• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Commando obsolete now?

Tom_hr

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2009
Commando is the first class I leveled up to 5 and was intending to use it constantly but with the sharpshooter there is never need for it now.

-sharpshooter can have 4 very powerful weapons
-pistols that take out clots, gorefasts and bloats more efficiently than bullpup or AK, especially the handcannon, just by having pistols sharpshooter is very powerful
-then comes the M14 with its' laser and headshot damage, which kills quicker close, medium and long range targets than SCAR or AK or Bullpup would ever be able to do.
-crossbow=railgun, basically a narrowed area long range flamethrower

Is there ever a need for a commando with sharpshooter around, because, how do you get around its' class ability of extra headshot damage?
I don't think anything can compensate that...

You know the situation, you would like to play as a commando and use scar but you just feel very weak and not very useful compared to the sharpshooter.

Last edited:
I beg to differ. I find that commando is much better than sharpshooters most of the time. Indeed sharpshooters are good for taking down scrakes and fleshpounds with ease, but commandos can easily wipe up everything else. Short, medium and long range (As long as you aim for the head). Almost any class can dominate as long as that person knows their class and weapon and is able to exploit those strengths.

Upvote 0
i have to agree with widow maker. find the mix of scar and ak/bullpup that you like most, and you can clean up 8 to 10 simple zeds (crawlers/bloats/clots/gorefasts) in a small handfull of seconds. the commando is still the all range small stuff cleaner, who can then yank out a scar and really put down some heavy damage.

Upvote 0
I have to agree with Widowmaker. For waves 2-5, or more typically, waves 3-5, you'll see sharpshooters using the EBR, and that overlaps the commando's duties for sure. But from my experience, on suicidal (with full friendly fire, but it should still apply even if you don't play with ff) if you're playing with level 6 players, or just any players who aren't kill whoring for perk XP: Outside of waves 3-5, your shaprshooters are running crossbows. In waves six through 10, their job is scrake and fleshpound, your job is all the zed types that swarm. When you're only playing to win the only reason for a sharpshooter to lay down the crossbow is because there's enough other crossbows to cover the big zeds, or some other viable strategy, but in general crossbow is safest.

Upvote 0
This is more of a problem with SS/EBR being OP than the SCAR/Commando being UP.

The basics are true however that a EBR has enough ammo and firerate to street sweep just as if not more effectively than a SCAR while maintaining the ability to rape FP/Scrakes on Hard/Suicidal.

Commando's only advantages are the ZED increase which is indeed fun since Zerk is now an obsolete perk and thus Commando is generally going to be the one getting ZED kills, and of course the health view although that and the stalker sight don't seem to be that valuable overall once you no longer require stalkers.

Upvote 0
Commando's only advantages are the ZED increase which is indeed fun since Zerk is now an obsolete perk and thus Commando is generally going to be the one getting ZED kills, and of course the health view although that and the stalker sight don't seem to be that valuable overall once you no longer require stalkers.

Wrong.

Knowing how much hp scrake/fp has left always give you a big advantage. And who said there will be no lv7? Stalkers are always need.

And zed time is a lot of fun.

Upvote 0
My favourite kit out for commando is katana + AK + Scar. I'm happy to finally ditch the dualies for this class! Commando is still better at dealing with multiple enemies at long range because the Scar has a scope whereas M14 ironsights are balls.

I do see OPs point about M14 + pistols making SS lethal at short range, but the SS also has to make a hard choice whether to do that or commit most their weight to carrying a crossbow to be viable at long range. Commando is still viable because it is more versatile. The commando kit out I mentioend above can deal with everything i believe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Commandos are the top scoring players in almost any game I play, if perks are at or above the average of the team.

Commando isn't even close to obsolete.

Exactly. The SCAR is the highest damage-per-second weapon in the game. How is the class that gets a bigger clip, less recoil, faster reload, more damage, and more ammo for it obselete again?

Upvote 0
Exactly. The SCAR is the highest damage-per-second weapon in the game. How is the class that gets a bigger clip, less recoil, faster reload, more damage, and more ammo for it obselete again?

It's not more damage, lv 6 and lv 5 + 50% dam...

And although faster reload, it's still lengthy, even with a commando 6

And recoil is worse comparing with sharp + m14 combo(same lv).

Upvote 0
The commando is not obsolete the SS can still only hit one target at a time (not counting the xbow which can only take down multiple enemies if they're standing in a long line) while the commando can spray lead around. Besides even if the sharpshooter is the strongest class that's no reason for EVERYONE to choose it.

I'm tired of being in games with 5+ sharpshooters. Some originality PLEASE people.

Upvote 0
Was playing 6 man normal on Wyre earlier. I was L5 SS, and there was either a L4 or L5 ( I forget ) Commando on the server. We were parked on top of the bunker thing.

I was using Crossbow / Handcannon, and I think he was using the Scar and AK. I was taking care of the bigger stuff with my crossbow and keeping him covered from what he couldn't see from where he was on the building, and he was covering the open area.

He was doing a lot better than me, but we made a good pair.

I guess what I'm saying is that while the SS can out-damage the commando, the commando is probably going to do better when you're up the creek without a paddle.

Upvote 0
Wrong.

Knowing how much hp scrake/fp has left always give you a big advantage. And who said there will be no lv7? Stalkers are always need.

And zed time is a lot of fun.

Wasting Ammo on Scrakes/FPs on Hard/Suicidal is a big advantage?

No, you're wrong. As far as needing more Stalkers well that's a matter of opinion, I don't care about them, maybe you do that's your decision.

Upvote 0