• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Valve boycott L4D1 custom campaign

How many companies can you e-mail someone in the upper echelon of corporate like Gabe N. and he actually reads your e-mail (and responds to you, no less)?

L4D2 unsettled me a bit at first (and I don't plan on buying it until it is cheeeeeeap, L4D1 felt like a waste of money to me compared to KF :p ), but Valve has never really done anything that felt like they were screwing over their customers and fans. I've always respected their company for that.

Now if only they would make Steam Chat catch up to chat programs of the late 90s. Where are my custom away messages and stealth/ghost mode, Valve? :(

Upvote 0
This is all getting a little ridiculous...

Where's my plane tickets!!!

Heres the details why it was refused.

* The game contains violence that is high in impact and is therefore unsuitable for persons aged under 18 to play.

* It notes that this violence is “inflicted upon ‘the Infected’ who are living humans infected with a rabies-like virus that causes them to act violently”.

* The report singles out the use of melee weapons as those that “inflict the most damage” and cause “copious amounts of blood spray and splatter (sic), decapitations and limb dismemberment.. or even cause intestines to spill from the wounds”.

* In conclusion, the Board finds that the “interactive nature of the game increases the overall impact of the frequent and intense depictions of violence. This coupled with the graphic depictions of blood and gore combine to create a playing impact which is high.”

* Interestingly, the report also reveals that it wasn’t a unanimous decision and that “a minority of the Board is of the opinion that the violence is strong in playing impact and therefore warrants an MA15+ classification” instead. However, the majority voted to refuse classification.

I don't know if this was just how the media wrote out the situation but twice in there I can see that it says unsuitable for an under 18 cert and needs a cert of MA15+, how can they just jump from yeah it should be MA15+, missing out A18 rating and going straight for refused classification, maybe valve should have put some zombie sex scenes in it and went for an X rating.

Generally speaking though I cant believe some nations still either dont have adult (18+) certificates and dont treat their adult populace like adults capable of their own decisions or how film/videogame boards can be so inconsistent and ignorant with their rulings.

@ Reddog and any other Aussies, is it known if you can even have the game gifted to you from a non Australian?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Where's my plane tickets!!!

Heres the details why it was refused.

I don't know if this was just how the media wrote out the situation but twice in there I can see that it says unsuitable for an under 18 cert and needs a cert of MA15+, how can they just jump from yeah it should be MA15+, missing out A18 rating and going straight for refused classification, maybe valve should have put some zombie sex scenes in it and went for an X rating.

Generally speaking though I cant believe some nations still either dont have adult (18+) certificates and dont treat their adult populace like adults capable of their own decisions or how film/videogame boards can be so inconsistent and ignorant with their rulings.

@ Reddog and any other Aussies, is it known if you can even have the game gifted to you from a non Australian?
Welcome to the ridiculous world of the Australian Film and Literature Classification Board, where judgment is almost never consistent nor adherent to any sort of precedent they've set in the past and refused classification is a broad stroke which can encompass content that could be rated MA15+ quite easily, right up to the X rating.

There's no rational reason not to have an R18+ rating for games, however for this to happen all the states need to agree on it to put it in place. There's one crazy bible bashing Senator General in South Australia who has for the last decade or so stopped this from happening by vetoing it. His reasons for doing this are that a) not having an R18+ rating for games protects children (I dunno where the logic comes from there), and b) having an R18+ level of gaming is a corrosion of our morality (yes he sees himself as a crusader). The real problem is that over here our politicians and law makers still view games as if they are a form of media explicitly for children only, completely ignoring the fact that the age of the average gamer is something like 22-32 and it's a form of media almost everyone enjoys. Any attempt at rational debate on the topic is either stifled, stonewalled or ignored completely.

I'm guessing they'll have to release a cut version over here.

What I am wondering is if you take the traditional workaround to this and buy a boxed version from overseas that is uncut will it work given that you have to install it into Steam?

Last edited:
Upvote 0