• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Downloadable Content/Episodes

Mr Milkman

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
I was thinking that maybe Tripwire could release "episodes" so the first game is Stalingrad-centric, then a bit later down the track add another semi/mini sequel, all the way through to the fall of Berlin... (Possibly even some pre-quals, ie invasion of Poland, the Russ/finn conflict) could be like downloadable content, kinda like what they did with HL2 (though I didn't play any of the episodes myself...I def would if it was RO though) each "episode" could contain a little history lesson (video clips, mini doco etc) new maps, scenarios, weapons and vehicles suitable to each particular era and battle etc...

I think this would be an awesome way of maintaining continued interest in their product, creating a further longevity of tripwires I.P until the next full installment of RO after HOS. It would also help increase and maintain Tripwires revenue stream, but most importantly it would continue to fuel and feed our addiction to this awesome WW2 combat sim, not forcing us to wait in pain for the next release like we are for HOS!

Hope Tripwire steals my idea! haha, otherwise one day I might consider doing mini mods relating to this... :p

Expansion packs and episodic gaming are bad business models imo. I personally dont support this kind of stuff with my dollars. Same thing with subscription models.. just wont do it. If game companies plan on adding content after a release it should be done with patches or simply wait and release a whole new game. Selling bits and pieces at what is always an overblown price isnt something I expect from a small company but rather the more junk, less quality Walmarts of the industry (read EA).

Adding expansion packs doesnt make it more appealing for someone who hasnt yet purchased your game, cause now they have to shell out a good amount of money to be up to date. Adding content patches and offering preview weekends/demos brings in those who are on the fence about buying the game. People are on hard financial times right now, and in most cases people will have to upgrade their machines just to play the new games. Chopping a game up into pieces and charging at each step from a consumers point of view is tiring and not worth it.

Upvote 0
I think we're spoiled about how much free content TW kept putting out years after the game was out. Developers have to eat, and I think it's fair if they get compensated to make additional high level content.

I would prefer this as added content, not as an "episodic" where the game is designed to be chopped up and sold piecemeal.

Upvote 0
I don't want the game chopped up into tiny pieces and drip fed to us, I'm hoping instead larger updates and add-ons, instead of a map here and there, and a new vehicle, why not a whole campaign? Kind of like semi sequels, similar in vain to company of heroes maybe? If it's cheap and of good quality why not? Actually making money out of their efforts gives more chances of us getting more support and further additions to the game in the nearer future instead of waiting four or so more years after this release for anything new. I know Tripwire have a good track record of adding content, but with financial rewards added to it, imagine how much more time and effort they could pour into the support of this awesome game... BUT take heed Tripwire, do it with quality and make it worthwhile or you'll destroy yourself, your fans are otaku and finicky!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Expansion packs and episodic gaming are bad business models imo. I personally dont support this kind of stuff with my dollars. Same thing with subscription models.

Yeah cause Valve and Blizzard don't make any money. :rolleyes:

I'm sure they're crying a river over one person not giving them money.

You don't like them, that doesn't make them bad business models.

Also I fully endorse this idea.

If Tripwire just do free patches, maybe we'll see half a dozen more maps, maybe some gameplay tweaks, maybe a new weapon or two over ROHOS whole lifetime. If they charge for episodic content, they can actually afford to do alot more.

As OP suggested the Fall of Berlin would be a perfect area to expand into. Late enough in the war so there are new weapons and vehicles to add, and lots of great battles to use.

Charging for Episodics also frees up cash to improve graphics (look at the difference between HL2:ep2 and ep1), and make technical improvements that will help sustain the community in later years.

If tripwire dont charge for additional content they simply can't afford to do as much as they could with paid content. Good programmers and artists cost money.

Not to mention, with modern graphics, it takes even more man hours to do maps and models, so expecting a higher level of free content than in ROOST is naive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hope that if they do something like this they do it like a new singleplayer campaign thats only for those that buy it. But make maps and weapons on mp available to all. Yet new gamemodes etc dlc.

I wouldnt want the mp community to be split off.

Since RO is a predominantly MP game, I don't think it would be worth it for Tripwire to do all the work of an add on, and give it away free when most people probably won't bother to pay for the multiplayer.

How this could be avoided is to simply release the add ons for free after a certain amount of time, namely when the next add on comes along.

And as long as add ons are priced reasonably enough $5-15 depending on size, i don't think theres a big risk of many regular players not opting for it.

If Tripwire do decide to do it though, they need to be clear that they are charging for much more than simple updates, but a proper expansion of the game thats going to add significantly to the ROHOS experience.

