• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Trying to get back into RO but...

LogisticEarth

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 24, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
...all I can find is the stale old TWB east coast US server.

I stopped playing RO a few months ago, as I just got tired of playing it almost exclusively for half a year. But a couple weeks ago I started to get the RO bug again. It started with a discussion on another forum about good realistic FPSes. So I've been jumping back on recently, but the only populated server I can find with good ping (East coast US here) is the TWB Old Glory server. And from what I can tell most of the rotation on that server is just what it used to be: Stock maps over and over again. Now a few of the stock maps still kick butt, but a lot of them are very, very overplayed for me. Kurland Kessel is a good example of this, it's just...bland.

What I'd love to see is an organized server that runs some of the better custom maps and a few "best of" old standards. I really have an itch to play a good match of Kriegstadt or Berezina_1941. Nice, big (but not too big) combined arms maps are my thing. Does any server out there still play this kind of stuff, or is RO in it's old age not able to muster up a good custom server rotation anymore? Are there fight-nights where team-play minded people play together on Kriegstadt, Grain_Silo, Berezina, and such?

I just REALLY want some interesting organized team play, and the stock-map, pubbie TWB servers have never consitently provided that.

Not to be rude but how does:
LogisticEarth said:
"are there any good custom servers out there?"
"Nice, big (but not too big) combined arms maps are my thing."
"Now a few of the stock maps still kick butt, but a lot of them are very, very overplayed for me."

Translate into:
Unmodded 24/7 Danzig

That's about the opposite of what I'm looking for.

Upvote 0
TWB Boothill server is available with custom map voting. The problem obviously is seeding the server and then getting enough players to play. It's a 32 player system. Maps and my personal ratings:
Wateverovko: B+
Kolno: B
KoitosK1: B-
RoadtoHill Infantry: B-
Enemy at the Gates 2: B-
Korosten: C+

Bialystok: C
Warsaw2: C

Map descriptions located in these forums and on TWB server.
I agree, the servers with a lot of players seem to be TWB servers with stock map rotation and variaty would be very nice. With DH releasing at the end of January, that will be a shot in the arm.

Upvote 0
I'd be open to clan play or some kind of league play. If I know who I'm playing with that's alway a huge plus. I've never joined a clan before though. It would have to be fairly casual though as I do have a job, girlfriend, family, etc. (you know a "life" :p ). Are there units out there like that?

Yes, our 3rdAD/{SHD} is "Casual" as you say. Many of us have families (I just got married) but we play when we can. We are usually mature, but it is afterall a game, so we still have fun. We are involved with the RO League, and play DH "Realism" campaigns and MN Campaign. You can play whenever you want. We have our own vent and game server. No fees or due's, (just donate if/when you can). You can check us out at,

www.spearheaddivision.com

We are really looking for infantry at the moment.

Upvote 0
What I'd love to see is an organized server that runs some of the better custom maps and a few "best of" old standards.
2Manny's tried VERY, VERY hard to keep this kind of server going. Unfortunately, even with a small group of regulars, it remained sparsely populated most of the time. There just aren't enough people playing anymore.

By the way, 2Manny's switched over to Darkest Hour. I'm not sure things are any better over there.

Upvote 0
I used to play on 2MANNY's whenever I could. Part of the problem was that they had SO many custom maps it was watered down. Half the time the server got populated, you'd end up playing some frantic 2-room map or some unpolished POS custom one. When they got a full server rocking on some of the top custom maps it was glorious though.

I'll have to check out the 3rd. Div. and the new Iron Crescendo coming up though. I think that's probably my best bet for the type of play i'm looking for.

It's a shame, because TWB has such a huge market share of players with their servers, but every time I play on them it just feels so...backward. And that and 24/7 Danzig is all I can find anymore. :(

Upvote 0
Come over to the [50pc.]_RO Server anytime we are on everyday from 10pm to 2am eastern. We run stock RO and alot of custom maps! We would be glad to have you on the server. We like alot of teamwork but most of all we just like to have a good time and get away from RL for a couple of hours LOL. Hope to see you soon on the server.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
10pm to 1 am Eastern is usually pretty full on the [50pc] RO server.
Its a 40 man server with a lot of custom maps.
Usually, theres a lot of interest in combined arms (Parizerplatz, Kreigstadt, etc.)
Teamplay is encouraged and welcomed. When the "regulars" are on, team co-ordination is almost always the case.
But as with any server, the players on at the time dictate the amount.

