• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will KF eventually be ported over to UDK?

To be honest, i hope not. Not that i dislike the Unreal engine 3, but there are some things that won't bode good.

First, Unreal engine 3 runs only on newer videocards. Killing Floor runs even on a Geforce FX or Radeon 9500 or Intel GMA 900 (with performance issues due to the weakness of the chip). If you port it over to UE3, you can forget all these cards. You need at least a videocard that's capable of Shader Model 3.0. That's not an issue with the more recent cards, but Killing Floor has pretty low requirements and many who bought the game, wouldn't be able to play it anymore. That leads to a lot of angry customers, which leads to bad public relations.

Another factor is that Tripwire knows the Unreal engine 2.5 pretty well since Red Orchestra uses it too. They know the kinks of the engine. Working with another engine would take a lot time to get used to it.

If there would be sometime a Killing Floor 2 in a few years, then yes. I'd like to see it on UE3 or a similar efficient engine. But not now and not Killing Floor itself. Let the successor be on another engine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, KF would not be ported to the UDK, as UDK is mainly for modding still. Yes, you can release paid for things with the UDK (by giving Epic 25% of profit). A fully licenced engine is still the better choice if it can be afforded. Now will there be another Killing Floor title in the future on Unreal Engine 3 (paid for version of the engine with source code), maybe. KF has turned out to be a successful property for Tripwire.

Upvote 0
No, KF would not be ported to the UDK, as UDK is mainly for modding still. Yes, you can release paid for things with the UDK (by giving Epic 25% of profit). A fully licenced engine is still the better choice if it can be afforded. Now will there be another Killing Floor title in the future on Unreal Engine 3 (paid for version of the engine with source code), maybe. KF has turned out to be a successful property for Tripwire.

im looking forward to owning a KF shirt, been a fan for about 3 years now, always knew KF was going to be a hit.

Upvote 0

this is something I wondered since I saw that deal from epic on release of udk, which states that you can either license the engine or just turn over 25% of any earnings over $5000. for what it costs to get licensed, what kind of sales would we have to see for this to be worth doing? I'm assuming it's pretty high considering those limitations.

Upvote 0
That's not true, while most games that use UE3 force on you the Shader 3.0. UT3 doesn't require it.
Heh, you're right. That was news to me. And i own UT3 myself. Every other UE3 game i know require Shader model 3.0. Like Mass Effect or Rainbow Six Vegas.

I stand corrected. Also that relieves me a bit. If there is a fallback for Shader Model 2.0 the system requirements drop a lot, especially for ATI videocards. If TWI makes a KF on UE3 then they should use it.

Upvote 0