• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Iron Europe: 1914-1916

CrazyThumbs

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2006
Hello and welcome to Iron Europe's first media release! I know that we've been working in the background for quite some time, and I'd like to take this time and thank all of you who've been following us along for so long. Without further ado, let's get started.

First a little something about Iron Europe for those who don't know about us.

Iron Europe (IE for short) is a modification for Tripwire's next project, Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad. IE will focus on the Great War between the years 1914-1916, starting with the 1st Ypres and ending with the infamous battles of the Somme. IE will stay true to Red Orchestra's roots and provide realistic gameplay and features, between the opposing British and German forces.

Now for eye candy, we'll start off small with some grenades.
First up, the iconic German Steihlhandgranate 1915
stielhandgranate1915.jpg

And here is the British mainstay, the Mills Bomb. As it was introduced in 1916 it shows up just in time for our Somme maps
millsbomb.jpg

Now for some oddities.
Here we have the British 'Jam Tin'. Due to lack of British grenades in the early war, the soldiers were left to their own devices and created the Jam tin. Masses produced behind the lines by engineering units, they were made from discarded food tins, stuffed with some gun cotton, and filled with whatever metal scrap that could be found on hand, they provided a simple and somewhat effective solution to the grenade problem.
jamtin.jpg

This interesting looking thing would be the No.1 Mark I grenade. Available to troops at the start of the war, this percussion grenade had a long handle and streamer to ensure it landed nose down. Fairly uncommon, don't expect to see too many of these in the early war maps.
no1mark1.jpg

For rifles we have the Gewehr 98 to show to you today, the main German rifle for the duration of the war.
gewehr1.jpg

Now some of the more infamous weapons of the Great War, machine guns.
The Vickers.
vickers.jpg

And of course, the MG 08
mg08.jpg

That's all the renders that we have for today, but stay tuned as we plan to have updates regularly.

You can find us over at www.ironeuropegame.com, so drop by the forums if you want.
Also remember that positions are still open. We're mainly looking for 3d/2d artists, so feel free to apply.

Last thing, we have an interview over at RO Ladder, so take a look at that if you want to know why we chose to mod for HoS, or if you want to find out more gameplay information. You can find it here, http://www.roladder.net/

Last edited:
so what are you actually doing currently designing wise?

Just making models and general gameplay ideas?

According to the interview you dont have coders and such but i guess since it will use UE3.0 you can already fiddle around with the ut3 map editor to get ideas right?
A couple members have UE3.0 and can play around with it. Our maps are all planned out, while our mappers watch tutorials and practice with UE3.0 a bit.
We had a coder for a little while, but we had nothing for him to do. There's nothing to code into a game that's not out yet.

We have some gameplay ideas, but nothing so radically different that it would be a problem depending on what Tripwire does.

Upvote 0
to what exactly?

It has been awhile, but there are programs that you can use to calibrate your monitor. If you have Photoshop, there used to be a program called Adobe Gamma, I think, that you can use (I used to be in the newspaper/photo editing business). I also know that NVIDIA has one with their drivers as well.

But some simple steps, set your monitors color temperature to something not so bright. I use 6500K myself, but you could go a little brighter. Just stay away from the higher 9300K. The other thing is, try not to go to extremes with your brightness/contrast settings. My guess is that your monitor is set brighter than the average/default for most other people and when you work, your textures will look just right to you, but darker to most other people. This is just an educated guess of course, and anyone else please correct me if I am wrong.

But as has been stated before, except for being too dark, the models look fantastic with the detail you've used.

Last edited:
Upvote 0