Just look at the ****storm L4D2 has created for an idea on how they could **** this up.

Upvote 0
barakas, you are EXACTLY on the same wavelength as me. I hope Tripwire are too.
I don't want to see the HOS community boom on release and then trickle off after a year or so due to lack of further support from Tripwire. I love this game and am willing to pay a little bit throughout it's life time to ensure it sustains a long, populated and enjoyable life cycle.

"If Tripwire do decide to do it though, they need to be clear that they are charging for much more than simple updates, but a proper expansion of the game thats going to add significantly to the ROHOS experience."
Yeh that's kinda what I was saying. Tripwire would basically be committing corporate suicide if they started charging for mere updates, it would have to be fairly substantial to incur a cost.

Upvote 0
Since RO is a predominantly MP game, I don't think it would be worth it for Tripwire to do all the work of an add on, and give it away free when most people probably won't bother to pay for the multiplayer.

How this could be avoided is to simply release the add ons for free after a certain amount of time, namely when the next add on comes along.

And as long as add ons are priced reasonably enough $5-15 depending on size, i don't think theres a big risk of many regular players not opting for it.

If Tripwire do decide to do it though, they need to be clear that they are charging for much more than simple updates, but a proper expansion of the game thats going to add significantly to the ROHOS experience.

Just look at the ****storm L4D2 has created for an idea on how they could **** this up.

The thing is that addons with maps and weapons always split up communities, battlefield was a good example of this. Especially in competetive sites even if addons were good they were usually not added to the default viable map lists for matches.

Thats why i hope that what is added can be normalized.

Upvote 0
ffs if one more person comes in and shares their sophomoric ideas of how a game company needs to make money, and therefore its okay to dumb things down or charge for extra content, I'm gonna be sick.

It's hard to explain to born consumers the messages that are sent when you spend your dollars or choose not to. There are two sides to the equation and consumers hold a lot of the power. Any company knows that when one person speaks up about something, there's probably a hundred other people who feel the same way but dont speak up. That equates to real money.

Where is the incentive for a game company to release a fully fleshed out, memorable experience their fans wont soon forget from the start when people are standing there basically saying 'here, take my money', 'no, really, please charge me'. This kind of thinking causes game companies to plan on piecemealing their games and charging you at intervals for more content. They actually plan on releasing a lesser game as the hook knowing you'll pay for more of the game later. Seriously, I cant believe I'm hearing the consumer side clamoring for companies to do this. You must have a huge budget to spend on video games.

Which brings me to my next point. PC gaming is expensive. This isnt one-size-fits-all console gaming. I myself will have to spend hundreds of dollars to upgrade my machine just to play this new game, and I know a lot of other people will have to do the same. Each individual has a limited amount budgeted for video games and game companies are fighting for that limited dollar. So exercise the power you have and make it known to these companies that if they want your limited dollar, they have to come out with the product you want from the start.

Tripwire has been fantastic in this sense because they plan on adding content from an early stage as a part of the game - not as a means to charge people more money. This has garnered them a very dedicated following. I havent played TF2 since it was released, because it isnt my type of game, but from what I understand they havent charged for content either and that game is massively popular... do you think for a second they are losing money by not charging for that content?

In fact, here are some excerpts of an article about TF2 with Valve -

"So, for us, for free is the way to go. The gamers play the game, they want to keep playing the game, so we've collected their fifty bucks at the start, and once they're in the park, they can ride any ride they want in the park. So, for us that's been the philosophy."

"For us, we see it as an investment on our next product," he said. "Gamers won't hesitate when they see a game coming out from Valve. They'll think 'I've heard of this but will it be worth my money?' We want to take that off the table."

Your L4D example is a perfect one... see how people reacted to being charged for basically extra content on the same game? That whole fiasco is actually a breath of fresh air for me. But then again, I have self-control and I expect more from companies I give my hard earned money to.

We dont need game companies becoming General Motors who designed their cars to break after 'x' amount of years as part of their business model to rake more money from a cash strapped consumer. As consumers of games, we should hold the game companies to creating memorable experiences not soon forgotten from the start, for one price. You shouldnt be encouraging them to reach into your pocket for little pieces of what should have been included in the first place, or added down the line as part of the original game.

