• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why is the server browser still so bad ?!

Kale

Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2009
Its basically the same since release, just reskined... I joined 5 servers that were on hard diff., but when I got there they were suicidal. Then I joined 8 servers in a row and they all had a different map than the one listed. Then you join a server with 5/6 people and it's empty. Or when I try to connect to a server it takes FOREVER.

the biggest problem with the server browser is that it keeps scrolling down and since there is no STOP button, you cant pause the list thats loading and pick a server you see. you can try to pick it while the list is loadingbut in the process youll misclick on other servers (youre not fast enough).

i agree, that is a problem but before they fix it up, you may try using the arrow keys and enter key once u've selected a server...

it is the best you can do for now as the selection (highlight) will remain on the server u selected, as opposed to changing... so hitting enter should be safe and wont' result in joinning the wrong server...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I thought it always worked like that ? I never had any problems selecting the server I wanted. it has always taken very little time to finish any given query, even when I selected all servers with no filters. with a difficulty filter it's like 15 seconds, tops. no filters maybe 20-30 seconds at most. just wait till it says 'query complete', have some patience and wait till the listing is through, so they're not all shifting around on you.

the key is to use your favorites, do one query and favorite all the good pings/gametypes at once. then as you play through them, remove the ones you don't like. may seem like a backwards way of doing it, but it worked well for me, especially since we couldn't add favorites while in game. that's something that really needs to be fixed imo (or has it?). the ability to favorite a server that you're already in should be top priority, so players can always find the ones they like.

Upvote 0
It would be wise if the next negative thread being made, be created after you put in a bit of research effort...

The difficulty filter is very obvious and visible on the browser...

I'm not trying to be negative. My 6 friends and I have had troubles with the browser since release, I just wanted to see if anyone feels the same way or had similar problems.

You're right, I should do more research, but I have the personal experience of my friends and I to use. It is a bit of a rage thread, because of the loading screen bug I went off topic. Yeah, no one post, this thread was a real mistake :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
well basicly to be rather blunt TWI cant "do" user interfaces, its obvious from the lacluster UI's in RO and KF both are very simple bare bones re hashes of UT04's UI and server browser, no attempt has been made to create a new or decent UI in either game (although RO did have a superb HUD ;P). basicly TWI need to sit down and look at some triple A titles and there UI and HUD's, take notes, then go back and build a nice new HUD and UI from scratch.

Upvote 0
well basicly to be rather blunt TWI cant "do" user interfaces, its obvious from the lacluster UI's in RO and KF both are very simple bare bones re hashes of UT04's UI and server browser, no attempt has been made to create a new or decent UI in either game (although RO did have a superb HUD ;P). basicly TWI need to sit down and look at some triple A titles and there UI and HUD's, take notes, then go back and build a nice new HUD and UI from scratch.
Agreed.

Upvote 0
You know what the biggest piece of **** thing is?

When you cold start a map on solo, it loads up faster than if you were to have switched maps between a map already loaded. More than half the time I end and forfeit once I die to go straight back to the menu and load the map in about a quarter of the time than just waiting for it to load in between.

Upvote 0
When you cold start a map on solo, it loads up faster than if you were to have switched maps between a map already loaded. More than half the time I end and forfeit once I die to go straight back to the menu and load the map in about a quarter of the time than just waiting for it to load in between.

Yeah, I don't get this. Sometimes it takes twice as long to reload the same map, which makes no sense considering it shouldn't have to load anything, just reset game data.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I don't get this. Sometimes it takes twice as long to reload the same map, which makes no sense considering it shouldn't have to load anything, just reset game data.

I'm convinced it's because the lobby is trying to load a different ad, and getting hung up in the process of connecting to the ad server. since it doesn't hang in instances where you don't enter the lobby, like in spec. when I'm sitting in spec as admin or otherwise, the maps load up fine if you go straight to spec on map change. it used to get hung up both ways, but now lobby only.

Upvote 0

AAA titles huh? If they went down that road we wouldn't have a server browser at all.:rolleyes:

I think the reason the browser is as "bad" as it is, stems from some kind of engine limitation. I'm no expert though, so it is very possible it could be modified to be more user friendly. Thing is though, just about every UE2.5 game has a similar layout. The only exceptions are those games which use third party software to handle the browser.

Upvote 0

I don't see how HUD design is related to flawed functionality.

Upvote 0