• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Left 4 Dead 2 Announced

Wow, few more weapons and ammo and a few different zombies... why not put that in the current l4d for free? Jeez, this is just about making money.

nuff said. this has less new content then a halo map pack. the only way this is justified is if it uses a new engine.

everything they added could've been added to the current L4D. Even the new AI engine and characters. THIS IS ABOUT MAKING MONEY. That will only be verified if they charge 50 bucks for it on release.

Upvote 0
I'll be getting it myself. Though I greatly dislike the fact they announced it so early (had they waited a year or two they could have skipped this furor entirely), it looks awesome and there's bound to be a sale sometime (like the four-finger discount or whatever it was called).

It certainly has more weapons than L4D1 (several different assault rifles, a pair of shotguns, a variety of melee weapons, alternative ammo types for the guns) and some new mechanics : the "ammo pack" that refills your ammo - surely implemented because they plan to not sprinkle ammo piles around so liberally, the "adrenaline" that enables you to melee infinitely, meaning that melee-cooldown has been implemented to campaign mode. The new crescendo events, new infected, the "uncommon commons."

Strikes me as worth the price. *shrug*

Upvote 0
Totally not buying Left 4 Dead 2. The reasons have all already been stated in this topic.

What makes me rage the most is the empty promise of more content for L4D. Oooooh, we got a survival mode and one half-assed lighthouse map that was already part of another level.

Saying No to this one.

Upvote 0
Though I greatly dislike the fact they announced it so early (had they waited a year or two they could have skipped this furor entirely)

Even if they had waited for 3 years to announce, it still woudn't change that this looks like an expansion pack at best. When I look at the gameplay trailers it looks so been there and done that already, everything essential in that game is in L4D. It even looks exactly like it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Even if they had waited for 3 years to announce, it still woudn't change that this looks like an expansion pack at best. When I look at the gameplay trailers it looks so been there and done that already, everything essential in that game is in L4D. It even looks exactly like it.

Well what would you have liked to see changed? What would have made it not look like an expansion pack?

The thing about a sequel is that it's a tightrope walk. Valve can't keep too much the same because then it looks like what you've said - but they can't change too much either, because then no one will want to play it because the fans of the original liked the original for it's gameplay and if the gameplay is too changed they simply won't like it.

Upvote 0
I was somewhat disappointed at first, however... After seeing more of "The Parish" and just a little bit of "Swamp Fever" I am really hyped for this game. It looks great...

I love how each campaign has a different instrument style to the music, each one has its own "uncommon" infected... The gameplay, while basically the same... Seems, oddly different at points, such as the rolling crescendo.

While I would have wished to see a bigger jump between L4D1 and L4D2... I believe there's going to be enough to justify it in the end, especially if they go through with the interoperability idea.

Upvote 0
This is not a problem with L4D specifically. This is a problem any sequel faces. Deviate too little, people *****. Deviate too much, people *****. A sequel is always a balancing act between old and new to achieve the lowest amount of people *****ing.

I agree completely, it is a huge problem with lots of titles - but most people (myself included) expected Valve not to do this with L4D after they said that they were going to support the game with DLC for new maps, characters weapons, community tools etc etc.

Upvote 0