• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Questions for UT2k4/Killing Floor SDK users.

chicxulub

Grizzled Veteran
May 28, 2009
Why are the KF mods so non-existent?
The only thing that we've seen from the typically excellent and prolific mod community are maps.
Has the SDK been neutered in some way or am I just too naive to know how long it takes to make these things?
Shouldn't a lot of the existing models, skins, etc, be available (perhaps with some? a lot? of tweaking) from the UT2k4 community for basing stuff on?
It seems that most games based on Unreal technology come with all functionality in the base engine, which is A LOT.

One thing that I'd most like to have is a new voice pack for the trader. The number of lines is way too short, and, IMHO, her seductive voice falls flat. With no disrespect intended.

cx

It's not very easy (Or possible) to implement new custom content client-side to replace the existing stuff (i.e. a Trader soundpack), so you'd have to go with the use of a mutator, and to create a mutator you'd have to understand all this Unreal script or code or whatever, and even with a functional mutator you'd need to get it whitelisted or else you won't have perks enabled at all (Which most players, understandably, would detest), and even with a functional and whitelisted mutator you'd have to find some server willing to run your one mutator that accommodates whatever minor cosmetic change you applied. Not worth the effort.

Upvote 0
KFed didn't ship w/ the "MAKE AWESOME MOD" button so it's put a lot of strain on things. ;)
Mods take a long time. Small scripts, depending on how apt you may be w/ uscript, can be done in a day or so depending on how complex they are. The language barrier is from what I've seen the biggest issue. Despite 2k4 having a huge mod community, KF being on Steam seems to have attracted a lot of players familiar w/ Source and the engines are vastly different.
Defence Alliance 2 is a mod coming to KF, so it's not at all impossible if you're familiar w/ the engine.

Upvote 0
KFed didn't ship w/ the "MAKE AWESOME MOD" button so it's put a lot of strain on things. ;)
Mods take a long time. Small scripts, depending on how apt you may be w/ uscript, can be done in a day or so depending on how complex they are. The language barrier is from what I've seen the biggest issue. Despite 2k4 having a huge mod community, KF being on Steam seems to have attracted a lot of players familiar w/ Source and the engines are vastly different.
Defence Alliance 2 is a mod coming to KF, so it's not at all impossible if you're familiar w/ the engine.

Right. I wasn't berating anyone in the community, just wondering. I know the Unreal engine is one of the most moddable out there. I'm a professional programmer (20+ years) with a language fetish but haven't yet checked out much uscript.

I was really kind of wondering if TWI had obfuscated the engine a bit... for whatever reason. After all, it's a mod itself. I don't know if it's just vestigial, but there are references in the KillingFloor.ini file that make KF look like it's still a mod. Modding a mod may be harder.

thanks,
cx

Upvote 0
It's not very easy (Or possible) to implement new custom content client-side to replace the existing stuff (i.e. a Trader soundpack), so you'd have to go with the use of a mutator, and to create a mutator you'd have to understand all this Unreal script or code or whatever, and even with a functional mutator you'd need to get it whitelisted or else you won't have perks enabled at all (Which most players, understandably, would detest), and even with a functional and whitelisted mutator you'd have to find some server willing to run your one mutator that accommodates whatever minor cosmetic change you applied. Not worth the effort.
Odd... I just d/l'd a voice pack for UT.* and it just installed and worked with any server. It was a client only mod.

I've seen that there're a LOT of people clamoring for a better trader voice.

cx

Upvote 0
i saw some threads where people were able to import models into the game but they won't work. you can only view them in the model preview window.

Very odd.
I hate to say it, and this may be censored or get me a wrist slap, but this may be to allow them to sell 4 new models for $2. I paid for them as much as a donation as to play in them, and I'd probably buy other non-free packs, but if this is the true purpose I am saddened.
But perhaps I should stop being a speculating douche bag and pop over and look at the modding forum.

Just my $2 worth.

cx

Upvote 0
Very odd.
I hate to say it, and this may be censored or get me a wrist slap, but this may be to allow them to sell 4 new models for $2. I paid for them as much as a donation as to play in them, and I'd probably buy other non-free packs, but if this is the true purpose I am saddened.
But perhaps I should stop being a speculating douche bag and pop over and look at the modding forum.

