• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

IGN Gamescom write up

this sounded really interested.....to me, this seems to mean that each individual objective will have an allotted amount of time the attackers have to capture it as opposed to the whole map having a set time limit to capture all objectives. curious to see more about this "lock down mechanic"

I am guessing it's going to be a little like the TF2 capture system. I am guessing this also encourages people to go into the capzone big improvement.

Upvote 0
well, MG's pivoting on their bipod is only realistic when not proned, as you wont be able to turn your body much at all when locked behind a weapon
(with the current system of having to fold your bipod and then unfold it again to change position)

what id really like to see is beeing able to raise your MG from the ground with bipod unfolded and just place it 45

Upvote 0
looks like it's gonna be awesome, almost scares me that it might not be a niche game anymore, but a popular succes.
but lots of the features seem to be made to reduce the "bad" influence of people who will jump in and think they will rule because they rule at COD...
weapon unlocks etc probably will cool down those who aren't serious.

i like the idea of the coop mode with AI, but i hope that isn't gonna force the maps to be a series of tunnels. and that the game isn't moving away from heavy combats where you are an insignificant POS, to special forces-type of action where you can be the next vassili hero that wins the war on his own.

Upvote 0
Well, we can always count on the No Crosshairs to weed out a few of the truly undesirable players :p

I like when they put on the big Steam sales and a new player enters the sever. Quickly they search for the button that allows them to type something into the chat box. The next message you see is "no crosshairs I can't play this game...it's to hard....where are the crosshairs" :p

If we get to many stupid kids we could just password a server for the old hands around here and play the right way:D

Upvote 0
I like when they put on the big Steam sales and a new player enters the sever. Quickly they search for the button that allows them to type something into the chat box. The next message you see is "no crosshairs I can't play this game...it's to hard....where are the crosshairs" :p

If we get to many stupid kids we could just password a server for the old hands around here and play the right way:D

and the password hint would be Shambeh ****** :D

Upvote 0
I'm curious about the ease of spotting enemies in HoS as compared to ROOST.

In ROOST, you can easily spot enemies up to a certain distance because of the way the lighting keeps the faces of the soldiers artificially lit up. Enemies hidden in windows/shadowy areas are easy to see because of this. At a certain distance the shadows never really hide the character. If you are further out and cant see the lit up faces, all you have to do is be patient and wait for them to fire because every single shot taken with every gun available gives the telltale fire sprite at the tip of the gun. Every single shot! Regardless if the player is in full sun or a shadowy corridor. It's like a beacon shouting 'here I am!'.

So I am wondering, maybe a dev can shed some 'light' (hurr) on how the lighting upon the players will look. Can people actually hide in shadows now and not be seen? Will every shot of every gun give away the position of the player? I think MG's and snipers are at a huge disadvantage when you can see them easily either because of the lit up faces or they give away their position just by firing.

How many thousands of times have I waited for that MG or sniper (or anyone for that matter) to fire from all the way across the map just so I can see the fire sprite, and then in return pop a single shot right at the sprite and score a kill - from insaaaane distances. All because of that damn fire sprite.

With the close quarters nature of Stalingrad I would imagine it would slow gameplay down a bit and add that oh so desirable tension when moving around if weapons didnt immediately give away their position and you couldnt see some bright face looking down from a window or out of the rubble at you.

Devs, any hints as to how the new engine along with your plans for the game handle this situation?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm curious about the ease of spotting enemies in HoS as compared to ROOST.

In ROOST, you can easily spot enemies up to a certain distance because of the way the lighting keeps the faces of the soldiers artificially lit up. Enemies hidden in windows/shadowy areas are easy to see because of this. At a certain distance the shadows never really hide the character. If you are further out and cant see the lit up faces, all you have to do is be patient and wait for them to fire because every single shot taken with every gun available gives the telltale fire sprite at the tip of the gun. Every single shot! Regardless if the player is in full sun or a shadowy corridor. It's like a beacon shouting 'here I am!'.

So I am wondering, maybe a dev can shed some 'light' (hurr) on how the lighting upon the players will look. Can people actually hide in shadows now and not be seen? Will every shot of every gun give away the position of the player? I think MG's and snipers are at a huge disadvantage when you can see them easily either because of the lit up faces or they give away their position just by firing.

How many thousands of times have I waited for that MG or sniper (or anyone for that matter) to fire from all the way across the map just so I can see the fire sprite, and then in return pop a single shot right at the sprite and score a kill - from insaaaane distances. All because of that damn fire sprite.

With the close quarters nature of Stalingrad I would imagine it would slow gameplay down a bit and add that oh so desirable tension when moving around if weapons didnt immediately give away their position and you couldnt see some bright face looking down from a window or out of the rubble at you.

Devs, any hints as to how the new engine along with your plans for the game handle this situation?

Check out the UE3 global illumination video- the lighting looks top notch there, but I do know what you're talking about and yes it is a very big problem.

Upvote 0
I don't get where you guys are ripping the "gfx look pretty bad atm". The level(s) look top notch, only thing that struck my eye is that MP 40 material/texture isn't that high res as we are used to.

i sort of have mixed feelings about the screenshots we have seen, the levels seem well made and detailed. but the way it all looks seems a bit off, everything looks gritty and contrasted to the extreme with light effects everywhere, it's almost cinematic. and the environment has this dark shine to it, asif it had rained oil lol.
when i google for stalingrad images, i see dull and dusty environments caused by the pulveration of concrete etc.
but thats from seeing parts of 1 level only, night maps are hard to make look good. and all these new fancy effects from UE3 have to be used somewhere eventually.

im impatient to see daytime images though, when i remember the first screens i saw of Ost, they gave me sort of the same wrong image. while ingame it feeled entirely different.

Upvote 0