• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Destroyed vehicles - battlefield objects

PETERPANs

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
I started to play again PC game called Stalingrad.
eba8e227092191574bcf482f98dccd20.jpeg

There is something interesting about gameplay. If tank or vehicle is destroyed, remains of them stay on battlefield as wrecks. RESULT:
They block path for vehicles. Its critical in small passages like streets or etc. Fighting in cities is also difficult, you can block streets by your own tank wrecks. Its like dragon teeth - antitank fence build for your enemy. It force you to change direction of attack sometimes on stronger positions of enemy.

But what about RO HOS? Is it possible to keep fresh wrecks in game? It could bring new experience for game itself. There is also another deal, is it too heavy for core of game? Maybe it could slow or crash game. I dont know.

Another hint:
Wreck are usable as cover for infantry or tank (you can hide vulnerable parts of your tank or just make smaller target from your tank). If you have flat area with trenches its much easier for advancing troops to reach enemy trench by using wreck by wreck as cover objects. On the begging there should be flat place easy to defend but in the middle of battle there should be tank wrecks.

Some picture from stalingrad game with wrecks:
3E8BCD48B13A-2.jpg

You can see there possible use of wreck cover for infantry or blocking of path for vehicles, you must use longer way to cross the village:
E010EC03F808-2.jpg

fresh wrecks of different kind:
71F6B3CA03AC-3.jpg

DE11F9673AAF-3.jpg

Last edited:
Not the worst suggestion although I can see some problems ingame. I would, on purpose, drive a tank into a doorway to block the enemy from getting somewhere. You could effectivly shut sections of maps down.

I was going to post the same thing. Like in old RO when someone blocked one door with the sdkfz, leaving one less exit from spawn. That was really annoying

Upvote 0
I was going to post the same thing. Like in old RO when someone blocked one door with the sdkfz, leaving one less exit from spawn. That was really annoying

RO HOS have absolutely new spawn system. Check youtube.

Blocking of path would be new game experience. Scale of RO HOS maps is not comparable to scale of RO ost front maps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Blocking of path would be new game experience. Scale of RO HOS maps is not comparable to scale of RO ost front maps.

How could you possibly know this. How could you know the critical paths and/or movements.

Maybe there will be more than 1 way to an area, but maybe there will be more than one vehicle to utilize blocking.

You really need to stop posting your inner voice my friend.

Upvote 0
How could you possibly know this. How could you know the critical paths and/or movements.

Maybe there will be more than 1 way to an area, but maybe there will be more than one vehicle to utilize blocking.

You really need to stop posting your inner voice my friend.

Relax my friend, its too untimely to be objective about that. We still dont have enough information about scale of game itself. But I am sure that maps would be much variable and different than in RO ost front, for example possible destroyable environment, who know it? its still unclear and not only that.

Maybe sapper could blow it up with aid of two charges instantly, just place charge inside of destroyed vehicle. But its just speculation I am not demolition expert ofcourse.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i was talking about your general posts

anyways, destroyed vehicles staying on the map may sound good, but there are too many gameplay downsides to it

and you cant just desintegrate a tank with a few charges, you would need a ridiculous ammount of explosives to do that job
and even if you succeed to blow it up completly, non tracked vehicles stil wouldnt be able to pass that area

Upvote 0
I think the point is that they can detract from the gameplay if they are misused. That's kinda the idea. Sure they don't have to stay forever but they can stay long enough to actually be a burden for the opposing team to capitalize on. If maps are built intelligently to avoid exploiting this, it could be a very nice feature.

Upvote 0
If they stay forever they will potentially shut down entire maps. From a gameplay perspective, this would be undesirable. For my maps I increased the tank despawn time to 90 seconds, up from 30 seconds, granting the infantry a bit more time with the wrecks.

if theyr designed to stay unlimitedly the tank model upon being destroyed is replaced with a much lower detail model without any of the moving parts that the higher detail model has.

Upvote 0