• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Platoon/Squad Leader Ideas

I hate to disagree entirely, but you're at risk of over-complicating a public game.

I see your point, my speciality role for years has been SL, but at a clan-level, adding this level of complexity assumes everyone is talking he same language, and as a European I accept the fact that this is just not going to happen.

The SL role is ideal as it is. If you use 'trillo or TS for skrims or matches you won't need or appreciate this extra rigmarole. If you're playing public, then just accept the fact that communication and co-ordination will never be fluid, but it doesn't matter, you're just playing pub, so who cares?

You add this level of complexity then what next? I've always had this crazy idea that "reinforcements" should be replaced with "resources" and different units should cost different amounts. A rifleman would only cost a few points (training + rifle + ammo = sum) whereas a tank commander (training + tank + ammo = sum) would offer a more accurate combat experience. But once again, these over-compexities would potentially have a detremental effect on the initial attraction of the game.

The language barrier is one of the reasons i thought of being able to show tactics visually on a map rather than just by voice.

I also understand that clans will already have systems in place to do this kind of thing, but wouldn't it be more convenient if it were already built into the game?

Upvote 0
your voice is free while playing while your mouse and keyboard are used for moving. Thats the reason why even in todays military people generally use voice to communicate with each other rather than drawing on pdas or chatting with a keyboard :p.

Some basic drawing on a map would be nice like Gtactics built in the game as it can help things pregame or to point out something a little clearer where voice falls short. But its one of those features while nice to have will probably not be used a lot, and i would personally rather have time being spent on fixing some things that will have a bigger effect on gameplay.

Upvote 0
I just realized the problem with voting for SL. On a typical pub match, you can't even get people to bother to vote off annoying team killers.

In order to get a working SL vote system, the vote system would have to be seriously revamped from it's current cumbersome system. I suppose setting it up like the map vote would be good, between rounds.

Upvote 0
If you're playing public, then just accept the fact that communication and co-ordination will never be fluid, but it doesn't matter, you're just playing pub, so who cares?

who cares??!?! :eek: the people who enjoy playing the game because it's not like mainstream games with little kids running around like morons. the people that plan in clans and are used to at least some organization in battles. those people, you know, like the people that keep playing the game 2 years later instead of 2 weeks.

ideally, voice communication would work. however, unless everyone can speak one language it aint gonna happen. that's why you use visuals. everybody can figure out what the arrow pointing to a certain direction or a circled objective means ;)

Upvote 0
ideally, voice communication would work. however, unless everyone can speak one language it aint gonna happen. that's why you use visuals. everybody can figure out what the arrow pointing to a certain direction or a circled objective means ;)

Oh yes BSwearer, I agree about that part, voice command and VoiP in-game isn't ideal as there are many languages out there.

I dunno, maybe make the map the most important part of the SL's role. He sits at the back, with his binoculars marking enemy AT guns and Tanks. Possibly include a better Rally-point system. Instead of just having 1 flag, you can drop shapes onto the map.

We could do with an "A" "B" "C" system, to trace out attack routes etc..

OOOh i'm just getting exxited about RO2, god I want into the beta-testing so bad, i'm really up for some testing and spending hours and hours trying to offer my experience. Tripwire games have been all I've really played for over 5 years now, except for Dynasty Warriors 6: Empires on the PS3, but that's my mindless hack and slash game :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd really rather not leave public servers out to rot. Obviously, clans will have their own systems in place, but the rest of the world needs a teamwork-based game in which they don't have to join a clan.

Of course there will be those who choose to not participate. That's why I've said there should be 'teamwork' servers and 'points' servers. On teamwork servers, players cooperate with eachother for the single goal of achieving victory for their team (no points are awarded for anything). On points servers, players play for themselves to gain points, and whether the team wins or not is a lesser goal.

You CAN have it both ways. And on the SL/PL voting thing...yes some players will not vote, but if they don't vote, they clearly do not care...so their opinion shouldn't be counted anyway.

Also, in teamwork servers, four votes should be able to remove someone. Before that, though, four votes should send out a warning to the player in question: a large window reading "YOU ARE ABOUT TO BE REMOVED FROM THE TEAM. YOU HAVE THREE MINUTES TO DO WHATEVER IT IS THAT THE TEAM NEEDS FOR YOU TO DO.". Three minutes later, they can kick him (but don't need to if he makes up for it). I'm not exactly sure of what the current kick voting system is, but a vote is rarely passed when it should, so it needs to be revamped.

Upvote 0
server admins can set the voting % needed to kick a player to whatever they feel is fair. problem is that most all servers set it extremely high considering on a 50player server there is no way that even 50% of players will vote. if you move the % down too far though, you allow servers to be taken advantage of by people who just want to kick people for no reason.

take KF for example, at 50% of a 6 player server, admins have complained that they got kicked from their own server because 3 people came in and voted him out.....funny story, i actually had that happen to me once. as i was playing on some pub server we got to the final wave and three guys all of a sudden just voted me out for no reason except to keep me from getting the acheivement for winning the map!

perhaps kick voting could be setup that once a player receives ex. amount of kick votes, like 4 or 5 they recieve a warning. if they continue doing something, all it would take is half the initial votes to remove the player instead of having half the server put in a vote. don't know how voting for SL/other roles would work though.....just doesnt seem possible to solve.

Upvote 0
but the basis of my idea is to have the points servers attract all those types of people, while the teamwork servers are there for the more thoughtful types

But of course then most public gamers are going to flock to the points servers, and those who actually want to play on the teamwork servers are going to find them sparsely populated, and will often have to settle for a points server.

Upvote 0