• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why so many muts on servers???

{Core}Craig

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2008
I cam back from being a way for a few weeks so my Casche had deleted. When I went to join some servers (TWB, TaT (i think) and some others) I have to download some really stupid sounding tiny files, but they wont download, its says size 0 bites and doesnt download or stops at 93.6% everytime.

I know some of these change uniform colour ever so slightly or camo etc, but why do we actually need this???

Example I wanted to join clan mates on TWB 50 player server and i couldnt get

I often wonder this myself. For the times I actually bother to wait and let the extra junk download, I never notice the difference in-game.

Im sure someone spent a lot of time making it, but it really doesnt seem add much to improving my play time. It just makes me frustrated that I have to wait for all it to download. It makes me feel like when im downloading a ton of pointless quake kill sounds in counter strike...

Upvote 0
If ever there are for instance uniform "mutators," they will be pushed to the client upon connecting to the server as these need to be added to the server packages or what-have-you. If this doesn't happen, you will end up with the zombie bug. The reason for there being multiple versions of these small files is simply to add variation to those new models, generally in the form of face textures (I resoundingly failed in an attempt to make random face texture assignment to reduce the number of these files).

I'm pretty sure this is how it goes.

Upvote 0
Ok so face textures . . .

Are the stock faces that bad. I know the faces are based on Ramm and thats why they are so plug ugly :p but why need to change.

They are the stock face textures but you need to specify which ones the game should be using as otherwise every player character will look the same. For a PlayerRecordClass or whatever, a number of things about a new model are described and among them are the body skin and the face skin. For a new uniform item you would have say, 5 different variations (its what I did at least) with the same body skin but a different face skin each time so its not an attack of the clones.

Upvote 0
I'm with Craig, I loathe all these mutations & despite having a 20MB line they take ages to download or don't work at all.

I don't care if people look the same. If I wanted individuality & a hundred different rendered faces, uniforms etc I'd play an MMO.

I'm sure virtually no one that put several massive holes in my body with their MG gave thought to how wonderfully furry & comfortable my coat must be.

Upvote 0