• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gaming mouse?

Fedorov

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2005
my current mouse is failing, and I would like to see some recomendation for a good gaming mouse, my main requirements are:

-I dont want to need to install software in my computer to fully enjoy it

-confort and precision

-long battery life (if wireless)

-extra buttons that can be mapped for games

-not too expesive

thx

Last edited:
I have a razer diamondback and I like it. It should be pretty cheap nowadays. It comes with a software that you need if you want to change the sensitivity on-the-fly (you hold a mouse button down and then scroll the wheel to increase/decrease it with a little on-screen display showing the current speed), set up macros or map special buttons to your mouse buttons and I think you also need the software to switch from lefthanded to righthanded. If you just plug it in without the software it works like a normal mouse. Ie, button 4 and 5 are the typical windows mouse buttons 4 and 5 so you can go back and forth with them in the explorer.

I used the on-the-fly sensivity for a week or so because it was a novelty but then I stopped bothering. Never used the macro function. I wouldn't know what to use it for. At the moment I am running the mouse with the default drivers that are automatically installed when you plug it in and it works like a charm.

It has 1600dpi which is more than enough and it's comfortable and very light (matter of taste. I like it).

If I were you I would go into a real store so you can try the mouse in action. And not just by laying your hand over the plastic cover either! Ask for an unpacked mouse and push it around for a while. Keep in mind though that you are used to your current mouse but that doesn't mean mouses that feel different are uncomfortable. So keep an open mind.
Gaming mouse or not, what really counts is if it is comfortable for you! Technical specs are only important if they are either extremely low so your efficiency would suffer or if they are extremely high so you have to pay for more than you'll ever be able to use.

As far as being comfortable goes, you should make sure it's easy to lift the mouse even with sweaty hands! If that isn't possible, gaming (where you might have to shuffle from time to time) is a nightmare. The razer diamondback is very good in that respect.

EDIT: Forgot to add: It has a wire.

Upvote 0
Using a cheapo A4 gaming mouse(X-750F, first model) and I've been happy since(3 years). You may want to check them out before spending a benjamin on a overpriced mouse. I've never justified buying a "pro" device, and I've never felt I'm at disadvantage :)

This one seems to be their newest: http://www.amazon.co.uk/A4-X-748K-Gaming-mouse-3200/dp/B001B2RTBY

Last edited:
Upvote 0
thanks, I'm gonna take those into consideration

till now I'm using a cheap Microsoft one (dont know the model) is not very fancy, but one thing I love about it is that it has survived a lot of punishment, can't count how many times this thing had hit the floor (probably the reason its failing now =P) I hope whatever I buy is equally (or more =P) solid than this one

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I indulged myself in a g9 quite a while ago now, and while it was expensive at the time, it might not be so bad now. And it has been a superb mouse, extremly comfortable and requires no software to use all its function including on the fly sensitivity and 2 thumb buttons. Not that I ever really use th sensitiivty tbh.

Hmm just checked amazon and they're still 50 quid acctualy, so maybe you won't be interested...

Still if you do decide to spend that kind of money I'm sure you wouldn't regret a g9.

Upvote 0
Still if you do decide to spend that kind of money I'm sure you wouldn't regret a g9.

That certainly depends whether you are a wrist or finger player.
Logitech mice always made me feel close to arthritis.
If you want to put your palm on the mouse, logitechs are ok, if you just want to steer the mouse with your fingers the Razers are quite a decent choice imo.

Upvote 0
I've been using a Logitech MX500 since the day I bought my computer after subscript service. That was 2003 and now it and the keyboard are the only components that have not been replaced ever since. It even survived various coffee attacks. People are overemphasizing the game mouse thing. I played with a razor and I didn't feel it was that more precise. If you want a decent mouse and are comfortable with the ergonomics, buy a logitech.

Oh and I would buy one with cable. Sooner or later that battery is going to let you down.

Upvote 0
Said it before, will say it again, Logitech.

Still using my G5 cabled,(after nearly 3 years of intensive use) with the set point program that came with it.
This enables me to lean left, lean right, toggle crouch/stand/prone, reload, next weapon/previous weapon, iron sights, fire/alt fire, all with my left hand, ok, it takes a little endurance to manipulate and feel at ease with but once you have mastered the beast, game over "anybody want to dolphin dive with me" :D...
That concerns RO.

Unfortunately the G7 is a little more complicated to set up all of the (9) buttons for individual games.

If we look at ARMA, which allows double strikes(or so I have been informed triple strikes), for example I use the - button for crouch and 2x - button to go prone, then once again - to return to crouch, game over...
The program uses a steady 12.000 ko to run in the background, which is absolutely nothing in this day and age.

I am not sure about the G9, is that wireless only ?

Please do not ignore the software/driver; it is essential if you want to profit from the possibility's of such a tool.

