• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Don't shoot burning weaklings!

Or when people shoot a specimen that is already decapitated. It's already dead FF's, not a threat!

Not to mention that whoever shot it last gets the kill... You decap 4 gorefasts...then your teammate shoots each one in the chest ones before they drop. He gets the kills. Many KNOW this and exploit this.

Also, the number one reason people shoot burning specimens is the same reason that people tend to shoot Stalkers that Commandos want to kill and decapitated specimens: INSTINCTIVE REACTION WHEN ATTACKED.

"That ****er bit me!" *BLAM* I'm guilty of this one. If something IS or is GOING TO damage me, I'm gonna shoot it, even if it's headless or on fire!

Upvote 0
Question: decapited specimens take damages over time. Do these damages count for the damage count of the weapon used to decapitate him ? (eg: if I decapitate a gorefast with a bullpup, will the damage over time it takes count for the commando perk's leveling ?)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sometimes it's not a matter of leveling/bounty greed or poorly thought out strategy, but instead, it's just rambunctious fun.

But yeah, ideally people would avoid shooting the burning lesser specimens and stalkers unless necessary.

There's even an achivement for shooting burning specimens with a Crossbow, the epitome of wasting ammo!

'Course, when you count the fact that specimens now FREAK OUT when on fire, popping their heads with a crossbow while they dance around can be pretty challenging!

Question: decapited specimens take damages over time. Do these damages count for the damage count of the weapon used to decapitate him ? (eg: if I decapitate a gorefast with a bullpup, will the damage over time it takes count for the commando perk's leveling ?)

Unfortunately, I don't believe it does. The decap itself, which instantly takes about 1/2 of the specimen's remaining health, does, though, so aiming at the head is still a good idea! Especially on things like Bloats! A 600 HP bloat having his head popped off can easily give you a ~300 damage "decap hit" bonus!

Upvote 0
There's even an achivement for shooting burning specimens with a Crossbow, the epitome of wasting ammo!

'Course, when you count the fact that specimens now FREAK OUT when on fire, popping their heads with a crossbow while they dance around can be pretty challenging!

Unfortunately, I don't believe it does. The decap itself, which instantly takes about 1/2 of the specimen's remaining health, does, though, so aiming at the head is still a good idea! Especially on things like Bloats! A 600 HP bloat having his head popped off can easily give you a ~300 damage "decap hit" bonus!

I think they put that achievement in solely for the pun value.

And actually, if you're a commando, you'll see that decapitated enemies do not in fact take damage over time. Once an enemy is decapped, he will die after a certain amount of time, but he will still have plenty of health left. It basically puts a death clock on them.

Upvote 0
I think they put that achievement in solely for the pun value.

And actually, if you're a commando, you'll see that decapitated enemies do not in fact take damage over time. Once an enemy is decapped, he will die after a certain amount of time, but he will still have plenty of health left. It basically puts a death clock on them.

They do take damage, but it's very minor and has nothing to do with when they drop dead ~5 seconds later. If they're low enough on health, the bleeding damage can cause them to actually drop SOONER than the ~5 second "Death Clock". Noticable with enemies that have already taken a body-hit or two before the decap and after the decap have almost zero health remaining...

Upvote 0
Thanks for the explanations.
Another question: do specimens take damage over time (or have a "death clock") after being hit by the katana ? Because I did body-shots on some gorefasts and they just dropped dead several seconds later.

And to stick with the topic: I do kill some headless specimens who probably would'nt have hurt anyone, because I like to kill stuff and leveling isn't a bad thing either. But since I often give money I don't think it really is a problem.

Upvote 0
not necessarily, ive died a few times to a raged decaped fp, so out of habit i give them a few extra to put them down quickly.

In most of my squads', this is standard operating procedure. When the decap hits, it'll usually have no more than 25% of it's health, so a few good hits will drop it before it rages and mauls someone.

This is usually the Support guy's role, as he dishes out the point-blank pain.

Course at long range, this is less of an issue as Sharpies can pop their heads and demos can disentigrate them!

Upvote 0
Seems a few people ignored the "imminent threat" bit. I can see if a flaming gorefeast is trying to molest you with his 5 foot arm/blade thing. By all means necessary, dispatch the bugger.

But when you are holding a hallway, there are six crawlers and one scrake, all are on fire, and everyone focuses on the crawlers, it just makes me want to facepalm. I know they are either acting out of instinct, trying to get a high kill count or cash, xp, or just plain being no.1 but really, it bugs the hell outta me when people run out of ammo because they have been popping every single small specimen that was moments from death due to fire, and are killed by the larger specimens they largely ignored.

I also see it as poetic justice at times, but usually not when it turns on me next.

Upvote 0
Burning/decapitated specimens ARE a threat and CAN still damage you. Frankly anything that isn't a FP or scrake is shoot-on-sight as far as I'm concerned.

So you're going to shoot those little specimen on fire on the other side of the room just because they may hit you if you get near? lol

They do take damage, but it's very minor and has nothing to do with when they drop dead ~5 seconds later. If they're low enough on health, the bleeding damage can cause them to actually drop SOONER than the ~5 second "Death Clock". Noticable with enemies that have already taken a body-hit or two before the decap and after the decap have almost zero health remaining...

I've actually seen decapitated specimen with commando quite some times and I'm pretty sure there's no further health loss... the "Death Clock" may depend on remaining health after decap, though.

Seems a few people ignored the "imminent threat" bit. I can see if a flaming gorefeast is trying to molest you with his 5 foot arm/blade thing. By all means necessary, dispatch the bugger.

But when you are holding a hallway, there are six crawlers and one scrake, all are on fire, and everyone focuses on the crawlers, it just makes me want to facepalm. I know they are either acting out of instinct, trying to get a high kill count or cash, xp, or just plain being no.1 but really, it bugs the hell outta me when people run out of ammo because they have been popping every single small specimen that was moments from death due to fire, and are killed by the larger specimens they largely ignored.

I also see it as poetic justice at times, but usually not when it turns on me next.

Lol, so true! ^^

Upvote 0