• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Guns Yay!! Now need new ZEDS!!

brick_top1982

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
I feel that too many people are wanting more weapons, and not looking at how the game will be a cake walk if they are added.

Don't get me wrong, a new weapon here and there would be nice, but now that we got 2 new additions, I feel like we need a new ZED or two before we get a new anything.

We got a new sweep weapon and a new "Take out the big guys" weapon so I feel we need at least 1 new ZED in each category in the next patch.

I guess another ZED somewhere in between a Goredfast and a crawler: If anyone here has played Resident Evil 5, I was thinking of the Lickers or the Dogs in that game.

And for another big guy, somewhere in between a Bloat and a Fleshpound:
I hate to reference other games but this is the only way I can think of to get my idea across, Resident Evil 5, theres a kind of fat guy who can charge at you, he takes a bit of damage to put down and when he does hit you he knocks you back. Or something like the Tank in L4D, big with knock back abilities. And most importantly, I wish for it to not be decaped at all, except for when its just about dead.

Or just axe my ideas all together and add more characteristics to the current ZEDS. I don't know

Your thoughts........

howabout a swarm like 'zed' persey. consisting of about 20 undersized crawlers, these little bastards come in a small swarm and will crawl like ants over cars, on walls and on ceilings. better be packing a flamethrower! ( or grenades )

I like where you're going with this, forcing people to play the firebug since I feel that once people hit level 5 with that perk, they kinda just leave it alone.

Upvote 0
How about a zombie replicate my old teacher? I've always hate him so much I can blast him to oblivion over and over again. And again. And again.
Get a gore fast. Give him a nice suit, torn a bit. No, dont change the style of walking, just keep it,but dont keep the run ability. Make the blade less sharp, more like a stick. Now, add support ability for it (like, zeds nearby got more dam/HP regen/etc)
Everyone who want to win must blast him first.
Way to go.

Upvote 0
that regen idea is interesting, perhaps some zed that heals other zeds? or just another prototype of the FP that eats clots, cralwers and gorefasts to heal himself.

I would personally vote for a swarm type zed ( you already have scrakes which force a zerker, stalkers which should force a commando, zeds which force supports...) so why not force a pyro?

second to that i would like to see variants of current zeds. clots that picked up a plank, knife, gorefast blade ( they would use it two handed mind you, with their hands on the chunk of gorefast arm.) perhaps some with bits of food on them. the possibility to kneecap them (shoot gorefast/clot in leg) then they either hobble, or fall down and pull themselves forwards with arms.

basically what im getting at is that each bullet fired should have an effect, as it is now, zeds are fine, till theyr dead. kinda odd that they go from fine, chipper and A-ok till you do the remaining 1 hp damage.

perhaps even fear in lower level Zeds? clots quivering in fear of 2 zerkers with chainsaws..

Upvote 0
I like the idea of a ranged Zed. We've seen plenty of failed specimens and their crazed abilities, so here's an idea; how about a specimen that DIDN'T fail? Some kind of Supersoldier, with the same visual style as the others and some kind of gun grafted to it's arm. While in a typical zombie game, I'd hate the idea, this is the kind of soldier that Horzine planned to create from the start, so I feel it shouldn't ruin the atmosphere too much. I feel it would work like a Patriarch, in that it would stop to prep it's gun for a few short bursts and then run in towards you for the kill, though it would still have the health of a Gorefast or siren and remain very much killable.

I fear some people will still be against the idea, since it would mean they have to seek cover during a conflict. I, in fact, see it to be no different than facing a Siren, except that it can only target one player at a time and will give considerably more time to react. Then after it's done with a couple ranged attacks, it'll run at you like the standard Gorefast, but with a weaker melee than one.

Upvote 0
I hate the idea of ranged zeds for this game. I dunno why, but it just doesn't fit well.

And I recall TWI saying something about how they don't intend to add more zeds to the game, period...

Well they've pretty much run out of options for close combat specimen, most ideas would just end up being derivatives. So, ranged specimen that don't rush into the jaws of death would make the game SIGNIFICANTLY more difficult, and they'd be unique among all the other specimen.

Also I don't recall TWI saying they didn't intended any more specimens, period. I think a comment like that would be thrown around a lot. I could be wrong though.

Upvote 0
Some kind of Supersoldier, with [...] some kind of gun grafted to it's arm.

How about add both gun and rocket? Give him a big blooming flower in the chest, a pop-out eye, and a little stealth mode? I proudly present, ladies and gentlemen, the patriarch.
This is the game where each player need to kill hundreds of zeds to survive. How could we do that? Because we have a bit more superior: range attack. Give them the same ability, and you can change the mode "normal" to suicidal as well.

