• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

faster specimen, survive, huge boss enemy

rancid

Mar 29, 2009
Hello!
i saw some killing floor videos on youtube.
there are a few points that i would miss, if the game is like this videos:

- the specimen are too slow. i want faster action.
- walking around and looking for zombies to kill is a bit boring. its better when you have to simply survive on the way from A to B. the zombies have to find you.
- please implement a huge final-enemy(ies). i think thats a point what many people missed in left 4 dead.
- realistic weapon would be great. g36,m4,m16 =}

greetings

Last edited:
I think your missing the point of what the KF devs are trying to achieve read the interview on ign it kinda of explains what the devs are aiming for, and the impression i get is they dont want it to be a L4D clone with some differences.
Better yet try the mod, then come back and give more educated suggestions.

Upvote 0
i wish a bigger final-boss than the patriarch in the coming kf-version.

left 4 dead has some really brilliant unique selling points. i think its better
to copy them and add some individual kf-stuff than releasing a game with
the "old" gameplay which the people already know since doom1.

huge stage bosses (no player should be able to kill them alone, only with
teamplay) can be a good kf unique selling point and that it is more realistic
(no crosshair, no ammo/armor display). And i m glad that there is a
flamethrower, heheh.

huge bosses like this (or bigger!) would be fine
06.jpg

darkmessiah_zyklop_big.jpg

dark-messiah-of-might-magic-elements-200707020144459841.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
and i think one reason why unreal tournament 3 is a flop is, that the player are bored of games which play in the future. maybe this is the success of games like call of duty 4. the pc's are today strong enough the deliver credible realistic graphics for realistic games.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
and i think one reason why unreal tournament 3 is a flop is, that the player are bored of games which play in the future. maybe this is the success of games like call of duty 4. the pc's are today strong enough the deliver credible realistic graphics for realistic games.
You think so?..

Is that why Halo, UT99, UT2004, TF2, HL2, Portal, and Quake3 were unsuccessful?

- the specimen are too slow. i want faster action.
One type sprints when it gets close, another charges when it gets angry.
I'd like if they were faster, only if you could shoot their legs off to slow them.
The zombies are a lot harder to kill than L4D's. This mechanism makes you get screwed in small areas, or zombies coming around corners, and safe at far away.
- walking around and looking for zombies to kill is a bit boring. its better when you have to simply survive on the way from A to B. the zombies have to find you.
They come to you. Walking around looking for ones to kill is what L4D does. KF is a zombie survival game, L4D is a zombie hunting game.
- please implement a huge final-enemy(ies). i think thats a point what many people missed in left 4 dead.
What do you think the patriarch is?
- realistic weapon would be great. g36,m4,m16 =}
SA80, baretta, law aren't realistic?..
Only fake gun I think is the flame thrower. And its' not really clear what the shotguns are based off of.
The g36, m4, and m16 aren't british weapons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
thx for your detailed reply.

yes, all this old games you called was successfull in due course.
what do you think about quake wars - enemy territory or quake4 ?
tf2 has not that habbit success as other valve games.
but it still reach a bunch of players who like comic-style.
i think when they releached counter-strike 2 there would be
a enormous onrush.

..and L4D is a zombie survival game.. when you think its not
than you never played it.

edit:
pls watch the pics that i have posted.
these are huge enemy in my mind :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rancid I played Dark Messiah multiple times.
While the single player is one of the best, and in my opinion I regretted getting Oblvion first instead of DMoM&M, the one thing that was rather funny about these "huge" enemies, is that they we're rather easy to kill. The cyclops? Just block his attack with a shield and powerstrike his eye. The dragon? Just camp and wait till he opens his mouth and shoot some flamed arrows (or if you had it, the ice bow) in its mouth.
The patriarch is the exact opposite of this. While it is "small" compared to Fleshpounds, it can dish out HUGE damage, and take a major beating before going down. This adds to the fear effect.

Hahaha, the patriarch is so small? Lets just charge it head on with our shotguns.
Patriarch strikes one time with the claw, half health away of one player.
WTF????? RUN ITS UBER STRONG!!!11!1
Teams will be caught by suprise the first time which will add to the terror

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OMG! i just wanted to give some impressions of big cool enemies with this pics .... nothing more.

the patriach is a nice enemy, but small and not especially impressive for me ....
Thats the trick of the patriarch. Doesn't look impressive. However it does do impressive damage :D.
See it as spec ops. They have more firepower with C4 then most of the tanks these days, but can you tell when you compare them in size? No ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They could run on all fours, at least while they try to go through doors. If they have to adjust to the surroundings (ie make them smaller to pass through tight areas) this would even pronounce their size some more.
Yeah, or they could run on all fours all the time. They could pass through every hole a human can pass through but they would look more massive. A good example are these fellas from doom:

Upvote 0
more types of boss-type specimens besides patriarch (I guess you could sort of consider fleshpounds like bosses.. but not really) would be nice, but i'm more concerned with the current specimens functioning better and making people require teamwork more.

As long as you have distance you can winchester the weak zombies then LAW or hunting shotgun the big ones by yourself which is pretty much.

L4D does nicely to enforce teamwork except that it goes beyond enforcing it. It makes it frustrating and annoying if your teamates are bad. The whole instant incapacitates the hunters and smokers have. I'd hate to see that in KF, but how it is now it's kinda better to split up and camp seperate spawns. But if spawning is improved htat might not be an issue.

Upvote 0
They could run on all fours, at least while they try to go through doors. If they have to adjust to the surroundings (ie make them smaller to pass through tight areas) this would even pronounce their size some more.
Yeah, or they could run on all fours all the time. They could pass through every hole a human can pass through but they would look more massive. A good example are these fellas from doom:

I dont think Pinky was anywhere close to the scale of enemy the OP was suggesting , which , as robot pointed out would only work in a single player game with scripted "arenas" , or if every map in the game were colliseum-sized and just as open.

I played Dark messiah, and there was a good mix of different levels.

Oddly enough, you never fought dragons in the underground tomb levels :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0