• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Realistic Weapon Switching

Rak

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2005
D
I did this suggestion back in 2006 for Ostfront, but I'm gonna go for it again. Maybe this time I can ring some more bells :)

What I'm suggesting is, we need a weapon switching better than just pressing numbers and instantly spwning weapons in your hands. There should be animations in-between.

Let's say you have a K98 in your hands now, but you want to throw a grenade. You switch to grenade, and instead of instantly spawning a grenade on your hands; your character hangs your K98 by it's sling on your back, then takes a grenade from your pockets.

What if you're on a hurry and don't wait to wait for the animation? During the animation you double(or triple click) and interrupt the "rifle shouldering" animation and you DROP the rifle on the ground. Shouldering animation stops immidiately and "taking a grenade from your belt pocket" animation starts. You gained time, but you have to pick up your weapon again.

So how will this affect the gameplay?

• Much more immersive experience: Seeing your character doing things just like in RL will improve immersiveness. Also, this has never been done before. OFP, ArmA, ArmA 2 has tried but they only have mostly place holder animations in doing so, and they're pretty clunky.
  • Stop nade spam: No more running around with magical replenishing nades in your hand and doing olympic throws. Switching to nades takes time now. Even if you do so, knowing that you can't pull your weapon immidiately after throwing a nade forces you to be more tactical.
  • In a side note, clas main weapons will be encouraged this way. Because switching means losing some precous time during combat.

On the other side, this may mean Tripwire will have to do one more animation for every weapon(one, because you can play them backwards without a problem).

Last edited:
well this would only work if the weapon pickup system would be significantly improved

can you imagine to have to pick up your weapon again after each emergency switch with the current system? :eek:

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

@Rak: I've been thinking of these improvements also, but I simply didn't provide them here on the forums. Glad mate you did it :)

Upvote 0
Totally agreed. Brothers in Arms did it pretty well. But if you have the June issue of the PC Gamer magazine, there's a screenshot in a tunnel (with the first person MG34) and you can see a German soldier throwing a grenade while holding his rifle in his left hand, sort of by the end of the frontgrip. Looks pretty convicing to me, so I wouldn't be suprised if they already implemented a sort of smooth transition between weapons.

Upvote 0
Totally agreed. Brothers in Arms did it pretty well. But if you have the June issue of the PC Gamer magazine, there's a screenshot in a tunnel (with the first person MG34) and you can see a German soldier throwing a grenade while holding his rifle in his left hand, sort of by the end of the frontgrip. Looks pretty convicing to me, so I wouldn't be suprised if they already implemented a sort of smooth transition between weapons.

I agree, everytime you switch to a different weapon in BIA you would physically sling the weapon around your shoulder which was a nice feature but sadly Hell's Highway did not include it.

Upvote 0
i really like this idea its pretty good. MAYBE not dropping ur k98 but if ur prone then resting it on the ground fetchnig the nade toss it and ick ur k98 up again because when germans were prone they didnt shoudler their gu nthey just put it down for a second. i also like the "panic" controls. i never thought of that and apparently neither has any other game corporations (but we cant know that for sure).

Upvote 0