• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Brothers in Arms HH E3 trailer

Tag-related.

EMOBAKER.jpg

Upvote 0
Woah, what's this crap being pushed back to the 8th all about?:mad:

@Kapula, be glad they dont make yet another heroic rambo warhero with 2 medal of honours strapped to his chest for spitting Hitler in the face.
Personally i'm really interested to see the emotional situations Baker is gonna find himself in, and how he deals with them and how it effects them.
I'm more interested in the emotional/mental aspect of war then the combat itself even, so i'm glad they decided to go this route with the story.
Go cry some moar about Baker crying, i think it's awesome.:p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Fixed :eek:

Also, big soldiers do cry.
Knew this guy, big as an ox, strong like one too, said he'd drive over the first dead body he'd see in Afghanistan.
But after he saw the first dead body, they had to send him back with mental trauma.

I'm just sick and tired of soldiers in games who kill, maim and blow up other people and just 'wipe it off', or are thrilled about it. Most soldiers arent.
It's time somebody understands this and tried to reflect that.
If you dont like it, dont play.

Upvote 0
Well on one hand there's no doubt that if you have the real experience your life will probably change or at least you are going to be marked forever. A normal guy has never seen a dead body or at least not like what you'd probably seen in places like afghanistan(reaching from 'normal' shot wounds to crashed heads, body parts blown off etc). That's all the brutal reality and I think we can all be lucky not to have experienced that. And to be honest I wouldn't want to experience that in a game either. To some point yes, but there's a limit.

Upvote 0
Lots of soldiers do enjoy fighting and killing and get a buzz off the adrenaline, and most media that portrays those people try to de-glamorize it. Video games however, put you in their shoes and take you for a fun little ride.

Only those who are not sane. Those are called psychopats. And they can be also found from armies around world.

But it

Upvote 0
The big soldiers line was a joke :p
But anyways, I think they're somewhat overdoing it. The crying doesn't really happen in combat or not even in between. It usually happens after the war when the veterans actually contemplate what they had done and seen in the war.

What makes you think that every soldier will always be 100% effective in a combat situation? War is an ugly thing, and killing a man (especially for the first time) is not something most soldiers do with ease. Here's something from a small book I have in .pdf:

Hollywood is great at making war seem so simple and strait forward. It makes the watcher believe that people kill each other because they are told, because it is kill or be killed, the enemy is hated or whatever. Hollywood tries to make us believe that all soldiers fire at each other, desperately attempting to hit and kill each other. While there is some truth in the matter, it is mostly wrong.

An excellent book to read on this subject is "On Killing : The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society" by Dave Grossman. I highly recommend you read this book as it goes into great detail on the subject, much more than can be covered here.

When most people talk about killing, they are like virgins talking about sex. You can talk about it all day, you can fully understand the mechanics involved but when the time comes there is so much more involved than the person thought.

When bullets start flying emotions start running high and that can have a powerful effect on
how a person sees things. Five hundred combatants can see five hundred different things. In
war every fighter see's things differently. The movies like to make people think that the world is
black and white, not different shades of gray.

A look at history might help illustrate what I am talking about. In World War Two, it is a fact that only 15-20 percent of the soldiers fired at the enemy. That is one in five soldiers actually shooting at a Nazi when he sees one. While this rate may have increased in desperate situations, in most combat situations soldiers were reluctant to kill each other. The Civil War was not dramatically different or any previous wars.

In Korea, the rate of soldiers unwilling to fire on the enemy decreased and fifty five percent of the soldiers fired at the enemy. In Vietnam, this rate increased to about ninety five percent but this doesn't mean they were trying to hit the target. In fact it usually took around fifty-two thousand bullets to score one kill in regular infantry units! It may be interesting to not that when Special Forces kills are recorded and monitored this often includes kills scored by calling in artillery or close air support. In this way SF type units could score very high kill ratios like fifty to a hundred for every SF trooper killed. This is not to say these elite troops didn't score a large number of bullet type kills. It is interesting to note that most kills in war are from artillery or other mass destruction type weapons.

If one studies history and is able to cut through the hype, one will find that man is often unwilling to kill his fellow man and the fighter finds it very traumatic when he has to do so. On the battlefield the stress of being killed and injured is not always the main fear.

So you can keep your mindless, faceless, robotic soldiers. :D I for one respect Gearbox for adding more depth and character to the game than most war games.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Exactly.
The people who join the army to kill are psychopathic in at least 1 or more ways, whereas in my experience most people join because they want to help in one way or another.
Some idiotically just sign up for the money, too. But when it comes to combat, and killing people, every man is ofcourse different.
People freeze up, unknowing what to do at the moment (yeah yeah, pull the trigger, obvious. But not that easy as it sounds), etc.
I've known this sergeant who had to kill a man, and it took him a long time before he could deal with that and before he could properly function again.
Some people experience it long after it happened, some right after, some even before, you cant say what one would do because everyone is different.
So, like Nimsky says, keep your robotic soldiers, show some emotion and at least TRY to get a bit closer to what it could be like.

Upvote 0
In World War Two, it is a fact that only 15-20 percent of the soldiers fired at the enemy.

This fact is taken well out of context! About 15-20 percent (or higher, who really knows...) fired their weapons in anger or was in an actual combat situation!!

FACT

People say the veterans left today dont want to talk about the war. The fact is, for them there is nothing to talk about!

My Grandad was in NA and never saw action. He was even eventually sent home sick and never encountered the enemy!

My neighbour in South Africa went mad from shell shock... from the sounds of his own artillery being fired!

I personally would engage the enemy with great glee... if I ever saw them lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All the points stand but I still think it's rather overdone. Most veterans that were young men at the time said they'd just fire _robotically_ at the enemy because that was what they'd been trained for. Of course the percentage who actually scored hits was much lower but I just see the emotional part as a bit overdone; I mean, most people realize what they were doing when the war is over or when they get a substantial break from the combat. Crying while in a war zone is just something that doesn't strike me as realistic soldier behaviour.

Upvote 0
He doesn't just cry while he is under fire, does he?
He crys after battles where he sees his dead buddies being dragged away. He crys when he sees the ruins of a town that was destroyed in the battles he was leading. He crys when he thinks of home.
Those are all valid reasons to cry, in my opinion. No need to wait until after the war. Being a soldier or not doesn't change that much.

Even if the drama is a bit overdone, it's better than not having it.
BiA has never been a cold simulator like Flashpoint ("Oh no. TWO is down.") but it was mostly about atmosphere and drama. I didn't like it despite that but FOR that.

Upvote 0