• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Demoman Tactics

The trick with playing the Demo perk is to find some high ground so you can shoot over the heads of your team mates. Like standing on the pews in the church, or on a little hill in Farm, and so on. If there's a chance your team mates will get in the way, don't fire. Also remember you have regular grenades, and can carry more of them than usual.

Use the M79 for most targets; aim for groups of weaker specimens, or aim directly at stronger ones to soften them up. As long as you pick up the occasional ammo box, you shouldn't run out if your team mates are at least doing some of the work.

Save the M32 for Skrakes, Fleshpounds, the Patriarch, or massive hordes that are too big otherwise. About 3 grenades kills a Skrake, 4 to 5 kill a Fleshpound, and unloading the whole thing into the Patriarch usually drives him off.

Pipebombs are nice, but I don't buy them until the mid or late waves. I definitely buy some for the Patriarch, and mine entrances he'll pass through. If your group plays smartly enough, you can prevent him from killing anyone, by simply doing so much damage that he never gets the chance. I've tried going solo against the Patriarch as Demo, and it does work, it just requires careful placement of pipebombs, choosing a good spot where you have room to move and fire, and using the M32 accurately to stop him cold when he charges. Save the M79 for taking pot shots at him if he stops to use his chaingun or rockets.

Upvote 0
In addition to tactics, the best place for Demoman is Waterworks and Foundry maps because they have upper floors that can look down on lower floors. If there are 10 or so zombies walking down a corridor on a lower level you get a clear shot.
This is, I reckon, part of the reason why the Husk was introduced. Hes the only guy who can counter-attack this style of attack.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've found a good way to conserve ammo and keep a constant stream of grenades flying is to have an M32 and an M79, fire one shot from the M32, quick switch, fire one shot from the M79, quickswitch, fire one shot from the M32 and so on until the M32 needs to be reloaded. It's much more efficient than rapid firing from the M32 and forces you to control your firing so youdon't waste ammo spamming grenades.

Upvote 0
More demos need to read the guide. Most just spam grenades randomly... It NEVER, EVER turns out well.

When they spam enough grenades to enrage FPs/Scrakes, but not enough to kill them, teammates die... And even if this doesn't happen, the smokescreen the explosions put up cloak enemies, which is bad in general...

Upvote 0
If you can, skip the single action grenade launcher and get the revolver one.
While the ammo for the single one costs 10 pounds per shot, it's cheap as chips for the bigger one.

The reload is absolutely killer. Almost a full 2 seconds per grenade! While the other one has a ***** reload of around half a second... Surrounded teammates are usually dead while your guy is slowly popping the nade into the revolver...

The biggest drawback to it is that Scrakes can tank all 6 grenades as direct hits on 6-player Hard if you aren't a Level 4-5 Demoman...and come out of it RAGED. Ditto with pipebombs, though they do stun Scrakes, at least. Against FPs, though, explosives will LEVEL them!

Ammo is cheaper for the revolver one, and it does slightly more damage, but the reload gets me killed all the time! Using pipebombs as a "Fall back" is very important when using it!

Upvote 0
You gotta watch it with the pipe bombs and patriarch. His rockets can blow them up.

Something detonating them while you're placing them is generally fatal...

For some serious tactics that I've stared using, now...

1) "The Earthshaker" - Everyone knows about grenade stacking, but the Demoman can do it better with his 'nade launcher. Toss 1-2 nades, then IMMEDIATELY hit them with a Grenade Launcher round. The explosion is much bigger than normal and does huge damage. Great against a "raging" FP.

2) Most don't seem to know it, but you can SHOOT pipe bombs with the 9mm to set them off. Great for hitting mobs of little guys crowding the bomb but not quite setting it off.

3) Splash it. Classic tactic that newbies don't seem to know: Aim at an enemy's feet to hit them with th splash, not the impact. This makes it much easier to hit and can let you hit spread out targets better.

Upvote 0
The reload is absolutely killer. Almost a full 2 seconds per grenade! While the other one has a ***** reload of around half a second... Surrounded teammates are usually dead while your guy is slowly popping the nade into the revolver...

The biggest drawback to it is that Scrakes can tank all 6 grenades as direct hits on 6-player Hard if you aren't a Level 4-5 Demoman...and come out of it RAGED. Ditto with pipebombs, though they do stun Scrakes, at least. Against FPs, though, explosives will LEVEL them!

Ammo is cheaper for the revolver one, and it does slightly more damage, but the reload gets me killed all the time! Using pipebombs as a "Fall back" is very important when using it!
What the reload time of the revolver one is ~1 second a nade and it also takes the exact same time to pop a new one into the single action launcher so I'd say they have an equal reload time (unless you force-cancel the animation by switching the weapon).
You just have to time your reloads right. If you only shoot 1 grenade, reload immediately and you have what is basically the single action grenade launcher reload-wise.

Upvote 0
Can anyone shoot it, or just the person who placed it?

Only the person who placed it, though specimens can destroy them/set them off. Sirens pop them like grenades, Husks fireballs can set them off, and the Patriarch's rockets can seet them off...right after you placed them, resulting in them exploding on YOU...so be careful

I've heard rumors that with Friendly Fire on ANYONE can shoot one, but I haven't tried this.

Upvote 0
3) Splash it. Classic tactic that newbies don't seem to know: Aim at an enemy's feet to hit them with th splash, not the impact. This makes it much easier to hit and can let you hit spread out targets better.
Sorry Nanostrike, I've read #3 over about 5 times and I still don't understand it - eg is 'th' a typo or something I haven't heard of? What weapon am I using?

Last edited:
Upvote 0