After a bit thinking, I came up with the new boss: a 3 fp-like head monster, you have to blast all 3 to kill it. His hand is just like fp, but he also got a 2 chain gun on each shoulder. And after each head is removed, he run away, pick-up some energy drink aka cloth to fully recovery his HP. How about that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How about add both gun and rocket? Give him a big blooming flower in the chest, a pop-out eye, and a little stealth mode? I proudly present, ladies and gentlemen, the patriarch.
This is the game where each player need to kill hundreds of zeds to survive. How could we do that? Because we have a bit more superior: range attack. Give them the same ability, and you can change the mode "normal" to suicidal as well.

I must have missed the bit, where I said we should replace EVERY ENEMY with my specimen idea...my bad...
By no means should there be hundreds of machine-gun wielding zombies. Having low numbers of them, leaves them at a near equal threat as the current ranged enemies, the Bloat and the Siren. The main difference being, the two that already exist can target multiple players, making them more dangerous if you stop to think about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A ranged Zed would be nice too... it'd be cool if it had an attack like Quake 3 Team Arena's nailgun (so you can see it coming and move).

Maybe it would even be a Zed that sorta ran away from the players? All Zeds just automatically try to get up close to huggy lovely distance, but this Zed would like... go towards the players, but keep its distance to something like 10 meters? (So if you chase it, it runs away.)

Upvote 0
With the wall of close-combat specimens around, any ranged specimens added would have a ridiculous advantage...

The exact reason why Sirens can be so deadly, particularly since they tend to hide behind other Zeds. If the advantage is really that ridiculous, Sirens would be gone by now.

I would like to see more ranged Zeds, but with people trying to find so many problems with them, I felt I should throw a couple other ideas out there. Someone mentioned having a doglike enemy which, imho, sounds like it could scare the crap out of me and probably quite a few other players if it had the right look and feel to it. Since Zeds need some kind of unique ability to set them apart from others, perhaps it could poison players with it's attacks? Then the only way to stop the slow acting poison would be to heal yourself/let a medic or other player heal you? Good way to keep medic on their toes and to steer clear of them. Another idea I thought up would be to have a suicide enemy. One that'd run up to players and simply blow up in their face, not necessarily with a fiery explosion, but maybe with Bloat Bile, Poison or some other appropriate substitute? Unless players wouldn't mind a real explosion coming off of them, in which case we'd have the walking bomb.

Edit: I thought up the idea of having some kind of enemy with a hallucinogenic attack. Something that'll truly screw over your vision for a lasting time, moreso than Bloat Bile or the Siren's scream. Maybe even some kind of Brightness altering, blinding attack.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've toyed with this idea myself, thinking of a new specimen that could be added into the game to mix things up a bit. An idea I came up with, is a one time one game specimen, a mini-boss of sorts, I've yet to decide on how he looks but I have put thought into how it would play out.

After Wave 5 for long, wave 4 for medium and wave 2 for short, this specimen will spawn part way through a wave, it can spawn in any wave after the activation wave, what wave it spawns in will be randomised to keep players guessing. This specimen can spawn part way through a wave when there are still specimens left to be killed, however it will only spawn when all of the active specimens have been killed off, after it's death, the wave will continue as normal.

It's purpose is to break up the gameplay, to force players out of whatever hole they're camping in and generally to just mix things up, keep players on their toes. I was thinking it could be similar in design to the Pinky Demon in Doom 3, make it strong, fast and brutal, but not as deadly as the patriarch. It could even fit into the story as the patriarch's pet dog or something.

Upvote 0
The exact reason why Sirens can be so deadly, particularly since they tend to hide behind other Zeds. If the advantage is really that ridiculous, Sirens would be gone by now.

I would like to see more ranged Zeds, but with people trying to find so many problems with them, I felt I should throw a couple other ideas out there. Someone mentioned having a doglike enemy which, imho, sounds like it could scare the crap out of me and probably quite a few other players if it had the right look and feel to it. Since Zeds need some kind of unique ability to set them apart from others, perhaps it could poison players with it's attacks? Then the only way to stop the slow acting poison would be to heal yourself/let a medic or other player heal you? Good way to keep medic on their toes and to steer clear of them. Another idea I thought up would be to have a suicide enemy. One that'd run up to players and simply blow up in their face, not necessarily with a fiery explosion, but maybe with Bloat Bile, Poison or some other appropriate substitute? Unless players wouldn't mind a real explosion coming off of them, in which case we'd have the walking bomb.

Edit: I thought up the idea of having some kind of enemy with a hallucinogenic attack. Something that'll truly screw over your vision for a lasting time, moreso than Bloat Bile or the Siren's scream. Maybe even some kind of Brightness altering, blinding attack.

Actually, stealing a couple of your ideas, I think a dog-like specimen with low health (between clot and gorefast), but fast movement (not too fast, like gorefast charge speed, but all the time) and the spawn ratio of the siren would add a new element to the game. It would be about half the height of a clot, so you do have to aim down somewhat but still easier to hit than a crawler, and it would poison like you mentioned, low consistant damage until you got your drug fix xP

Upvote 0