• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

when players will stop being lazy asses?

RoBoT

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Syria
seriously I joined in random server with new map called "KF-Das" I was like never heard of it then once I joined I see this :/
Shot00882.jpg

yes another map to lvl up the perks

So? Someone took the time to make a map that helps them level. Maybe they don't have time to play 24hours a day so they can level a perk enough to have a chance on higher difficulties. Besides, it had to take at least a bit of effort to make the map, and even on the map, they still have to 'grind' to actually level the perk! Making a map to level perks doesn't make you someone lazy, it makes someone smart...Fight smarter, not harder...

Upvote 0
but i doubt i can stand myself doing nothing besdies holding onto the left mouse button at one location and stand there for hours....
On the contrary you don't have to, as I believe you can set a door to require more weld points than usual (or maybe give it more than usual so you can unweld constantly for a long time?) which means that you don't need to be at the computer. Unless of course that's what you were getting at. :D

Upvote 0
So? Someone took the time to make a map that helps them level. Maybe they don't have time to play 24hours a day so they can level a perk enough to have a chance on higher difficulties. Besides, it had to take at least a bit of effort to make the map, and even on the map, they still have to 'grind' to actually level the perk! Making a map to level perks doesn't make you someone lazy, it makes someone smart...Fight smarter, not harder...

Presumbly you are also pro exploiters of glitchers since the end result is the same. I.e. easy kill scores whilst its hard if not impossible to be killed yourself.

Upvote 0
So? Then they should be laughed and riddiculed when they fail in-game. I've also seen a ton of absolutely amazing Commandos who are stuck at level 1 or 2 because they can't kill a thousand stalkers. Or an amazing Berserker who hasn't done 5 million damage, so he's stuck at level 3 or so. Or a Sharpshooter who's had more than enough 'headshots', but half of 'em aren't counted, so he's still low-level. If they'd fix the leveling system, or at least spice it up, people wouldn't need leveling servers.

Personally, I get a lot more game-ruination from people letting the team die while trying to level their perks instead of actually playing, like moron Supports welding every door in sight, Sharpshooters focusing on Clots for headshots over everything else, or Firebugs lighting Fleshpounds on fire just "For the damage". At least them having a place to go and do dedicated leveling gets 'em out of everyone's hair.

And no, it's different than glitches/exploits. Leveling themselves up in a map they made doesn't hurt anyone any more than if they'd played a million hours in Single-Player to level up, while Glitches and Exploits affect everyone in every game they're used in, often not helping level up at all. There is so much elitism in the community about things like this that it's ridiculous. Not everyone has days upon days to waste on 'leveling' and want to just play the game with the same abilities as people who do.
Do you really think that someone who stands by the boathouse on Manor farming Stalkers and doing nothing else all day to become a Level 3 Commando is really a better player than someone who levels to 3 on a custom map in an hour, then actually plays the game normally all day instead of farming?

Upvote 0
Well, personally I would prefer if players weren't trying to do all the quick leveling gimmicks, but people have to play as they want to. So, while perks are a part of the game, I also think it is more of a team effort overall. Let them do what they want, but hopefully they are supporting their team as well.

I don't get to play as often as I would like and my perk levels show it, but I have had some good games with players working together, and really trying.

Upvote 0
this map doesn't give players skills at all and they will never learn, imagin someone have commando lvl 5 and he get owned by crawler

So? I could see this coming from the moment i noticed 'levels' on Perks. The moment the idiotic decision was made to add in grind in the form of Perk levels, a map was going to be made that allowed people to do it easily. It can't be long till there are maps with thousands upon thousands of Stalkers and tons of Bullpup ammo.

Do i really need to point you in the direction of Team Fortress 2 and achievement based weapons? Achievement servers anyone?

Plenty of time to learn how to play the class better when your lvl5 and at full strength, not grinding towards it. Its not as if you MUST go on Suicidal and ruin everyones fun the instant you hit lvl5.

Tbh i think the perk grind has detered alot of people from playing and/or buying the game. Why was it necessary?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tbh i think the perk grind has detered alot of people from playing and/or buying the game. Why was it necessary?

I don't see how. It rewards you for spending time playing the game, and it's not like you have to have level 5 of any class to play. Players LIKE having something persistent that carries over from game to game.

I think calling it cheating is a pretty poor approach. You give players a grind, they are going to find ways to make it easier or shorter. Whether it's powerlevelling, or achievement servers, or perk grinding maps, or whatever name it goes under on any game, players are always going to try and maximize their gain across the least amount of time possible.

