• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Compilation: Firebug weapon ideas.

I think the simplest fix is just to lower the amount of weight the flamerthrower takes up. 10 blocks is ridiculous for that weapon. The incendiary ammo sounds cool to and if the weight was lowered you'd actually have space to carry weapons that fire it.

I suggest to 5 or 6 blocks.

The flamethrower is very powerful in the hands of a high-level FB, same as the xbow, and is pretty cheap with the perk discount so it should weigh a lot for balance. The solution isn't making it lighter, but giving the FB a lightweight secondary weapon that he can use with the flamethrower, providing flame coverage in a limited fashion (the backup should not be comparable to the flamethrower).

The Handcannon would be a fine candidate for incendiary ammo, but NOT a gun with a fast rate of fire, because that would be too similar in effect to the flamethrower, in that it would provide rapid area fire coverage. The Handcannon would provide short bursts of fire coverage and single-target fire coverage from range, particulary useful for burning high-value targets when flamethrower is spent and also lighting single targets when there are no groups around, something the flamethrower is NOT good at doing.

The FB would use the Handcannon for single targets and bust out the flamethrower for groups. This would bring much-needed variety to the perk and extend flamethrower ammo, keeping the FB effective in later waves without having to stockpile multiple flamethrowers.

Upvote 0
The flamethrower is very powerful in the hands of a high-level FB, same as the xbow, and is pretty cheap with the perk discount so it should weigh a lot for balance. The solution isn't making it lighter, but giving the FB a lightweight secondary weapon that he can use with the flamethrower, providing flame coverage in a limited fashion (the backup should not be comparable to the flamethrower).

The Handcannon would be a fine candidate for incendiary ammo, but NOT a gun with a fast rate of fire, because that would be too similar in effect to the flamethrower, in that it would provide rapid area fire coverage. The Handcannon would provide short bursts of fire coverage and single-target fire coverage from range, particulary useful for burning high-value targets when flamethrower is spent and also lighting single targets when there are no groups around, something the flamethrower is NOT good at doing.

The FB would use the Handcannon for single targets and bust out the flamethrower for groups. This would bring much-needed variety to the perk and extend flamethrower ammo, keeping the FB effective in later waves without having to stockpile multiple flamethrowers.

You can already carry dual hand cannons or 9mms now as back up weapons. All you would be changing would be the ammo for the weapons. At least with my suggestion your not limited to pistols. I agree the flamethrower does alot of damage against smaller zeds, but compared to the latest 3rd tier weapons its not even in the same league. Take that combined with the fact it holds less ammo and weights twice as much as the scar and ebr it could easily be reduced in weight.

Upvote 0
You can already carry dual hand cannons or 9mms now as back up weapons. All you would be changing would be the ammo for the weapons. At least with my suggestion your not limited to pistols. I agree the flamethrower does alot of damage against smaller zeds, but compared to the latest 3rd tier weapons its not even in the same league. Take that combined with the fact it holds less ammo and weights twice as much as the scar and ebr it could easily be reduced in weight.

Apart from the high power/ low price point, I think the flamethrower and xbow are really heavy because they are highly specialized weapons, very effective in their niche but requiring teamwork to cover the weapons' weaknesses.

Upvote 0
Flare Gun: IRL value as a weapon is arguable but it could serve a target-marking function for scrakes and fleshpounds, increase rest of the team's damage vs flare'd targets or something. Should still do some fire DOT, maybe actually reward headshots as well. Also it would be cool to shoot into the air on farm.

Road Flares: would be a nice utility. Cheap, get 2ish (more with levels but maybe not as many as demo gets pipes). Just drop them and they light an area, disappear at the end of the wave. Maybe also have a secondary function like crawlers don't like to go near them.

One thing that might make firebug more interesting is a new kind of scrake-level enemy that takes full damage from fire/explosives but, I dunno, can't be headshot (doesn't have a head, or something). I feel pretty disposable starting around wave 7.
It's strange that husks and firebugs effectively can't do anything to each other.

