• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

My only gripe about the game.

Schroder1

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 29, 2008
I respect RO as a game that had the balls to do something realistic and different, but theres just something missing. It just barely fails to reach its full potential.

Why is it, when I join a server, I very rarely see combined arms, and coherent tatics? I know that you can't force players to play in a certain manner, thats not quite what I'm talking about, I'm talking about having tanks, infantry, and halftracks working together, and complementing each other.

Rather than have generic and unclear objectives, why not have more robust ones? (See Wolfenstein, Enemy Territory)

The game just doesnt feel like a war. Its a spawn, kill, and die pattern that continues endlessly. And most of the time its either only infantry, or only tanks, and never do they work together.

Thoughts?

my thoughts

my thoughts

I agree with you Schroder, first of all this game doesnt provide enough tools to develop a strategy, to have a coherent tactics.

Even if you want or try you can't make players to play in a certain manner, how can you do that? you can spam on chat go there and there but nobody knows where are his mates including you, how many are in a place or another on map, How can you do a strategy like this?
You can try that on voice chat, the result will be the same.

A major improvement here will be if you can see your side i mean only players from your side on map. In this way, each player will see whats the situation in a sec, and belive me this will allows you to make a strategy.

Another thing is this poor chat. What you type will appear just for a few sec and sometimes you have no time to read everything, you have no visible chat history and i mean only chat history not the game history with all the **** like x killed y and all game spams like a page with w8ing for another member...etc.
Another thing, for ex. if 2 or more players are in the same area, they cant talk eachother in a local chat or area chat to make their own strategy how to attack/defence that area. They have to use the same general chat where everybody talk about everything without a proper chat history ...etc.

... and many others, in my opinion, usefull things can be added here ...

Upvote 0
It depends upon the players. If you have a small group (clan or whatever) that communicates and acts in concert then you have that happening. Sometimes you find cooperative play by players on public servers, though it depends on how many really like the feeling of wining without racking up a huge score.

How many snipers sit back and try to remove the MG or other sniper, or deny an avenue of approach? Are there rifle men supplying the MG gun as requested, or guarding their flanks?

Build rapport with the players you have, talk it up, sometimes you get the results you want.

Upvote 0
I have been mostly on the receiving end of coordinated attacks and when people can do that, they can steamroll right thru a map.

I don't talk much when I play because it is usually after the kids goto bed and the wife yells at me and how loud i am. However, i am always using the "help needed at cap point x" and I always load up mg'ers. I wish that people who take squad leader roles use it effectively and "order" people what to do. I always ask about where my mates need smoke, or where is the enemy sniper/mg'er when I am in sniper role.

Basically, don't be a dick, ask politely for cooperation and if you know what the hell you are talking about, people will mostly cooperate...except for tankers! They only ask for help after being satcheled multiple times.

Upvote 0
I usually base my own level of communication on how much effort the rest of the team seem to put into it (or rather, how interested they are in actually being a team). If nobody's saying anything and people are just off doing their own thing, I'll occasionally suggest something via text chat while doing my best to either achieve the objectives myself, or aid my team in doing so (usually through covering them or getting in amongst enemy armour and ruining their day with Panzerfausts). If they're talking to each other, moving together, etc. I'll grab my mic and speak up, and join in. I used to play as part of a realism unit (still would if real life didn't get in the way), so I'm right at home coordinating proper attacks... I just don't really put in the effort if I feel it's going to be wasted. Sometimes people will start talking after someone pipes up, but if they remain in lone wolf mode after that, things are unlikely to progress any further.

Upvote 0
Atm yes you can call/help to cap/defense point X and when you do that some ppl will respond to your request (well ofc. depends how polite you do it, in what language ...etc). But in the same it happens another thing, many time I've seen more then necessary ppl to cap/defense a certain point and ofc another points without any defense. This is what i am talking about.
Thats why I found very useful to see your own ppl on map, this option allows you to spread in a much better way all over the map, it will be more interesting like this.
Hope you are agree with me.

Upvote 0
This isn't an issue when you play in a clan/unit in competitions. Maps like Arad and Alte Z are crucial to having combined arms. In Arad, you keep your anti-tank infantry in the villages and the tanks in the open covering their flanks. My clan always utilizes combined arms when available. My unit is comprised of 2 types, infantry and tankers. You specialize in one area and then move into the other and before match, you choose your strength. A organized unit working together will slaughter even the best individual skilled soldiers. I would say {SHD} had some of the best tankers around Individually, but due to our inexperience as a team we weren't winning on Tank strong maps. It wasn't until recently we worked better together that we are a threat to even the most veteran/elite units/clans.

Upvote 0
Whos talking here about clans???

I am talking about how this game can be better, its my point of view and after all this is an ideas/suggestions topic. What are u trying to say? whole ppl who plays this game should be in some clans and everything will be perfect.

One more thing, a game with poor (for ex. communication tools) doenst make him more realistic.

Upvote 0
Good comments...sometimes someone will organize and try to pull together a strategy. I've seen this done only on the German AT Gun Assault and Russian Front Line Assault where the first cap can go seriously wrong, wrong, wrong...on the public servers.

The other issue is when someone tries to organize, other yahoo's start shouting them down and telling them to shut up. Quickly puts a damper on someone's attempt at tactics.

If you are interested in a tactics sense of realism, a clan is probably the only viable solution.

I guess we could try organizing a non-clan structure to play on the pubs...something akin to a partisan unit...:)... meaning a non-organized, unfunded, untrained, non ruling-body sponsored fighting team...you know... partisans!!!

We might get some public server tactics out of something like that...who knows?

We could join during a session...just need the leader to start it...we could be Shroder's Shaggers...or Zero's Zealots. LOL :p

Upvote 0
I have seen combined arms tactics on public maps. And it's truly impressive. Watch what happens when you get 3 tankers operating as a platoon. They wipe out the opposition. Or when you have 5 infantry supporting an MG and operating as a squad. They clear the map.

Some people on public servers are more willing than others to work as a team. Just ask them to get with you.

Upvote 0
Because of my minimum ping rate around 250mS, i usually play and independent role, hopefully supporting at longer ranges with a bolt or sniper rifle.

But yes, a team effort is gratifying, as I had on one Odessa map, where one guy and myself (Axis) advanced up the road from the tower pushing back all opposition. This just happened naturally, he on one side of the road, myself on the other - as one russki tried to do him, I'd do the russki, and as one sneaked up on me, he'd plug that one, and so it went on.

It was wonderful...:D we were not dying, and doing a lot of killing... then the map ended :(

Upvote 0
I agree with Foo'bar that Alte-Ziegelei is a good map for encouraging cooperation. The only reason I'm posting here now is the AZ servers are empty at the moment. :-(

RO could use more cooperation. RO is the best game I know of but it's not perfect. Still, cooperation among different arms does happen at times.

I also think that maps/servers that run the Armored Beasts mod tend to have more realistic tank/infantry cooperation.

Upvote 0
My complaint is the Pro-German bias of the game.

You may flame me...but if you play both sides...just think of the incredibly lame things that have happened to you in the game...and then think about which side you were on when it happened. My bet is that it was mostly, if not all, the times you were playing a Russian.

Upvote 0