• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Berserker Weapon

With all of the new weapon updates/nerfs in the Level Up DLC, the berserker feels a little downplayed. I think that this can be remedied by adding a weapon to the berserker's arsenal that expands on his role as the team tank.

I imagine that such a weapon would take the form of a baton and riot shield. Primary fire would be a decent damage (maybe around machete power) fast attack, secondary fire would be a shield bash that could stun specimens, and iron sight would raise the shield and cause the berserker to take less damage from the front. I'm not sure on the exact numbers, I'm not an expert, but I think that the general concept is pretty solid. What do you all think?

so then just remove it from the game

I'd rather see something functional like the Riot Shield/Tactical Shield because the Berserker already has a lot of stuff to cut enemies into pieces with (Knife, Machete, Fire Axe, Katana, Chainsaw).

The Machete (and fire axe, for that matter) is already pretty much worthless.

Hey, I happen to like the Fire Axe ...

Upvote 0
If you add anymore weapons for the Berserker you basically nullify the Machete even more.

Not necessarily an issue, especially if TWI's plan is to introduce ever greater tiers of weapon strength, which is the direction they seem to be going. Part of the issue is that the knife is plenty functional for the first two waves, and the top tier berzerker weapons are too easily affordable by the end of wave 1.

My concern is that new Berzerker weapons become redundant in style and function. A sword is a sword is a sword after a certain point. I don't want new weapons that are reskinned and tweaked versions of other weapons....and melee weapons are at a bigger risk of this than other weapon classes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not necessarily an issue, especially if TWI's plan is to introduce ever greater tiers of weapon strength, which is the direction they seem to be going.

My concern is that new Berzerker weapons become redundant in style and function. A sword is a sword is a sword after a certain point. I don't want new weapons that are reskinned and tweaked versions of other weapons....and melee weapons are at a bigger risk of this than other weapon classes.

They should aim for functionality rather than, "I do more damage". Like a Sledgehammer that is moderate in damage, but is capable of pushing specimens away with force.

Upvote 0
like the idead thou...but i would then make the riotshield as an seperate "weapon" for the 'zerker and that he can only use one handed melee weapons (like the knife or machete and maybe a spiked mace) so you either use a high damage weapon or go more in the defence with the riotshield (the shield should have its own health bar and shoudl easily withstand 5 FP's if not even more)

Upvote 0
like the idead thou...but i would then make the riotshield as an seperate "weapon" for the 'zerker and that he can only use one handed melee weapons (like the knife or machete and maybe a spiked mace) so you either use a high damage weapon or go more in the defence with the riotshield (the shield should have its own health bar and shoudl easily withstand 5 FP's if not even more)

Or....maybe when you have a riot shield you can't use the alternate fire for your weapon, because that's now a shield bash or some other shield-related move. That's a good tactical trade off.

They should aim for functionality rather than, "I do more damage". Like a Sledgehammer that is moderate in damage, but is capable of pushing specimens away with force.

/signed

Upvote 0
Define "withstand fp". Do you mean if you were alone? or if everyone was hammering on it the fp the whole time? How many hits should it get off?

That statement was a little vague.

I think the shield should just be added to the machete to make it viable, but not usable with any other melee weapons, and definitely above all NOT usable with pistols.

Upvote 0
This is why I think the Riot Shield/Tactical Shield is an interesting idea because it can provide a functional defensive advantage. The wielder can either defend against hordes of specimens or even the more powerful specimens such as the Fleshpound, but at the same time provide an offensive function to push or bash specimens.

Of course, the shield would need limited (repairable) durability, takes a lot of space, and maybe even slow the player's overall movement speed.

It would be much better to have compared to that of a bigger, badder, and sharper sword.

Define "withstand fp". Do you mean if you were alone? or if everyone was hammering on it the fp the whole time? How many hits should it get off?

That statement was a little vague.

I think the shield should just be added to the machete to make it viable, but not usable with any other melee weapons, and definitely above all NOT usable with pistols.

I would imagine a Fleshpound would be able to break through a shield in seconds, but the shield bash wouldn't be about damage, but more about stunning or displacing specimens.

Riot Shields/Tactical Shields are usually paired with a small sidearm and aiming a sidearm with a shield is rather difficult and cumbersome. Taking that into consideration the shields would be just fine with a sidearm. The player would just either have an accuracy penalty or be unable to sight their sidearm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have the Riot Shield be a seperate weapon that can only work in tandem with a one-handed weapon.

Congratulations, the Machete is now relevant again.

It can take a certain amount of damage, and eventually it will crack. When it cracks, it's broken for good and then you're back to just the regular machete (with the current animations and whatnot).

Upvote 0
I think the beserker should be able to pick up a crawler and swing him around, beating the other zeds to death with it. Then the alt fire could let you throw it for massive damage. :cool:

Replace the word crawler with Fleshpound and/or Patriarch and then you have a nice, balanced ability.

My original idea was that the riot shield would be unbreakable, but provide significant (perhaps 15%?) damage reduction when you used "iron sights." Of course, the berserker would move more slowly. It could definitely work with the machete, but I thought that pairing it with a baton would be more thematically appropriate.

Upvote 0
I want a melee weapon that can also shoot so I don't have to switch to something else to shoot that annoying crawler gnawing on my leg crawler.
So I suggest:
ma_ffviii_squalls_gunblade.jpg

Upvote 0
I want a melee weapon that can also shoot so I don't have to switch to something else to shoot that annoying crawler gnawing on my leg crawler.
So I suggest: Squall's Gun Blade

It's been proven that a "gun blade" would be incapable of firing. The blade actually ruins the trajectory of the round that is fired and sends it straight into the ground.

Upvote 0