• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Insurgency... A modern RO? (merged)

cannot count anymore how many "towelheads" i shot on my own team because i thought they were wearing a USMC kevlar helmet at first glance. i dont know why that towel/yellow camo-combination is so frewuently used. i always end up shooting them...

the steam release brought a lot of "noobs" to the game, though. a guy named anton threatened to shoot everybody on his team until someone would tell him how to use the m203...
the idea of capturing areas seems to be new to most online fpssers, too. really looks like they lured the CS-playerbase to that mod. RO-noobs are much more user friendly. they listen to you and mostly are willing to learn

Upvote 0
cannot count anymore how many "towelheads" i shot on my own team because i thought they were wearing a USMC kevlar helmet at first glance. i dont know why that towel/yellow camo-combination is so frewuently used. i always end up shooting them...

the steam release brought a lot of "noobs" to the game, though. a guy named anton threatened to shoot everybody on his team until someone would tell him how to use the m203...
the idea of capturing areas seems to be new to most online fpssers, too. really looks like they lured the CS-playerbase to that mod. RO-noobs are much more user friendly. they listen to you and mostly are willing to learn
This ragging on CS thing is rather annoying. Don't act or pretend like there aren't morons in any other FPS already out there, RO included. I admit the CS community can be annoying as hell at times, but even I'm getting sick of the pointless attacks on them.

As for the mod, it's come a long way since I last called it complete garbage, but it seems like for everything they fixed, they either didn't fix something else or made some things worse.

Upvote 0
the weenie tempts you!

the weenie tempts you!

I admit the CS community can be annoying as hell at times, but even I'm getting sick of the pointless attacks on them.

I have never been a member of any gaming community, ever, where CS players where not universally considdered the readheaded bastard children of gaming by all.. face it, you are Pinata's by definition, and its allways a birthday somewhere! :D

Upvote 0
I have never been a member of any gaming community, ever, where CS players where not universally considdered the readheaded bastard children of gaming by all.. face it, you are Pinata's by definition, and its allways a birthday somewhere! :D
I should mention to not include me in such ludicrous statements either, if for no other reason than the fact that I never was and never will be the type of person you're describing, nor have I played Counter-Strike in well over a year now.

Upvote 0
I myself come from a Half Life/CS/TF background.
I have two boys that were weaned on the same...

We do not team kill or spoil other peoples game.

I have found that this sort of TKiling attitude is more than excessive in Insurgency.
Maybe its the game itself that attracts this type of person.

The problem remains to be fixed by the developers.
Cool people, cool...

Upvote 0
quest for the jade monkey

quest for the jade monkey

Post of the week, right there... :D

Upvote 0
I should mention to not include me in such ludicrous statements either, if for no other reason than the fact that I never was and never will be the type of person you're describing, nor have I played Counter-Strike in well over a year now.

You need more humour in your life Zips, you are much too grumpy, the post had Pinata's and everything, how's that not festive? take good spirited banter for what it is and have a smile, its good for your health :)

But there is an underlying truth to it all, the CS community has a rather.. unique culture build up around it, and i'm not just talking about griefers on servers, its also in how people communicate and interact, ever had a look at 4Chan? there's another community with a very unique tone, and you can allways spot a /b/tard when he comes to another community and brings that tone with him, same for CS players, they stick out in a crowd.

Upvote 0
Played this again for the last 2 days and must say (shame on me) its not too bad at all. Through, the points mentioned before still hold true. I found lots of good teamwork on french and some german servers to the later hour ( when the kids sleep... ) But overall, its nice to wield a AK or a automatic shotgun here and there instead of a single action bolt all the time.:D

Still, some maps are just too small and cry for spawncamp. I just wish for more custom cloths ( man those adidas sneakers in lightblue are topseller in iraq ) and bug fixes.

Upvote 0
i just love the shotgun. they reduced its power with the last patch, i believe, but it's still great fun.
to me the recoil on the AK seems a little low on full auto tbh. it's not hard to put 4-5 bullets into an enemy who is 40m away. the first shot usually does the job, though, so there actually is no need to complain. it just feels a little odd.

Upvote 0
Tried this game out for the second time yesterday and today. It's alright but has some serious issues.

a) Maps are ridiculously small
b) Already small maps are made smaller by chokepoint after chokepoint. It's ****ing ridiculous. As soon as one team manages to get an MG/few rifleman set up in position it's very difficult to take them out (the maps are small enough that snipers don't offer that big an advantage)
c) Sounds are ****ed up. You can't tell where the hell bullets are coming from because of the insanely overdone echo effects.
d) No muzzle flashes. Again, impossible to pinpoint where enemy fire is coming from. Imagine RO without any directional sound (or an overload of it) and no muzzle flashes. It'd be ****ing impossible.

The beauty of RO is that one team can set up strongpoints, but there's ALWAYS a way to get around it.

The lack of ballistics is a pain in the *** too.

Plus the atmosphere doesn't even come close to RO's. How could it though? The whole Iraqi/Arab town thing is done to death and boring as hell anyways.

It's better than CS/DOD though. Good alternative if I'm not feeling like playing RO I suppose. Still haven't managed to find a full RnL server (guess that says a lot :p), how does it compare?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is a fresh change, as you can do 20matches in 30min.
It is a good training for RO inside buildings or close urban enviroments.
compared to those maps (Except Sinjar), RO-Danzig is open...
Good to dischare adrenaline or to connect for 30mn, but it is not RO...
On the other hand, I found that getting results as US is more difficult (maybe because I don

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I tried the first beta released in '07 and i hated it. It was very buggy & maps were confusing. However i tried the Steamworks version and I really like it and i think its come a long, long way since the first beta. Most of the bugs have been ironed out and overall it feels very polished.

The maps which let the early versions down have been tweaked and updated, so it is no longer a confused mess of a game. Instead it flows really well with some intense fire fights in many of the map choke points. Its also very unforgiving and hard, sometimes frustrating but it rewards your patience once you have learned the maps.

The pace is pretty smooth too, a bit faster than RO but not too fast it turns into a COD like frenzy so you cant go rushing in and not expect to die. Movement never feels clunky and awkward.

There are some good community servers such as 'THE O.C' UK server, people often communicate and consequently, it creates good teamwork. I recommend anyone who likes tactical, slower paced shooters to try this. Keep and open mind and enjoy it for what it is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0