Upvote 0
The flamethrower is very powerful in the hands of a high-level FB

Flamethrower base dps is already under 1/2 of the AK, let alone any of the new weapons. Please. It's useful against crowds of trash but it's nowhere near "very powerful." Use the flamethrower to kill crowds of trash... or use the SCAR to kill all the trash before it can even form a crowd. Even the AK is already basically superior, the new weapons are just insult added to injury for FB and zerker. TWI does some things well, but they fooked up balance big time with their last big patch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i have a weapon sugestion

not sure about the name but what it does is trow liquid nitrogen (not sure of chemical) that slows the target down

it wont actually do damage but "freeze" damage which means the hp it freezes can be taken out faster by gun fire, note that freeze damage disapears with time and the enemy will recover that frozen health

so it would be great to slow down an upcoming FP fall back a bit and shoot him to deal a nice chunk of damage with the freeze hp damage boost

oh also noting that if u freeze the whole enemies HP instead of slowing down he completelly freezes and can be shot down to shards

i got a modification idea for the pipebomb, when a firebug uses it instead of exploding it blows up a huge amount of fire so it burns everything around it

Upvote 0
Flare Gun: IRL value as a weapon is arguable but it could serve a target-marking function for scrakes and fleshpounds, increase rest of the team's damage vs flare'd targets or something. Should still do some fire DOT, maybe actually reward headshots as well. Also it would be cool to shoot into the air on farm.

Road Flares: would be a nice utility. Cheap, get 2ish (more with levels but maybe not as many as demo gets pipes). Just drop them and they light an area, disappear at the end of the wave. Maybe also have a secondary function like crawlers don't like to go near them.

I like the target marking part, and the road flares are a good idea, although I think it might be better to just have the flares from the flare gun stay were you shoot them on a timer.

Upvote 0
A backpack style flamethrower, like the M2A1-7. It would have more/unlimited ammo, still having to reload every 100-160 depending on perk level. Would be stronger and go farther than old flamethrower, but balanced out by heavy weight (requires more weight, and when equipped slows you down more than old flamethrower), more expensive , and can overheat. Maybe Firebug can spawn with it at level 6.

I really want more for the FireBug, being my favorite and only perk at level 6.

Upvote 0
My opinion for the firebug would be an old ww2 style backpack flamer with no reload, heavy, powerfull and jawdroppignly kickass
This is what I would like to see too.

Maybe it could have a damage system where base damage is somewhat less than the current flamer, but it's mildly exponential based on the length of the burst unloaded on the particular target, so it would be useful on big stuff, but not OP on crowds. Ideally (imo) it wouldn't be quite as effective as the current flamer against crowds of smaller zeds, but much more DPS (increasing, as you unload) on larger targets. Not to the point where they're made into the joke like the Xbow does, but giving the firebug some usefulness against the larger threats.

As for the size of that single massive mag, maybe 625 to 1000 depending on flamer level? (current flamer is 400-640 total)

I suggest that the weight be 10, and the current flamer get moved down to 8, so it can have more options for sidearms.

Price could be up at 2000 or so. (600 at full discount)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is what I would like to see too.

Maybe it could have a damage system where base damage is somewhat less than the current flamer, but it's mildly exponential based on the length of the burst unloaded on the particular target, so it would be useful on big stuff, but not OP on crowds. Ideally (imo) it wouldn't be quite as effective as the current flamer against crowds of smaller zeds, but much more DPS (increasing, as you unload) on larger targets. Not to the point where they're made into the joke like the Xbow does, but giving the firebug some usefulness against the larger threats.

As for the size of that single massive mag, maybe 625 to 1000 depending on flamer level? (current flamer is 400-640 total)

I suggest that the weight be 10, and the current flamer get moved down to 8, so it can have more options for sidearms.

Price could be up at 2000 or so. (600 at full discount)

The firebug's role is crowd control, I'm not sure I would agree that he needs a weapon that would prevent him from also using his class-weapon to do that, crowd control. Perhaps a very short-burst flamer that's more or less "disposable one-use" but does insane damage, and can be carried along with the flamethrower.

I think I'd prefer the on-fire behaviour to increase, especially on larger zeds, or perhaps make being on fire reduce damage done and slow zed movement. That would be useful against larger zeds, but let them remain focused on killing off the smaller mobs.

Other than that, the flamethrower dps is pitiful compared to the other "crowd control" perk's weapons, commando's SCAR. The SCAR can hit peak DPS of 833, whereas the flamethrower (granted, single target) is 171. Firebug needs help badly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Awesome idea I think. I once suggested having some utilities or tools for KF along with weapons, so a road flare would do well as one. Also like the scarying crawlers part. But instead of making them disappears after the wave end, I suggest something like a burning time of 30 seconds so youd have to lay down another one.

Always like the flaregun idea aswell, but it has been suggested many times.

can't be headshot (doesn't have a head, or something)

Sounds like my suggestion for a new specimen lol: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=38913
But dont worry its good that people actually throw that idea around because imo it would be great, give sharpshooters something to be afraid of.

Upvote 0