• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Crash] OpenAl serious error/XFi Fatal1ty

Valuial

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 21, 2009
I'm trying to get working 3d sound in red orchestra, my system's running on vista x64 and as far as i know the only way to get 3d sound working's to enable Openal. i went on alchemy website to find out how to configure everything to get it work. here's the instruction: To use native OpenAL, set audio settings to "H/W 3D + EAX" and make sure "System Driver" is NOT checked.

and in fact it work's... two minutes or so, and then the computer freeze/reboot.
So i have tried to "debug" what happen's. all my driver/directx/openal dll are up to date.
without openal enabled everything is running fine. game log doesn't show anything as they are truncated when computer reboot.

i also figured out that this bug is well known on UT3 engine as Epic have messed up with openal dll usage and it's seems that red orchestra are using the same dll.i haven't found anything about this on your forum about this, so is this a known issues? is there anyone who run this game with openal enabled with this brand of sound card (xfi with Xram emebeded not the other one without xram)that can help me?.

Before switching to vista i was running xp64 (one week before) and i never got any problem with 3dsound, so i don't think my hardware is the problem.

system spec:
vista x64
xfi fatal1ty fps (older pci model)
openal 1.1
if you need anymore details on hardware spec i can put i here, sorry my english isn't perfect.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply,

If i check "use system driver" 3d sound isn't activated even if my card is set in game/entertainement/musical creation mode. i also checked if audio in vista control pannel is set correctly, 7.1 channel's selected in the audio menu. i have found that a special xfi patch is out for ut2004 but atm i can't do any test, raid-0 doesn't like hard reboot at all ^^

Upvote 0
The "use system driver" makes ro use its own driver, the old one.
I have this prob. also and I think there is no solution atm. Im using vista64 and x-fi.
3d sounds should still work, they work for me. options are set for 3d + EAX & use system driver.
Without ticking the system driver, the sounds are lot better but my comp dies after few minutes. Personally I think it is creatives driver problem.

Upvote 0
I have the exact same problem. I am using a 7.1 X-Fi Xtemegamer with the latest drivers on it. COD4 works normally with my settings. But when I uncheck use system driver, it works great then few mins later I have a BSOD.

Have you checked out Creative Alchemy? It is supposed to sort out some of the issues with Directsound games, but Creative's site says RO isn't supported...

Still I'm going to give that a try when I feel like dealing with drivers. Maybe one of you is feeling a bit more ambitious? It doesn't sound bad in 2.1 so I'll play through for now.

Upvote 0
I have a blue screen too with an X-Fi and Windows Seven 64-bit, randomly during a game; a crash made by ctaud2k.sys
"Use System Driver" doesn't give me 3D sound, so the only way for me is to uncheck it, and it crashed in game.

I have try to put the ALAudio.dll file from Creative Pack for UT2004, but RO don't want to start with it.

Any idea ? Disable precache in the .ini ? Change the number of channels ? I will try that tomorrow...

Upvote 0
Fixed!

Fixed!

For all of you with the problem with x64 vista or windows 7 -> creative x-fi -> system driver uncheck-> bsod

Go to the http://support.creative.com and find your x-fi card.

Install the latest drivers for your card. Make sure you get the "Creative Software AutoUpdate"-program with the driver package.

Then download the "Product identification module update". This fixes the "Creative Software AutoUpdate" so that it will recognize your x-fi card.

Now use "Creative Software AutoUpdate" program (start menu) to update your drivers and ESPECIALLY install Creative Alchemy.

Reboot

Start "Creative Software AutoUpdate" again and update the just installed Creative alchemy to version 1.41.02. *Note* it doesn't seem to work with previous versions.

Reboot

Open Creative alchemy and push the "add" button. Game title= Red Orchestra. Check game path and put your "red orchestra\system" folders path there. example "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\red orchestra\System"

REMEMBER to move red orchestra to the "Alchemy enabled" side of the program.

Now start Red Orchestra and enjoy surround sound even with system driver ticked.

Ps. Creative says on their own website that alchemy doesn't work with Red orchestra http://connect.creativelabs.com/alchemy/Lists/Games/AllItems.aspx THATS BULL**** !

This works!

Upvote 0