• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design DXT crash?

Murphy

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
liandri.darkbb.com
Hi,
so far I've been working with RGBA8 textures. I just imported my stuff (tga with alpha and 24bit bmps) and went with it. Now I felt like compressing everything to DXT3 but UnrealEd is really crash-happy with that for some reason!

I was able to compress about three textures at a time before it crashed when compressing the forth one. So I saved after ever texture. Inconvenient but it worked, sort of. Now I can't load the last save anymore. When I attempt to load it UnrealEd crashes with this messages:
Assertion failed: SourceFormat == DestFormat [File:.\UnTex.cpp] [Line: 2113]

History: FStaticTexture::GetTextureData <- myLevel.MurphSky.WestSmall <- FD3DTexture::Cache <- FD3DRenderInterface::CacheTexture <- FD3DRenderInterface::SetShaderMaterial <- FD3DRenderInterface::SetMaterial <- DrawTextureBrowser <- REN_TexBrowser <- UUnrealEdEngine::Draw <- (Cam=TextureBrowserUsed,Flags=1073742464 <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- WPageUsed::RefreshViewport <- WBrowserTexture::RefreshTextureList <- WBrowserTexture::RefreshAll <- WBrowserMaster::RefreshBrowser <- WBrowserMaster::RefreshAll <- WEditorFrame::OnCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- UEditorEngine::Exec_Map <- UEditorEngine::Exec <- (MAP LOAD FILE="E:\Spiele\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor\Maps\oil8.rom").. <- UUnrealEdEngine::Exec <- FileOpen <- WEditorFrame::OnCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- MessagePump <- MainLoop

(nothing important is lost. I have a seperate save from right before I started compressing. I just want to compress my textures and not have Unrealed crash.:))

Code:
Assertion failed: SourceFormat == DestFormat [File:.\UnTex.cpp] [Line: 2113]

History: FStaticTexture::GetTextureData <- myLevel.MurphSky.DownSmall <- FD3DTexture::Cache <- FD3DRenderInterface::CacheTexture <- FD3DRenderInterface::SetShaderMaterial <- FD3DRenderInterface::SetMaterial <- DrawTextureBrowser <- REN_TexBrowser <- UUnrealEdEngine::Draw <- (Cam=TextureBrowser,Flags=1073742464 <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- UEditorEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop
This error only occurs with (a) specific texture(s) and it's not the one in the error but myLevel.MurphSky.EastSmall that causes the crash when I try to compress it to DXT1.

What could this be?

something else: EastSmall, DownSmall, WestSmall, UpSmall, etc. are part of a cubemap. Now that all the other ones are compressed to DXT1 only EastSmall and DownSmall (the ones I couldn't compress because of the crash) show up in the TexEnvMap and the other textures are there in its properties and they look fine in the texture browser on their own but they are black in the actual TexEnvMap.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You mean my hardware? Not much.:eek: 128MB VRam and 1024 MB Ram. Aperturesize set to 64 (? not sure, atm).

It was just those specific textures though! They were regular 128*128 24-bit bitmaps imported into UnrealEd. Other textures (including ones that were 1024*1024) worked fine.

I replaced them with palletized 8-bit bitmaps now that I didn't compress. Should be good enough and it's only those six textures for the cubemap.

Upvote 0
Well if the problem only comes from these 6 textures, I suggest you compress them with Photoshop and the Nvidia tool, then import them into the editor and replace your old ones. If you had the whole level to retexture it'd be a pain, but for such a small amount it should be easy enough.

Upvote 0