• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Repairing berlin and stalingrad?

shadowwill

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2007
Im amazed that they even managed to repair the major cities like Stalingrad and Berlin. How on earth did they do it? Germany was in ruins not only literally but how did they even afford to rebuild? where did the workers come from? who repaired stalingrad?

Does anyone have any information at all on the rebuilding of these cities, i find it really interesting. Any idea how long it took them to start repairing after the war and how long it took? any pictures of destruction still years after the war?

Cheers

Im amazed that they even managed to repair the major cities like Stalingrad and Berlin. How on earth did they do it? Germany was in ruins not only literally but how did they even afford to rebuild? where did the workers come from? who repaired stalingrad?

Does anyone have any information at all on the rebuilding of these cities, i find it really interesting. Any idea how long it took them to start repairing after the war and how long it took? any pictures of destruction still years after the war?

Cheers

In the non-Soviet Europe, a significant amount of the funding was from "The Marshall Plan"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Plan

In short, the Marshall plan spent $13billion USD ($1.2trillion in 2008 money) to invest into Europe, largely for the purpose of repelling communism really.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In the non-Soviet Europe, a significant amount of the funding was from "The Marshall Plan"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Plan[/URL]

In short, the Marshall plan spent $13billion USD ($1.2trillion in 2008 money) to invest into Europe, largely for the purpose of repelling communism really.

You could make the case that the Marshall Plan was spent on rebuilding markets.

Not that it was unwelcome or anything, of course, but, even factoring out the 'stave off communism' angle, not entirely altruistic, for sure.

Upvote 0
The rebuilding of stalingrad is quite an interesting topic, for sure. The general belief that everything was razed and started over again seems to be untrue - logically so - if the bottom 2 floors of a 5 floor bulding are still sound you just level the top 3 floors and rebuild those.

This means that a lot of the brick buildings in the northern factory regions are still full of bullet holes and grenade splash damage and stuff - fascinating stuff to spot as you walk around.

Upvote 0
Not that it was unwelcome or anything, of course, but, even factoring out the 'stave off communism' angle, not entirely altruistic, for sure.

Oh, absolutely. It was way before my time, but looking at it, it's pretty obvious that the Marshall Plan was about more then just trying to help out some people in war-torn Europe.

Upvote 0
Oh, absolutely. It was way before my time, but looking at it, it's pretty obvious that the Marshall Plan was about more then just trying to help out some people in war-torn Europe.

I don't see anything incorrect about that. Or anything wrong with it, either. There's a decent chance that it could have been 'Prague Spring' in Paris, otherwise.

Upvote 0
I don't see anything incorrect about that. Or anything wrong with it, either. There's a decent chance that it could have been 'Prague Spring' in Paris, otherwise.

Well, nobody here has stated that there would have been something incorrect or wrong there. People have just stated, that it was not like USA was Santa Claus giving Marshall aid as a present to the war torn Europe. Nestor put it very well on his earlier post.

Nestor Makhno said:

Upvote 0
Well, nobody here has stated that there would have been something incorrect or wrong there. People have just stated, that it was not like USA was Santa Claus giving Marshall aid as a present to the war torn Europe. Nestor put it very well on his earlier post.

I know.

I was just saying, y'know? Acknowledging that it had less to do with humanitarianism than containment, and stating that I didn't see a problem with that.

That's all.

Upvote 0