• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How goes the demolition?

The smokescreen hurts almost every other perk. From the Zerkers who have to now deal with hidden enemies to the Sharpshooters who just had their lined-up shots obscured, it's a hassle.

And the damage isn't all that great. For the most part, you can absolutely nuke Clots, Crawlers, Stalkers, and Gorefasts (And sirens if they're not screaming), but everything else shrugs it off. The M-79 is economical costing barely $100-$200 for a full restock, but the other one eats ammo at a ridiculous rate and costs a ton to reload.

And Pipe Bombs are really only good for covering your back. If anything charges (Scrake, FP, Gorefast), it'll run over the bomb before it blows up, this taking little if any of the explosion! I wish they were able to be manually detonated! That'd make 'em really desirable (And wasn't it that way in the mod?). As it is, they should just be called "Patchwork proximity mine" because that's what they are...

Upvote 0
Unless I'm much mistaken, the ammo for the M32 per grenade is significantly cheaper than the M79. And neither of them has very expensive ammo. I've only got level 2 demo, and I'm finding it to be insanely powerful. I can wipe the floor with most tough enemies by unloading with the M32. The only negative considerations are: a) the high initial cost of perk specific weapons, b) the smokescreen grenades create, c) the low overall ammo capacity of these weapons.

Upvote 0
I think the Demolition class works best as a clearer, rather than a main-damage dealer.

Now there's nothing stopping a Demo from unloading all 6 grenades into a hefty target, but the area of effect splash damage is absolutely invaluable for clearing lesser enemies.

A single grenade can pretty much instantly kill Clots, Crawlers, and Stalkers, where a second shot may be needed for Gorefasts, Bloats, and Sirens. At the higher levels (5 and 6) they, too may be one-shotted without much difficulty.

Though the grenade launchers have low ammo reserves and long reload times, if placed correctly a single shot can clear ~10 enemies - keep a friend around for the enemies that get a bit too close for comfort, and you create a great synergistic team.

Toss a pipe or two for either defense along an unwatched path, or to really lay the hurt onto some of the tougher enemies, and you've got yourself a well-rounded class.

Upvote 0
I'd have to agree that the Demolitions Perk does seem to be all smoke no fire at the moment. Perhaps its just low perk levels, but on 6man Hard it was struggling to actually kill most foes.

It has the potential to be lethal towards all Clots, Stalkers and Crawlers, which is awesome. Problem is it doesn't seem to kill anything bigger and just leaves a ton of smoke in the way, its even worse than Firebug for obscuring the view. At least the Commando gets a rough target to aim for thanks to health bars.

The biggest problem is people just spamming grenades for no frigging reason. Seriously you'll shoot a Gorefast once and make it flinch then as you fire the shot to take its head off and a grenade will come flying past you and hit absolutely no zeds and obscure the view.

Upvote 0
Well, one thing about the demoman, you'll notice his weapons (especially the m79) are quite low weight. Use something else for single targets and use the explosives to blow away groups.

Logically yes... but this is probably just the new Support spam. Instead of seeing lvl5 Supporters going around wielding only the Hunting Shotgun and using both barrels on lone clots you'll have them as lvl6 Demomen spamming grenades on single targets.

Upvote 0
The LAW doesn't seem to receive discounts from the Demoman perk and it gets moved to the Shotguns selection area when you choose Supporter.

So really even if it had become strong enough to do damage no-one in there right mind would buy it. The grenades launchers are cheaper, lighter and more versatile.

I'm hoping the LAW was just an oversight because it serves no purpose at all now. Overpowering the Patriarch easily isn't even a viable reason anymore given how laughable he's become with the new superweapons and Pipe Bomb traps.

Upvote 0
The LAW doesn't seem to receive discounts from the Demoman perk and it gets moved to the Shotguns selection area when you choose Supporter.

So really even if it had become strong enough to do damage no-one in there right mind would buy it. The grenades launchers are cheaper, lighter and more versatile.

I'm hoping the LAW was just an oversight because it serves no purpose at all now. Overpowering the Patriarch easily isn't even a viable reason anymore given how laughable he's become with the new superweapons and Pipe Bomb traps.

Really? Damn. I hope the LAW gets buffed. I want to see it as the most powerful weapon in the game.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0