• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

My game crashes all the time.

C-zom

May 22, 2009
Whenever I try to play Killing Floor, on any settings and on any map, it crashes after not even 20 seconds in game.

It crashes to desktop with no error. It says "My display drivers have stopped responding." I'm not a newbie to tech, at all. I built this computer. I tried default clock speeds, rolling back to the 170 drivers. I'm currently using 185.85 drivers.

But whenever I play it crashes to desktop because of my GPU or something. Sometimes, there will be a DirectX looking error report but its always different.

My specs:

Vista SP2
Intel e2180 @ 3.2GHz
4GB 1066MHz G.Skill RAM
Geforce 8800GT 512MB 700/1850/1003

Things I've tried:

Turning off Mouse Smoothing or whatever
Vsync and Triple Buff on
Turning off AA
Putting it on a 4:10 resolution
Turning my overclock to defaults, on both CPU and GPU
Turning Audio to low quality

It. Always. Crashes.

Build KillingFloor_Build_[2009-02-09_10.82]

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 3902 MHz with 2047MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (8585)

IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::Lock failed(88760870).

History: FD3D9VertexStream::Cache <- FD3D9RenderInterface::SetVertexStreams <- USkeletalMeshInstance::Render <- FDynamicActor::Render <- FActorSceneNode::Render <- UShadowBitmapMaterial::Get <- FD3D9RenderInterface::SetProjectorMaterial <- FD3D9RenderInterface::SetMaterial <- RenderStaticMesh <- FDynamicActor::Render <- RenderLevel <- KF-Offices.myLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level KF-Offices <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 4C576C61 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

Here's the error code I'm getting. Please help me! I wanna play this game. <_<

Upvote 0
A third patch is coming soon, but I'm not sure that it will fix your particular issue. It looks as though your video card is somehow failing. I have not seen anyone else report this particular issue, which makes me think it's something in hardware/configuration or that your Killing Floor files are corrupted somehow. The fact that you've gotten an error saying your video card drivers are failing, makes me think you're getting the same issues as some of the other guys, but their video card stops feeding a signal to their monitor altogether, which is apparently a Vista driver issue.

Upvote 0
@Tripwire guy, thanks for the response man. But my video card is pretty much fine. Optimal temperatures, the overclock is stable, and literally no other game I play--but KF--gives me this fatal crash.

And at the other guy, Red Orchestra isn't the game in question here. :/ Sweet game though.

Upvote 0
i know it aint red orchestra doesnt mean that red orchestra threads dont work for kf ;)

here i edited the text for killingfloor:

1) Find your killingfloor.ini file located in the steam/steamapps/common/killingfloor/system folder (hint it looks like a notpad icon with a cog)
2) Change the cache size to better match your ram size
Listed under [Engine.GameEngine].

256 Megabytes of RAM or less
CacheSizeMegs=32

512 Megabytes of RAM
CacheSizeMegs=64

768 Megabytes of RAM
CacheSizeMegs=128

1 Gigabyte of RAM or more
CacheSizeMegs=256

EDIT BY Zetsumei: NEVER make CacheSizeMegs bigger than 256mb unless you like crashes!

Fix2: Turn of PreCaching
Also in your redorchestra.ini under [ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem]
Change UsePrecache=True to UsePrecache=False
and under [Engine.LevelInfo]
Change bNeverPrecache=false to bNeverPrecache=true
and under [Engine.NullRenderDevice]
Change UsePrecaching=True to UsePrecaching=False
and under [D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
and under [D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice]
and under [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
and under [PixoDrv.PixoRenderDevice]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The RAM trick made my gameplay a lot smoother, I even did it for RO and my FPS increased. It made Killing Floor a lot smoother too but it still crashes.

Turning off precache seeemd to have made it worse. It crashes at menu now so I reversed it.

Third patch released today didn't help.

Oh well, seems like thats that for me.

Upvote 0