• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map Project Aretha (working name)

if youre going to make a map, the least you can expect is a bit of criticism. waterworks looks great but the gameplay isnt so good. and you know that because you made the map like you would make a UT deathmatch map.
You are wrong : my post was not for you. That was maybe a little bit ambiguous, sorry.
I think that everyone is open to criticism on this forum, don't worry about that. This forum is useful to have advice and to improve our maps.
Sincerely, it could be great to have this kind of point of view in the appropriate thread. You can found the good topic in the KF final map.
The map is not yet finished, and you never posted something useful.
About your last post, that's not a good behavior to come here and to say that. I think that everyone is open, and you can really help people with your comments. So I invite you to give your opinion in the correct thread and do this for everyone.
Thanks.

Sorry for the off topic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rest assured, we don't take gameplay lightly. We are both experienced mappers for source engine. Besides, that's what all our internal testing and your future beta testing is for

Zerreth > I prefer to think that I misread your sentence.

I prefer to think that this is a misunderstanding :)

I meant 'we' as in me and the wanderer, not me and dextronaut.
If you're looking down upon source mappers then I should remind you that the source mapping and source modding community in general is much more supported and alive than any unreal or other engine whatsoever has ever been. Personally me and the wanderer feel very restricted on what we can deliver via the stripped down version of the unreal engine 2.5 that killing floor delivers.

I think that everyone is open to criticism on this forum, don't worry about that. This forum is useful to have advice and to improve our maps.
Sincerely, it could be great to have this kind of point of view in the appropriate thread.
So I invite you to give your opinion in the correct thread and do this for everyone.

He's got a point there...

mb called kf-Demco ?

lol, no this (the demco area) is only about a 4th or 5th of the map. When we're in beta we'll play the naming game :)

And also one thing to keep in mind, not every light u see has a corona. Only very bright lights without covers do. so plz have some soft light in ur maps. Like the ones in supermarket have covers and u dont see coronas on them. And tubelights should not have coronas imo.

True, but it does look pretty :D I'm looking into it. Going for more of a glow effect than the bright light flash corona that's currently in the map.

Upvote 0
If you're looking down upon source mappers then I should remind you that the source mapping and source modding community in general is much more supported and alive than any unreal or other engine whatsoever has ever been. Personally me and the wanderer feel very restricted on what we can deliver via the stripped down version of the unreal engine 2.5 that killing floor delivers.

Well you are dealing with an engine older than the source engine. And source had been improved since its first release so of course it will have more capabilities. Imagine if this game was made with Unreal 3 engine. (OMFG)

I would just like to say, you guys are doing an amazing job with such an outdated engine. I just cant imagine what you could be doing if this was unreal 3 engine you were working with. Cant wait to actually play it.

BTW. Are the screens shooped?

Upvote 0
Hey.

Hey.

I know how about the name KF-Show-me-don't-tell-me!!!!

LOL. On a serious note. Looks cool. I can imagine the work just in those areas alone. I want to be a real map maker some day:(. Somebody wants to pay me to go to school and work for them I will.:D LOL. Keep up the good work. Hope to see it soon. Oh yea do not forget to put on the white list. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
It seems that Tripwire put the quality bar a LOT higher on their new map release. I also found a ****load of brand new models in some packages, most of wich aren't used in current maps. Maybe a redo of the old maps could be in store ?

Suddenly there's a lot of quality content available, and we're planning on using that content :D I'll post more screens of new areas in the upcoming days...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
yea they do. im wondering if its a static mesh or an additive brush. to me it looks like an additive brush. try finding something like the yellow stairs in waterworks, but retextured to a more fitting color.

Those are temporal stairs with a dev texture on it :p ( yes we even have custom dev textures :D ) In screenshot 3 there are some additive brushes that still have dev textures on them and the forklift in the background of the first shot isn't textured yet.

But as I'm typing, those stairs have long been replaced with a staticmesh which does have a rusted texture (maybe with yellow paint accents, I haven't decided on that one yet :p )

I'm currently busy importing all the new models that are usable for the map...

Last edited:
Upvote 0