• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

BSOD Whenever I Untick System Driver in Audio

rad15

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 18, 2009
If someone could please help me this would be very much appreciated.

Specs:
6GB DDR3 RAM
Intel i7 920
280gtx
Xfi Extreme Gamer Sound Card
Vista 64

Now i want 5.1 surround sound, but when i have system driver ticked it only gives me 2.1. When i untick it, i get my beautiful 5.1, but then after a few seconds ingame i BSOD. The problem seems to be ctaud2k.sys which is the driver used for creative sound cards. I googled this issue and people do have this issue.
What i ask is if someone has a workaround or if there is another way to get 5.1 without having to untick System Driver.
I have updated OpenAL and my Sound Drivers.

If someone could please help me this would be very much appreciated.

Specs:
6GB DDR3 RAM
Intel i7 920
280gtx
Xfi Extreme Gamer Sound Card
Vista 64

Now i want 5.1 surround sound, but when i have system driver ticked it only gives me 2.1. When i untick it, i get my beautiful 5.1, but then after a few seconds ingame i BSOD. The problem seems to be ctaud2k.sys which is the driver used for creative sound cards. I googled this issue and people do have this issue.
What i ask is if someone has a workaround or if there is another way to get 5.1 without having to untick System Driver.
I have updated OpenAL and my Sound Drivers.

Mm, maybe this could be the Source of my random freezing ingame...mine doesn't BSOD, but it locks up and almost BSOD's, unless I minimize in time.

Upvote 0
What fixed it for me was getting the latest driver and disabling XRAM on my X-Fi via a registry key.

You should have:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Creative Tech\Driver\PCI&VEN_1102&DEV_0005

Add a new DWORD - DisableXRAM and set it to 1

As far as I know only the driver from March 09, beta driver from Nov 08, and the new Windows 7 driver look for that DWORD.

This works in all UT2004 and UT3 games for me.

Upvote 0
What fixed it for me was getting the latest driver and disabling XRAM on my X-Fi via a registry key.

You should have:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Creative Tech\Driver\PCI&VEN_1102&DEV_0005

Add a new DWORD - DisableXRAM and set it to 1

As far as I know only the driver from March 09, beta driver from Nov 08, and the new Windows 7 driver look for that DWORD.

This works in all UT2004 and UT3 games for me.

Windows 7 RC1 with Auzentech Prelude here - I don't have the "driver" part of that string.

Upvote 0
I can confirm this problem. Killing Floor causes a BSOD related to ctaud2k.sys. Operation system: Vista 64Bit, Win7 64Bit. If I remember correctly this problem does not occur in WinXP (32Bit).

My sound card: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro PCIe
Driver 2.6.13 (newest one via Windows Update)

Is there any hope that this get fixed? And is the problem identified yet?

Upvote 0
Fixed!

Fixed!

For all of you with the problem with x64 vista or windows 7 -> creative x-fi -> system driver uncheck-> bsod

Go to the [url]http://support.creative.com[/URL] and find your x-fi card.

Install the latest drivers for your card. Make sure you get the "Creative Software AutoUpdate"-program with the driver package.

Then download the "Product identification module update". This fixes the "Creative Software AutoUpdate" so that it will recognize your x-fi card.

Now use "Creative Software AutoUpdate" program (start menu) to update your drivers and ESPECIALLY install Creative Alchemy.

Reboot

Start "Creative Software AutoUpdate" again and update the just installed Creative alchemy to version 1.41.02. *Note* it doesn't seem to work with previous versions.

Reboot

Open Creative alchemy and push the "add" button. Game title= Red Orchestra. Check game path and put your "red orchestra\system" folders path there. example "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\red orchestra\System"

REMEMBER to move red orchestra to the "Alchemy enabled" side of the program.

Now start Red Orchestra and enjoy surround sound even with system driver ticked.

Ps. Creative says on their own website that alchemy doesn't work with Red orchestra [url]http://connect.creativelabs.com/alchemy/Lists/Games/AllItems.aspx[/URL] THATS BULL**** !

Ps. For all you sceptics there; This works!

Upvote 0
Ive had this problem and have been forced to use garbage default driver sound since the beginning. After being curious I decided to try several things, and several fixes do it for me. I have a Fatality X-Fi, with the latest drivers.
The method Delerium said which is disabling your XRAM via registry is a valid method, and worked for me in KF. The thing is I dont have this issue with UT2004, just Killing Floor. So idk if its a problem with the game or something else. Another thing that worked for was turning "Low Sound Detail". Was able to have XRAM enabled and use my sound card driver just fine, at the cost of the sound sounding rather compressed and low detail of course

Upvote 0
Ive had this problem and have been forced to use garbage default driver sound since the beginning. After being curious I decided to try several things, and several fixes do it for me. I have a Fatality X-Fi, with the latest drivers.
The method Delerium said which is disabling your XRAM via registry is a valid method, and worked for me in KF. The thing is I dont have this issue with UT2004, just Killing Floor. So idk if its a problem with the game or something else. Another thing that worked for was turning "Low Sound Detail". Was able to have XRAM enabled and use my sound card driver just fine, at the cost of the sound sounding rather compressed and low detail of course

Kind of a known issue with the Creative sound cards. Visit their forums to see the rants from angry customers (I am among them).

Never buying a Creative card again.

Upvote 0