Floyd

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Welcome back Logistic. Yes 2Manny's just can't get people over there and we once had one of the best servers going especially for Customs. The way we were trying to work things out never really happened.

The reason for ALL the Customs was to un-water it down with suggestions from the community but the community never gave us any feedback about what maps to keep and what maps to get rid of.

You need to download Darkest Hour mod you may not go back to straight old RO again.

2Manny's is now an exclusively a DH server with Customs of course again. Of course the issue once again is having people in there to fill it up. Many people are always in other servers complaining about the server and it's players and the pings and so on but they ALWAYS seem to stay there instead of going to other servers and calling it their own. Heck if our server could get 10 people any given night that 10 would easily become 20 then 30 and before you'd know it, it would have 40 players and all the players would have to do is return every evening at the same times and BINGO you'd have a great server once again.

The community as a whole is broken up into 3 groups now with RO/CC, DH, MN and there is ONLY 3 servers that are constantly full or get players period at a good number for players here in the US.

If you set your filters correctly for a good RO experience you'll be lucky to even get 3 good servers in which to play and all the other ones which could be VERY good sit EMPTY... It's really time for a new game and community at this point.

Either way welcome back hope you enjoy your stay.

Upvote 0
the 50 player servers only kill because of the maps that run on them....Danzig with 50?!?! :D at least Danzig Remix was on....a little better than regular for 50......but again, problem is that when medium to large sized customs go on the servers, it gets killed......seems like every time a decent custom goes on the TWB servers, people leave. The =TaT= tanking server is also decent, [50pc.] server is great, SiN CiTY, AKA Battlegrounds, {187th} and Old Farts are also good 32-40 man NA servers when they get filled up most week nights and weekends around 8pm-2am EST....the best option for quality team play is clanning....{SHD} highly recommended ;)

Upvote 0
Problem with many servers and a few that you've mentioned are known to boot players who are on top. They supposedly do this to allow their users to play. I won't mention any names but I've been booted from several servers due to this so called practice.

If you are going to boot anyone it should be the low man on the totem pole not the guy who is sitting on top the leader board.

When this kind of crap goes on in the community it keeps me from ever playing on that type of server again.

At this point if 2Manny's has no one in it or the 29th for DH or for RO if I can NOT get into Old Glory since it's always filled to the hilt then I don't even play the game period.

The biggest problem with the 29th is they are always scrimmaging and they take their full server and boot everyone to scrim. Of course they have enough people to fill it without anyone else in the community.

Instead of those people who do get booted or have to leave going to say 2Manny's for their DH, they either don't play or do something else.

I've been trying to get those folks to come over and play there and make our server their new home when the scrims are going on that way at least 2 DH servers are constantly full but no one has bitten into that philosophy...

So at this point it's just a sit and wait for Game 2 or something to switch the server over to that has a great feel as RO does...

Upvote 0
the boot feature for reserve slots is RANDOM btw......and actually, none of those servers even have that feature ;) i remember the RTR servers used to back in the day......hated trying to get in, finally getting in, then the random boot....sometimes after 2 rounds when i was in 1st place, sometimes in 5 minutes when i was still on the bottom half....

Upvote 0
Over at the TWB servers we have tried having custom maps on, they drove away our playerbase. We had mapvoting and saw an empty server. We have tried each and every suggestion at one point or another and the server emptied. We even made a best of server, 32 player, customs and classic stock maps with mapvoting. We actually got the server full one day. To our surprise stock Arad was voted over and over for hours. As soon as I forced a new map, the server went empty.
We understand and appreciate everyones opinions. However please understand our perspective. We have tried many things and the way the server is currently setup is what maintains our playerbase.

For reference here is the current stats from serverspy.net

Server2
There have been 4100 unique players with
6090 hours played over the past 7 days!

Server1
There have been 3412 unique players with
4501 hours played over the past 7 days!

Old glory
There have been 3005 unique players with
4477 hours played over the past 7 days!

Even if you did an average with every player playing all three server equally, it still comes out to a large playerbase.
If you don't like our servers thats fine, but please don't be negative towards us as we do respect the players and try to please the playerbase by trying different suggestions. Obviously your mileage will vary.

Sincerly,
TWB*JimMiller

Upvote 0