• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Empire Total War

Right, just had a play about with it so here are my initial thoughts.

Took me a good 30 minutes to install this beast, after making room on my Raptor games hard drive for the 15Gb required.

Then we have the splash screen, took nearly as long to load from that as the demo. Next to the options to change the graphics settings, thankfully this is a lot quicker than the demo, 20 seconds tops with a progress bar.

At this point I thought '**** RtoI, I've played Shogun, Rome and Med2, I'll start with Grand Campaign'. GC has 4 types now: Short (50 yr, hold 5 certain provinces), Long (100yr, hold a lot more certain provinces), Prestige (100yr, hold certain provinces, finish with highest prestige of all existing nations) and World Domination (100yr, hold 50 provinces). I went for long and started up.

First impressions, wow. New campaign map looks amazing and is possibly more of a system hog than the actual battles. there's so much to look at I cant really describe it. End turn takes an age as there are so many nations to get through. My next thought is 'Where do I start?', I honestly had no idea, the basics of moving are still the same and construction is similar but the rest, I hadn't a clue, 'Back to RtoI I think'.

Before starting, I had a look at the historical battles. There's only 3 which is a bit disappointing. Lagos and Brandywine from the demo and another GB vs. France naval engagement.

RtoI drops you right into a battle to begin with and after you winning takes you to a 3 province world map, I won't go into much detail so you can explore it for yourself but basically you have 1 enemy and some of the world map menus unavailable. Despite being quite basic it's still enjoyable (I think) for a total war veteran.

General Info:
-Loading times are better, but still longer the Med2.
-I've only fought the Indians in RtoI so far but the AI seems all right, they've tried to flank me a couple of times and haven't done anything stupid yet.
-Performance is good, I'm running it completely maxed out w/Phenom 9950, 4Gb Ram, GTX 260 & Win XP and large battles run smoothly though the GC campaign map stutters a bit.
-Seems a lot more stable than the demo, I've had no problems at all so far whilst with the demo I had occaisional CTDs.
-No more hang up at the end of battles
-Battles are a lot noisier now, sounds of marching, shouting, screaming etc.

Upvote 0
woah, against all odds, the game arrived 2 days after the dispatch, I already played for a while and I have to agree with Hoppum's review

the game is much more complex now than the older total wars, its harder, and the world map takes too much power, I'm gonna update my video drivers to see if it helps.

This will be awesome... once I manage to learn how to properly play it lol =P

------------------------------

Update: So I did the same and started the road to independence campaign, it seems the right choice, is like a huge tutorial for the rest of the game

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My first decisive victory.
etw-1.jpg

Was attacking a French City and drew out the defenders with a feigned weak frontal attack and undefended cannon. Whilst that was happening I sent the majority of my line infantry round to the back of the city, scaled the walls, captured the gate and cleared the city of the cannon and militia defending from the back to the front. By the time the French forces realised I was taking their city I had my line infantry set on top of the hill they'd just marched down. I ended up defending their own city from them.

I also somehow ended up getting the achievement for controlling all of North America for capturing one province in RtoI.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
George Washington died in my campaign :p

It was kinda awful, I sieged a town (Quebec) right out of my ship, pretty much, and so the battle starts like this:

Quebec is on a rather large hill with a winding path down to the beachy area I'm at...problem is it is raining and this area is now a bog. My units move in super slow-mo in this stuff. They're sallying out so they run down the mountain into an awesome kill-zone since they get slowed too (they had mostly pike militia), but they set up cannon on the upper hill and one lucky ball manages to clip ol' George in the head, only killing him and no one else in his body guard.

I'm wondering if the next chapter I'll get him back or if I'm stuck with this new no-name general I promoted...

Upvote 0
how are you guys liking the game?

I like it so far, but IMO, it really needs a patch to fix all the bugs for now I've found a lot of stuff

buggy pathfind, very bad graphic performance and weird stuff that made me lose the last battle against France in the independence campaign, that was being unable to cross the bridge to get to the other shore, each time i ordered a unit to go to the other side, the game just froze for 15 seconds, and then the units do nothing as if the order never happened, and some random freezing in that same mission

I also think that gunfire should kill more people

Upvote 0
how are you guys liking the game?

I like it so far, but IMO, it really needs a patch to fix all the bugs for now I've found a lot of stuff

buggy pathfind, very bad graphic performance and weird stuff that made me lose the last battle against France in the independence campaign, that was being unable to cross the bridge to get to the other shore, each time i ordered a unit to go to the other side, the game just froze for 15 seconds, and then the units do nothing as if the order never happened, and some random freezing in that same mission

I also think that gunfire should kill more people

Only thing ive expierenced is my saves are corrupted and I crash to the desktop anytime I try to loading them... Pretty annoying but I was only 12 or 13 turns in.

Also I think the gunfire is modeled well, look at casualty reports from the era and you'll see actual combat deaths are not that high. Now theres a high chance a lot of the wounded eventually died, but thats kind of hard to put into a video game :p

Upvote 0
I'm playing the United Provinces atm, pretty fun but hard faction to play. I get harrased by pirates and the french every bloody turn. I can hardly make any money with them blocking trade routes, but still I managed to take several objective regions. Only need 2 now.

Overall pretty awesome game. Playing some Road to Independence atm, gotta say it's better than I thought. I like the narative and the way you are steered towards what you need to do. It's easier than the campaign mode, and maybe that's why it's better to start with to get the hang of things. Slaughtered some Indians like a true Yank. Nice.

Had my first 1 v 1 and won, and after that we did a 2 v 2 with us against AI. Also pretty fun, but it's a bit too split in 2. It's like the both of you are playing a 1 v 1 but you can watch eatchother. But we did help one another out, so I guess it's not totally like that.

This game is pwn.

Picture is taken by The Masta but this is the 1 v 1 we had :)
Empire2009-03-0623-54-15-95.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0