• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design KF-BellTolls

DeeZNutZ

Grizzled Veteran
May 26, 2009
Pacific Beach, CA USA
Received some very positive reactions on my candidate for the Grindhouse competition while playtesting it today.
During the open playtesting on my server today the public players found an exploit I've now fixed.
Overall the map runs well on pathing, spawn points, and performance.
It took 6 players 4 runs through before we all survived to the Patriarch wave (11).
I've attached some screen shots and a shot of the complexity in the editor.

KF-BellTollsSS1.jpg

KF-BellTollsSS2.jpg

KF-BellTollsSS3.jpg

KF-BellTollsSS4.jpg

KF-BellEditor.jpg

DeeZNutZ

this looks like the unreal tournament map (same name) is it? if not its got alot of similarity, but also if its not good work nice layout

ill have to play it to confirm my observations

Yes, the layout is based on the old UT99 map DM-ForWhomTheBellTolls which was made by Peter "Clay" Nederlof.
My friend Axeman and I received permission to remake this in UT2004 from Mr. Nederlof.

Since lifts are quirky in KF I made several significant changes to the overall map design and flow, but you can still feel some of the original map in it.

It was a real joy to watch this come to life again in the editor, and even more fun to see it work well in Killing Floor.

DeeZ

Upvote 0
well good work on remaking the map ^^ it looks good, cant wait for the dl link

ps i think the yellow light in the windows is a little too bright..dunno just an opinion

My friend Axeman and I received permission to remake this in UT2004 from Mr. Nederlof.

is there a way you can provide proof that you received permission? Im not doubting you, but other people might

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Who knew, that by making maps, people also qualify as competition judges. :p

People need to quit trying to preemptively poke holes in other's work. Let TWI figure out if a map qualifies or not. Calling people out on "OH JOO HAVE AN ILLEGALZ COPY OF KF" or "ZOMG, DID YOU GET PERMISSION FOR THAT TEXTURE" is petty to say the least.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can't speak for everyone, obviously, but I don't think the contest has a whole lot to do with that.

We as modders have NO way of protecting our work. None at all. If I release my beta in the next few days can take it, make your own topic and say it's yours. There is nothing I can do about that.
The only thing that prevents you from doing that is that you know it is wrong and that you know the community will frown upon that kind of behavior. And why do you know those two simple facts? Because they are often pointed out in forums.
We, as a community, have to uphold some sort of code of honor to ensure credit is given where credit is due.
As we want everyone to adhere to this simple code of honor (don't steal other people's work) we have to adhere to it as well. This includes not ripping content from games and using it in our maps without permission.
If someone nevertheless does it he has to be reminded that this needs to be changed before the map is released. Not only for the sake of the map in question but also so the community knows that we care!

Again, I can't speak for everyone, but when I brought up the UT2004 textures it wasn't meant as poking holes into his map. And it certainly wasn't meant to poke holes into it hoping the contest-jury is going to be swayed by my negative comments.
It was meant as a friendly reminder (not even as an accusation!) and I think and hope it came across like that.

Upvote 0
I can't speak for everyone, obviously, but I don't think the contest has a whole lot to do with that.

We as modders have NO way of protecting our work. None at all. If I release my beta in the next few days can take it, make your own topic and say it's yours. There is nothing I can do about that.
The only thing that prevents you from doing that is that you know it is wrong and that you know the community will frown upon that kind of behavior. And why do you know those two simple facts? Because they are often pointed out in forums.
We, as a community, have to uphold some sort of code of honor to ensure credit is given where credit is due.
As we want everyone to adhere to this simple code of honor (don't steal other people's work) we have to adhere to it as well. This includes not ripping content from games and using it in our maps without permission.
If someone nevertheless does it he has to be reminded that this needs to be changed before the map is released. Not only for the sake of the map in question but also so the community knows that we care!

Again, I can't speak for everyone, but when I brought up the UT2004 textures it wasn't meant as poking holes into his map. And it certainly wasn't meant to poke holes into it hoping the contest-jury is going to be swayed by my negative comments.
It was meant as a friendly reminder (not even as an accusation!) and I think and hope it came across like that.

im hoping a certain someone will read this... copying and pasting BSP from game files then putting them into KF is not cool.

Upvote 0
im hoping a certain someone will read this... copying and pasting BSP from game files then putting them into KF is not cool.

:p you still upset about me making Stack?
Show me how to copy the BSP from Goldeneye, and I'll do it cos it'd save me HOURS.
As it is I remake the Goldeneye maps from scratch, using the original level as a template. There is no way that I know of to copy/paste the level geometry from Goldeneye. Some parts I rebuild are 100% accurate. Some parts are not.

You know what the funny thing is? None of those BSP cuts give a **** who designed them, or who clicked the subtract button and if they had permission to click it. Those BSP cuts just want to serve their purpose - they want to be played; on the N64, on the PC, on whatever...

To be honest you're a complete idiot if you're still upset about...nothing...me making a map that you think is immoral.

Where do you draw the line? You ported Facility...no wait, or is it original? Well, the layout is the same, surely that's theft? Hang on, ''I remade it myself from memory - nothing is copy/pasted'' I can hear you say. Well it's got the same name Facility, and as you well know its essentially a poor man's copy of the timeless Goldeneye map (just like mine - difference is I'm willing to admit how good I am at mapping) so you might as well be honest and humble about it.

You getting your knickers in a twist about my map, although extremely funny and perplexing, is kind of starting to annoy me.

''Bad artists copy. Good artists steal.''
- Pablo Picasso

Think about that for a minute Dextronaut. And then please leave me alone. Your reason for not wanting to continue on the joint project we were going to do was because I could apparantly damage your reputation in ''the community''. Nice community you've got there. Do they all think you're great, do they?

I don't want flaming, but I'll stick up for myself if you're going to make little snide comments at every opportunity you get.
Bless.

Upvote 0