On a side note I use PS all day, every day at work and the abillty to change dpi speeds is a godsend when cropping/manipulating layers and the fine points but I guess any old souris is good for that.

Logitech Fan-boy 51...

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I've used the MX500 line as well (using a 518 right now). Well built, comfortable if you have large hands, although you do need software to bind the extra buttons to something other than their default functions. 8 buttons :)

Using the MX518 too, for a few years now. Logitech makes quality mouses. 40 you won't regret spending.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I ended up with a Razer Diamondback 3G

Im very happy with its precision, the speed and the anti grip, (I'm playing with the bolt action and my performance in RO is better than ever =))

now for the downsides, the wheel light is too bright and distracting, and the buttons on the side are hard to reach (or even to find)

another downside is that there are not many good stores here and probably charge much more than the real price (that would have happened with any mouse anyway) but ordering it online for me is a big no no, cause it seems that where I live any package larger than a book tends to misteriously disappear before reaching its destiny (and secure mail is even worse) soo, I guess it sucks to live here =(

anyway, thank you all for your help

Upvote 0
I ended up with a Razer Diamondback 3G

Im very happy with its precision, the speed and the anti grip, (I'm playing with the bolt action and my performance in RO is better than ever =))

now for the downsides, the wheel light is too bright and distracting, and the buttons on the side are hard to reach (or even to find)

another downside is that there are not many good stores here and probably charge much more than the real price (that would have happened with any mouse anyway) but ordering it online for me is a big no no, cause it seems that where I live any package larger than a book tends to misteriously disappear before reaching its destiny (and secure mail is even worse) soo, I guess it sucks to live here =(

anyway, thank you all for your help

Just be extra careful with the cord near the mouse, i have a razer pro|click (which is the same as a diamondback) and i had to cut the cord and fix it because the wires inside snapped, a mouse bungee would be nice to have. Dunno if they fixed it in the 3G model.

Upvote 0
-I dont want to need to install software in my computer to fully enjoy it

-extra buttons that can be mapped for games

These two conditions are mutually exclusive. If you've got extra buttons, you're going to need software to program them.

Jamer said:
now I'm using a mx revolution. It's not really a gaming mouse but I like no cord. It's not like batteries were just invented, and I like that you can assign 13 functions to it however, no dpi on the fly and pricey I guess.

That's what I've got, too. I've never felt that I was outclassed when gaming with it. Batteries are great on it, and they're rechargeable anyway, so who cares? When the mouse thinks the batteries are critical, there's still plenty of life left to them to finish your gaming session. I've had my battery indicator red for 7 or 8 hours worth of constant use. (Never did die on me - I just put it back on the charger when I was done.)

Price isn't too bad anymore, either, especially if you don't mind refurbished. I bought mine refurbished, and 3 years later I still haven't had a single problem with it.

In fact, you can get it for $29.99, if you order before 0700 PDT, 12 July 2009 from this store.

More prices here

I love it. If this one dies anytime soon I'll buy another one.

Upvote 0
A good choice would be the microsoft habu (has razer internals). It has an internal memory so once configured (5 profiles avail) you no longer need the software. Infact I dont think ive installed the software since my last reinstall.

The dpi is also adjustable via two buttons and doesnt rely on the software.

That being said the software does allow you to have different sensitivties in windows to that of games which i find good. I prefer a high sensitivty in desktop to increase productivity (lol!) but games i prefer it a smidge slower for better precision.

Upvote 0
NE1 aware of a problem where your mouse intermittantly disconnects for a few secs + reconnects (usually wth windows usb tones)?
Sometimes the fire button stops working - usually the whole mouse, you often have to reconnected the usb to fix.

Anyway, point is i smashed up my mx500 after this happened a few times - only to find that its probably windows or even a usb hardware fault (although it happens when mouse connected to MoBo, usb card or keyboard hub)

If/when i get this problem sorted i want to get a new mouse - I was thinking a modest mx518.
Is the g5 that much better? are wireless 100% reliable nowadays?
I play quite low sensitivity if that affects the choice

Upvote 0
That's what I've got, too. I've never felt that I was outclassed when gaming with it. Batteries are great on it, and they're rechargeable anyway, so who cares? When the mouse thinks the batteries are critical, there's still plenty of life left to them to finish your gaming session. I've had my battery indicator red for 7 or 8 hours worth of constant use. (Never did die on me - I just put it back on the charger when I was done.)

Price isn't too bad anymore, either, especially if you don't mind refurbished. I bought mine refurbished, and 3 years later I still haven't had a single problem with it.

In fact, you can get it for $29.99, if you order before 0700 PDT, 12 July 2009 from this store.

More prices here

I love it. If this one dies anytime soon I'll buy another one.[/QUOTE]

WOW, have they ever come down, I paid $99.99 in Canada.
I agree with all you've said, as well, I've never had a problem with it. Also, if you have big mits it fits in your hand nicely. Will probably buy another one.

Upvote 0