• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Windows KF Dedicated Server Tutorial

With the help of Mephsis, WALMART, and Syndrum, I have gotten my server up and running. I had some problems with it afterwards, but through trial and error I was able to fix everything. So now my server should be running most of the time.

EDIT: Ah, had to reinstall KF after screwing up a file. It wouldnt show me the main menu in game. I have reinstalled everything, but now my server IP changed and I can't get it working again. Going to have to waste a night fixing it.

Reinstalled KF, reinstalled the HL server thing and updated that, set up my server in KF, hit dedicated to start the server up, but it still wont show up in the internet list. All ports are open and I have my DMZ enabled so that it can get through.

REEDIT: I can get to my server by typing in the IP, then I can alt+tab to get to the console to edit it. So now my server is working.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you attempting to use your main game server as the redirect server at the same time? If so, use http://IP/foldername/ as the address and see how that fares. Compress the maps for faster downloads.

It looks like gameservers aren't offering a dedicated redirect server for users as standard and you'll have to pay extra if you want that feature.

http://forums.gameservers.com/viewtopic.php?t=35680

Upvote 0
Crashing

Crashing

Well alright, ive followed the tutorial and got the server running, though i can only get it to start on Lan, if i add the
"ucc server KF-BioticsLab.rom?game=KFmod.KFGameType?VACSecured=tr ue?MaxPlayers=6?multihome=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" the server will just start and then closes after a few seconds,.
ive opened all the ports needed and even tried this on 2 pc's with the same result.

Upvote 0
I'm actually having a problem here as well, with my server coming up as a LAN server. All the relevent ports are open, and what really stumps me here, is that for the longest time, I was running a KF server, that was dedicated, with the same settings, and it worked perfectly. I constantly had a full server.

An update came along, and now my server is a LAN server. This update was awhile ago, and I haven't tried running a dedicated server for some time now. If I run it as a listen server, people can join and play with me.
For some reason, my dedicated server is the only one that gives me problems.

Do you have any idea what the change may have been? I have updated my server files by the way, to make sure it's fully up to date.

Upvote 0
In the first update I was unable to see my dedicated servers in LAN at all but could add them to favourites via IP. A latter update allowed me to see my dedicated servers in LAN. Although I see them in LAN everyone else sees them in the server list browser which suits us all fine.

What's your server name and IP so we can at least check if it's accessible and visible to the public?

Upvote 0
The IPs MIGHT be 69.28.140.247 and 72.165.61.189. Those are what come up as the 'adding master server' dialog. Not sure if that'd be the IP of my server. The name that I have for this time, and it may stay that way would be

[ Normal ] [ Long ] Server

If I'm incorrect here, could you tell me where to look for the IP address?

Also, one thing I've always wondered, is what I should set the MaxClientRate and MaxInternetClientRate to? Shoot, what is the difference between the two?

EDIT: Hmm, I don't think either one of those IPs is my server's IP address. Where do I find this info?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The IPs MIGHT be 69.28.140.247 and 72.165.61.189. Those are what come up as the 'adding master server' dialog. Not sure if that'd be the IP of my server. The name that I have for this time, and it may stay that way would be

[ Normal ] [ Long ] Server

If I'm incorrect here, could you tell me where to look for the IP address?

Also, one thing I've always wondered, is what I should set the MaxClientRate and MaxInternetClientRate to? Shoot, what is the difference between the two?

EDIT: Hmm, I don't think either one of those IPs is my server's IP address. Where do I find this info?

Those are not your server ip's, those are the browser server's address'

The ip address your looking for is the ip of the machine your hosting the server on , it usually is something like: 192.168.?.? (mines is 192.168.0.5)

So the text to add to the commandline should be:

?multihome=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 192.168.?.?

To find this address on XP , right click on the network icon in the lower taskbar, select "status" then select "support"
your internal ip will be shown on the "support" page.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I had several problems with creating a server too, but I've made a mistake that hindered me in creating one.

The solution ist ... first take your Internet-IP and not your internal IP. I'm from germany, so I use this site for checking my IP: http://www.wieistmeineip.de/

And don't open a server via kf_server_launcher. I've tried it, but the window always closes after a few seconds.

Then I opened a server via KillingFloor (ingame) and voila ... I had a funtional KF-Server that everyone could join. But don't forget to refresh your multihome-tag in the kf_server_launcher.bat, because your Internet-IP is always changing when restarting your computer or router.

Have a lot of fun with your own servers ... any questions ... ask^^

Upvote 0