale as dlc later. also, it would be great if ro hos was modding capable so the community can make maps and model replacements.

^^^This^^^^^

Upvote 0
I would recommend only cosmetic DLC. Map packs and units that change the game experience for those who dont buy them is a bad idea if you want to build a community around your game.

If you just wanna make money, hell, break it up into 10 different pieces and charge us 10 bucks for each of them.. but dont expect too many sales, and dont expect too many people to be looking forward to your next product.

My personal stance is.. I never buy DLC no matter what, and if a game contains DLC that is anything more than cosmetic - I dont buy the game to begin with. I'm at my ropes end with companies trying to find ways to get more money out of my wallet when so much of what is being offered isnt memorable in the least bit. DLC doesnt make a complete, unforgettable experience - and purchasing it just tells developers that it's a valid way for them to make money.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
New maps, vehicles, etc. will all be available in patches. Tripwire would never make that kind of stuff paid DLC, the only paid DLC I can see are maybe alternate uniforms, that's about it.

Free uniforms and whatnot are those basic things that should be released for free, IMO. But, if they need to make money from basic things like uniforms, then they should go for it.

I won't be buying it though. Well, maybe if they start working on a HoS sequel in 3 or so years, I wouldn't mind giving more more money to help fund the project. ;)

Upvote 0