Really, it's no different than loading up Biotics on beginner and running around welding all the doors to level your support, or playing farm on beginner to score easy headshots for sharpshooter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
offtop
and it's not like you have to have level 5 of any class to play.
not on normal, sure, but as soon as i see a <lvl4 player join my hard server im always tempted to swing the banhammer, 95% its the lowlevel scum that dies from wave 2 onwards, shoots fps with a pistol, blocks your shotgun shots or you, begs for money each wave and welds the good players out.

i really wish there was an autokick mutator cheking all perk levels.

Upvote 0
I don't see how. It rewards you for spending time playing the game, and it's not like you have to have level 5 of any class to play. Players LIKE having something persistent that carries over from game to game.

I think calling it cheating is a pretty poor approach. You give players a grind, they are going to find ways to make it easier or shorter. Whether it's powerlevelling, or achievement servers, or perk grinding maps, or whatever name it goes under on any game, players are always going to try and maximize their gain across the least amount of time possible.

Really, it's no different than loading up Biotics on beginner and running around welding all the doors to level your support, or playing farm on beginner to score easy headshots for sharpshooter.

Reward you? Is that honestly how you see it?

A reward is something like an achievement. Congratulations, you've killed your 10,000th Specimen! Here have a sticker.

You have to have level 5 in something to play Suicidal... ok not *have*, but starting with a weapon is a HUGE benefit over starting with your 9mm pistol and gaining sod all cash from the first wave. The difference between lvl4 and lvl5 Firebug is 10% damage, 50% range, 10% resistance and starting with a Flamethrower. Starting with that flamethrower makes all the difference early on.

There were some stupid decisions made regarding perks imo. The first was making you level them, the second was giving you a weapon to start with only when you max it.

Sorry to go on about it but there was absolutely no reason to make you level them to gain more abilities. MMORPGs do it to keep people playing, we've already paid, why was it necessary to make us level up perks? Its unnecessary grind and it puts people off.

Upvote 0
Complaining that people aren't playing the game "the way it was meant to be played" is asinine. What you should be saying is that people aren't playing the game the way YOU think it's meant to be played.

Evilsod, I love how you insist that it's not a reward, but then go on to say that if you work your way to level 5, you are granted abilities that give you an advantage in the game. I don't know about you, but where I come from, that's called a reward.

The idea of keeping people playing the game is hardly exclusive to MMORPGs. In a multiplayer game, if you don't find a way to keep your userbase interested in the game, they will move on to the next best thing. Whether you accomplish that through new content additions, or allowing users to create their own content, or, god forbid, a persistent levelling system that rewards grinding, the overall goal is to maintain and expand your userbase.

I don't think you can look at the success of the Battlefield series, or CoD4, or even Diablo 2, all of which feature similar systems, and tell me that it deters people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hahaha, they started coming out last week when someone decided to post their melee leveling map that simple contained chainsaws and the same sort of setup.

Heck, did you see the fixed LAW mutator? Thankfully that won't get whitelisted.

I'd prefer not to play with perk farmers myself, and if anyone sets up a honeypot server or has a list of player id's, make it public.

I'm sure there's a few people who will enjoy de-listing these players from their server. It happened with TF2, I don't see why it shouldn't and can't happen for KF.

Oh, apart from the obvious flaming and crying that usually proceedes any kind of mention of a honeypot server.

Upvote 0
I really don't care. If they want to level up, then they do.

I just don't realize why don't people hack their skills on level 5? I am sure there are trainers out there already.

You know... I really liked the KF 2.5 where you did not have to use the same gun all the time because of some stupid perks. In the mod, you selected some perk and used whatever weapon you got in your hands.

Upvote 0
Complaining that people aren't playing the game "the way it was meant to be played" is asinine.

Really? How about playing the game 'the way it was developed to be played' or the way it was 'designed to be played'. After all, you do know the basics of a design process and that it usually includes some actual vision of how the game is to be played don't you?

Feel free to call it his view, but I'm sure he wasn't tasked with that job in the creative process, he merely borrowed from it.

I still find it hilarous that people feel the need to grind their perks up this way. Go the e-peen.

Can we start a serverlist of servers that run these crap maps somewhere? I do remeber seeing TWI or a Mod reject a thread due to it being built in this way.

Upvote 0