Upvote 0
These guys seem to like DLC. Why, I dont know. The consumer has no obligation whatsoever. It's the company trying to sell something who needs to fit within the ability of the consumer to purchase. Encouraging a company to charge you more for something is not really understanding the position you're in.

edit - and you have a great point Zets... a significant number of people probably wont buy an expansion pack and this only serves to separate a community.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Point is...we dont know if DLC is planned AND second... the DLC for KF was what 1.45 E ? for 4 characters...the normal update contained the new weapons and fixes for free for everyone. There is no splitup in people who buyed it and those who can live without the extra awesome yellow biohazard suit. :eek::D So that plan is pretty reasonable for me. Also, the money goes to the developer of RO:HOS so iam extra happy...:D

Upvote 0
Of course I and everyone would prefer not to pay for added or extra content further down the track, it would be great if Tripwire gives HOS free and awesome support over the next few years after it's release in order to keep the game alive. I don't know about the sizes of RO's communities throughout the rest of the world, but here in Australia we only have 1 full server 2 days a week, and it has been further broken down by the DH mod which could be considered as kinda an example of DLC (but in the form a mod) splintering the community, but DH actually helped revive RO a bit over here, as RO is a very old game, with no new content and thus was dying, DH gave it a shot in the arm. I think that DLC would help keep the less hard core players hooked, rather than just releasing the game, supplying a few updates, a map here and there and letting the game fend for itself with only help from modders for the next 3 or 4 years.
I just don't want the game to go the way of RO here in Australia. If DLC free or charged would help keep it alive them I'm for it. I don't think it would splinter the community, especially if it was free and in the form of major updates. Free, publisiced support like this would help extend the life of HOS.
The only other thing I can think of would be that HOS is a runaway success, and we wouldn't have to wait for 10? years or so for the next installment, 2 at the most and that would help keep life in the franchise....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ffs if one more person comes in and shares their sophomoric ideas of how a game company needs to make money, and therefore its okay to dumb things down or charge for extra content, I'm gonna be sick.

In fact, here are some excerpts of an article about TF2 with Valve -

"So, for us, for free is the way to go. The gamers play the game, they want to keep playing the game, so we've collected their fifty bucks at the start, and once they're in the park, they can ride any ride they want in the park. So, for us that's been the philosophy."

"For us, we see it as an investment on our next product," he said. "Gamers won't hesitate when they see a game coming out from Valve. They'll think 'I've heard of this but will it be worth my money?' We want to take that off the table."

Your L4D example is a perfect one... see how people reacted to being charged for basically extra content on the same game? That whole fiasco is actually a breath of fresh air for me. But then again, I have self-control and I expect more from companies I give my hard earned money to.

We dont need game companies becoming General Motors who designed their cars to break after 'x' amount of years as part of their business model to rake more money from a cash strapped consumer. As consumers of games, we should hold the game companies to creating memorable experiences not soon forgotten from the start, for one price. You shouldnt be encouraging them to reach into your pocket for little pieces of what should have been included in the first place, or added down the line as part of the original game.

You seem to be sorely confused.

If you actually read about Valve beyond what supports your argument, you'll find out that TF2 is the exception for them. The content they produce for TF2 is essentially part of a marketing ploy. Every time theres a content update, theres lots of hype about it, they even do funny little videos to go with it.

Considering that most updates only involve 3 new weapons (half of which are just special versions of current weapons), and possibly a new map, and only come out once every 3-9 months, its not a great cost considering the extra customers they get.

The idea that if a games company decides to charge for extra content means they must be trying to rip people off is ridiculous.

Yes there are some bad offenders (mainly on consoles) who charge too much for not enough.

L4D 1 got support and updates just like any other game. L4D got an extra game mode, and a bunch of gameplay and graphics tweaks, and its going to get another update before the release of L4D2.

L4D 2 is going to contain around 50-100 new character and weapon models (of which 20 are new weapons), 3 new special infected (all which require new code, modelling, animation and sound), a new melee weapon system, improved AI direction system, new voice acting, and do 25 new maps (5 campaigns, 5 maps per campaign), not to mention all the new art for those maps, a new game mode not to mention all the balancing required for such a change.

You seriously think all that could have just been free updates on L4D1?

TF2 has not received 1/10th of that amount of content since it was released3 years ago.

TF2 is a fairly empty deathmatch affair. L4D is pretty much a large single player game with multiplayer co-op. I for one am glad Valve are offering so much new content, and if I don't like the demo, I won't buy the game.

You think a small company like Tripwire can do as much as Valve can for free?

You're thinking short when you ought to be thinking long.

If Tripwire only do free updates (which they should), the most we'll ever get is probably a few new maps, and a new vehicle, a couple of new weapons.

If they decide to do episodic content, or an add on ASWELL as free updates, you could see a massive extension in the life and size of the RO2 community.

I'm not asking "please tripwire, charge me money for something I would expect for free", its "please offer me a large expansion for a reasonable price that you otherwise wouldn't have made".

Last edited:
Upvote 0