• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hit detection

Hit detection

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
sorry, i just read the title of the poll, which is hit detection, not incoming fire indicator ;)

to go along with the poll, i don't care about hit detection either way, plus it will be optional anyway so it won't matter.

incoming fire indicator however, which i guess CCCP is referring too maybe???, there is no way that should be in RO period. not in "relaxed realism", "realistic", or "let's make it easy for the COD fanboys" modes....it's completely unrealistic and not RO so there is no reason to even add it just as optional. tell people to use their eyes and ears to figure out where fire is coming from :rolleyes:
Sorry for confusion yes I meant the incoming fire indicator
Which dumb down RO , I say if you not fast in realizing where the fire coming from you respawn in couple minutes and come back to try again and again and again especially if I'm on the other side :p
Sniper will become not as efective as before too.

Upvote 0
These are my thoughts on such an indicator.

At first I didn't like the idea because I thought it was unrealistic, but in real life it's alot easier to understand things like direction of fire than it is in a video game. It's just like they were saying in the video (and have said in the FAQ for the old mod) -- if it's easy to do in real life, it should be easy to do in the game.

They made it much easier to mount weapons on surfaces than in RO:OST -- which was a major issue because such an action is pretty damn easy to do in real life and yet in game it was nearly impossible at times, often getting you killed.

This direction of fire indicator can be seen as kind of the same thing I suppose. Rather than thinking of it existing just to make the game easier, consider it a feature that actually brings the experience closer to real life.

That all said, however, I would like to see it look alot less obtrusive on the screen -- right now it isn't subtle enough. But this game is in Alpha form and isn't even close to completion so I think it's too soon to start panicking about its content.

Upvote 0
If by "earphones" you mean ear plugs, well, those are awful for games and I suggest getting a proper headset or head phones.

Yeah, sorry - using Logitech headphones with the mic. I can't use my 5.1 for RO since I prefer to use a headset with a microphone.

That said, I can generally figure out where shots are coming from, but not as well as when I'm playing with the 5.1 on. So if someone doesn't have the option, I figure they'll be at an unrealistic disadvantage (as a person should really have better aural resolution than stereo in real life).

Upvote 0
I've never had a problem with where I'm being shot at. I can pinpoint even in "loud" combat situations, it's all about spotting that bright flash while listening carefully at all times and IMO adds into the authentic RO atmosphere.

I hope this isn't in the "realistic" server setting which I'll be using, voted for "NO" anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
thanks for clarifying CCCP. yep i too agree with most people in here that incoming fire indicators should never, and i mean NEVER be put into RO.....does not even deserve to be put in "super relaxed realish realism" mode.

in real life, you won't have a little flash SHOW you that there is a guy shooting from behind you to the right. :rolleyes:

yes in real life you can figure out where fire is coming from so TW is trying to add that immersion into the video game. the realistic visual aspect is already there in muzzle flashes and tracers so why add something completely unrealistic to try to help players??? if they feel they have to make it easier then improve the audio effects so that players could better locate gunfire by hearing it. in RO right now, i also have no problem picking up the general direction of the fire just by listening for it.

Upvote 0
i think its kinda funny how it says "this is not cs" considering cs doesnt eve nhave hit detection but i get the point, any way hit detection sucks (i know i said it was good earlier but i put even more thoguht into it) twi is saying that when uget shot u can tel lwhere its from. let me tell u, when u are shot, u usually drop down and are disoriented, maybe not disoriented but ud be confused or something, surprised...

Upvote 0