• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics [Don't Try This] The Ultimate Guide To Winning

Benjamin

Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2009
France
The Ultimate Guide To Winning

Greetings fellow players, I am posting this thread in response to the many questions I get about how I win so many games, as well as proving to those jealous of my kill count that I do have good tactics. Feel free to sticky this for others to learn from this thread.

General tips

1. It's usually not worth bothering attacking the stronger enemies (unless they are the only ones around and they are already being distracted by other players), as your kill count is more important than the money that you earn. If a Scrake has been stunned by someone and they are trying to kill it, repeatedly use your Chainsaw's alt-fire attack. Due to the high damage that this does, it is more likely that you will finish them off than with using a weaker weapon.

2. And thus you will also not want to bother buying powerful weapons, just ones that you consider powerful enough to kill in 1 or 2 hits while reloading fast enough. You don't need to worry too much about defensive weapons as you should should rely on other players to take the damage, while running away if they are in trouble. However, you should pick a good secondary weapon for when you run out of ammunition with your primary.

3. If you are using a ranged weapon, always let other players run into danger, and concentrate on the less dangerous enemies that are attacking them. If there are many crawlers while there are other enemies around, ignore them. If they become overwelmed and die you should then take out the crawlers and pick up the weapon if you need it.

4. Resources: If you see ammunition, take it. If you have full ammunition, fire a shot to make room. You should also always pick up body armour when you see it, even when it has only received a single point of damage. Always ask for money, never give it. You should even ask for money when you have enough, as the aim is to deprive them of any possibly advantage they could have over you. If they give you all their spare cash, when they die they'll spawn again with only the minimum amount. If they ask for some cash, claim that you used it to bait noobs into running into a dangerous area, such as into the path of an angry Flesh Pound.

5. Keep a close eye on the Bug Reports board for new bugs to take advantage of!

Initial wave

Try to stay around other players depending on how close they are to each other, and use your knife to move around faster than them (if you have a high level medic, use it). On this wave it's usually very easy to simply decapitate clots, so use this to your advantage as you'll be wanting to save ammo (and thus cash) in order to get better weapons earlier on. Follow the better players around and watch their strategy, while trying to imitate it to get their kills.

When others are trying to knife clots, one strategy is to try to use your 9mm to headshot any clots they are running towards, depriving them of their kill and giving you it. A strategy for the reverse situation is attempt to get in front of the person shooting at the clots, so they can't hit them (also, if team damage is on there's a chance you might be able to get them kicked from the game).

One important thing to note about headshotting specimens is that you can steal the kill if you attack them before they die. Another thing to remember for later is that it's a good idea to follow around firebugs, as the Flamethrower will weaken the enemies while you can finish them off. This doesn't apply to those that set themselves on fire every time they use it, or generally have a bad (lower than 200) score.

Following waves

As soon as possible you should either get the Chainsaw or a Lever Action Rifle. With the former you must simply run up to groups of enemies with your knife out, switch to the Chainsaw and massacre them before anyone else has a chance to do so. Even while someone is attempting to knife an enemy, you can easily steal their kill with the chainsaw. Remember to switch back to your knife instantly to run up to the next enemies. The LAR is useful because a) it's cheap and thus easy to get early on, and b) you can steal kills from a distance, just remember to only ever attack the enemies that are closest to other players.

If another player is using similar tactics, wait until you see them run over to a group of enemies and toss a couple of grenades their way. If sufficient damage is done you can get many kills while wasting their time, enabling you to get to another group of enemies quicker than them.

Dealing with the competition

You should keep a careful eye on the better players, and concentrate on stealing their kills more than the weaker players that take 5 minutes to kill a clot with the Flamethrower before killing themselves from fire damage. If you have a friend playing with you, try to get them to bunnyhop in front of players using guns so that they can't hit anything. Having them knife or chainsaw them is also effective as it messes with their vision.

If for some reason there is a very good player that seems to be getting way ahead of everyone else, consider vote kicking them if possible. Claim that they are using exploits, or playing unfairly (suggesting that they go play solo will also compound this idea, and get others on your side). Blocking the entrance to the trader for these players is also very wise, but make sure you only block it for them, and this way others won't vote kick you as you won't have done anything wrong in their eyes. In fact, I'd strongly suggest claiming they are the one doing it, and point out their high kill count as evidence. Inform others on how to kick players, but of course only when you want to kick someone else. When others are trying to kick you, tell them that alt+f4 will bring up the kick menu.