Just my $2 worth.

cx

And it also might be a shocker to you that even game companies (gasp) need to make money too! Stop being a putz and berating a company for trying to keep their wages afloat.

Upvote 0
Very odd.

Just my $2 worth.

cx

Seriously, check this topic out, [url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=35244[/URL]
See, ppl can, and have add more than just skin into the game. Everything has its reason, and not every reason is the same as what you think it is.

Upvote 0
its not really an origional idea, its basically the eastern front ww2 with zombies.
A huge virus takes grip of Europe in the midst of Hitlers Operation Barbarossa, the axis reached Stalingrad when the virus takes a turn for the worst and soldiers (not just german soldiers) and civilians basically become zombies, some mutate too and whatnot (thus creating different zombie classes/types).

Basically, i'd love this mod to happen, i think it would be a great. Most of the weapons/sounds/textures/code is all ther to be used. The weapons and gameplay could be less 'realistic' than RO, making it a bit more arcady like KF. I can make textures/sounds/and also map (if someone knows how to export the soldier skins into photoshop i can 'zombify' them), i just dont really know how to start and the coding side of things, and what to import/export etc.
I've had the mod name idea floating around my head too 'Orchestra X'.

im actually surprised no one is working on something like this. With the alot of the work done (models, textures etc) this would cut the modding time down drastically.

it could be expanded into different game modes, like 'Hold The Line' when you have to hold off the zombies for 15 mins or something...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Very odd.

Just my $2 worth.

cx
I wrote a response to a similar query at another forum. The question there was, why someone would want to pay 2 bucks for new playermodels if there are thousands of custom-made player models out there. I'll just quote my response here:
There are no worthwhile custom skins for Killing Floor so this is a purely theoretical question.

I'll take another game as an example, which has loads of custom skins (and that's the exception!):
No offense to anyone who made skins (I'd like to include playermodels in the term skin as well, for the purpose of this post) for UT2004, but have you looked around for good player skins? A vast majority are downright bad. Bad re-color jobs, bad looking nude or almost-nude skins, bad necrified versions of popular characters... Of the few that are acceptable many lack team-skins or have some other deficit like missing animations for certain actions. The tiny fraction of skins that really are on par with the retail ones more often than not do not fit in with the rest of the characters, which is amazing in its own right considering how broad the spectrum is in UT2004. This leaves only a selected few skins that are actually good and fit in and of those half of them require twice the processing power to run properly than the retail ones.
And when you do finally find that holy grail of a perfect skin - you can't see yourself and others on the server will see you as Jakob because they don't have it installed.
Might sound overly negative, but it's true.:lol:

Getting four skins that are implemented in the game, on par with or even surpassing the existent ones for just 1.79

Upvote 0
Seriously, check this topic out,http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=35244[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=35244[/URL]
See, ppl can, and have add more than just skin into the game. Everything has its reason, and not every reason is the same as what you think it is.

Most reasons are not what I think they are. This was just pessimistic speculation. TWI's way too overzealous response to people trying to access the new models was disturbing to me. And then they come out with a $2 reason for it. I don't think it was very nice of them to treat their fans this way.

But you've shown me the errors of my ways and I thank you.
I'm waiting anxiously for new art.

regards,
cx

Upvote 0
I wrote a response to a similar query at another forum. The question there was, why someone would want to pay 2 bucks for new playermodels if there are thousands of custom-made player models out there. I'll just quote my response here:

Excellent point.
But while the original skins are high quality, they are very derivative of each other. Blue vs camo. Not all, but some.
And of the new skins, I only like one. The others are very well done, but IMHO, let's say... distracting.
But, like you, I bought the pack and enjoy my new model.

On question: Does the good Dr's huge head increase his hit box. I do know that it blocks more of my view.

regards,
cx

Upvote 0
The weapons and gameplay could be less 'realistic' than RO, making it a bit more arcady like KF.

Ugh, no. We need more realism in zombie games, not less.

I want a game as realistic as RO with zombies. I was hoping KF would be it, but it's not quite.

Just because it's set in a fictional version of the real world with zombies or whatever, doesn't mean realism related to firearms and normal human capabilities should go out the window.

Upvote 0