Take advantage of situations where others players are in danger. For instance, try to trick the player: Get your medical syringe out when a player is in trouble, and walk towards them as if to heal them. When close enough, trap them between you and the specimens so that they can't escape. If a player is in danger from several sirens or Flesh Pounds and they are trying to weld a door to keep them out, blow the door up with grenades and flee. If a player is surrounded and needs your help, advise him to throw a grenade. Hopefully it will just hit a specimen in front of him and bounce back to his position, blowing him up. There's also the chance that he'll just panic and throw it at the ground, hoping it won't kill him.

One strategy I strongly advise is shooting Flesh Pounds while they are near other players, as it's very possible to enrage them and cause them to kill anyone near, meaning more kills for you. Trapping players inside areas by welding doors behind you as you flee the scene ensures they will take more damage, and they will continually become enraged as the players attack it in defense. Having a friend play as support is very helpful in this case, as they can weld faster than other classes can unweld. Make sure you run back into the area when the danger is over, as there will be plenty of weapons for you to use. If you can't pick up enough weapons, try to waste their ammunition so that their previous (or next if someone steals the weapon) users don't have as much to use. Also, place the weapons on top of each other so they will continually pick up weapons they don't want.

Tactics that are no longer possible

While it's not so useful to know about tactics that you can no longer use, it is still useful to get ideas from them in order to figure out new ways to take advantage of bugs/exploits.

One good example was the Hunting Shotgun, which could be used to launch players into the air. If you did it near the edge of a map you could knock the player outside of the map, rendering them unable to play anymore without rejoining (which will force them to sit the round out and reset their score). A similar use for it was to make players fall large distances, taking out a huge chunk of their health. Or perhaps into an angry Flesh Pound!

Another good example was the gate exploit on the London map. You could use the gate to get on top of the wall, and then have a friend partially weld the gate and blow it up with grenades so that others couldn't share your camping spot. This was also a good time to use the Hunting Shotgun, as you could knock people off the wall with it.

Videos

YouTube - Killing Floor Tactics - Flesh Pounds (YouTube) - Angering Flesh Pounds while near other players, in order to get them killed.

Conclusion

With these tactics learned you should be on your way to winning every game you play, unless you play against someone better than you that also uses these tactics (or me, of course). I look forward to seeing your screenshots of being #1, please post them. Happy winning!

Last edited:
I had a good laugh, but the total lack of emoticons means that there will be new players who will actually take this seriously. (and that's makes me sad)

Now you may say, anyone who takes this seriously is an idiot ... well then you would be surprised how many "idiots" are out there :)
(it's not because you are a new player that you are an idiot. so new players, please don't take offense to this :p)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
F6Knight said:
I had a good laugh, but the total lack of emoticons means that there will be new players who will actually take this seriously. (and that's makes me sad)

Believe me. It is their problem. If people can't take irony and sarcasm they have nobody else to blame but themselves.

Usage of emoticons ruins this kind of humour.

Benjamin, great stuff! I loved it.

Upvote 0
So this is your guide to screwing over your team-mates? You're aware that this is a co-operative game? The only way you win is by your squad surviving.

If it's a joke, it's too subtle, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if someone actually believed all this.

Also, I kind of think this shouldn't be under "tactics" if it's a joke. The last thing we need is some newbie reading this and thinking you're serious and deciding to play like you describe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Benjamin, FYI i have reported your original post for inappropriate content.

This part of the forums is for genuine tactics to complete the game in the way the game is meant to be played.

You post promotes greifing, which in most games that I have played is considered harrasment and not acceptable under the EULA of the software.

If this post is indeed a joke, remove it and place it in the general forum.

Upvote 0
So this is your guide to screwing over your team-mates? You're aware that this is a co-operative game? The only way you win is by your squad surviving.

If it's a joke, it's too subtle, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if someone actually believed all this.

Also, I kind of think this shouldn't be under "tactics" if it's a joke. The last thing we need is some newbie reading this and thinking you're serious and deciding to play like you describe.

if you think this was too subtle you obviously haven't been on the internet for long. great guide dude, made me laugh nicely :D

Upvote 0