• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hearing

This is actually a good idea and I don't believe it's been discussed before.
Although, I think that it should only happen if a grenade explodes near you while you're in cover so that if you don't die, your ears are ringing; it shouldn't deafen you from across the map.

If it's possible coding-wise, it'd also be good that it deafens you for a longer period of time if you're in an enclosed space.

Upvote 0
This is actually a good idea and I don't believe it's been discussed before.
Although, I think that it should only happen if a grenade explodes near you while you're in cover so that if you don't die, your ears are ringing; it shouldn't deafen you from across the map.

If it's possible coding-wise, it'd also be good that it deafens you for a longer period of time if you're in an enclosed space.
I like how COD4 handles the flash bang grenades.
Something like that effect would be brilliant in RO.

Upvote 0
What also would be a neat idea (and another first as far as I know in games) would be to have a slight-to-moderate ringing/deafness prompted by sustained rifle fire. If you've ever been around a Mosin or 98k without proper hearing protection (don't think the soldiers were wearing foam ear plugs into battle :p) you're going to have some temporary hearing loss.

I remember one time I was goose hunting as a kid and fired off three quick shots with a 12 gauge at a flock that was taking off. By the third shell I could barely hear anything but the shot itself. I turned towards my dad's friend who was frantically telling me to reload, and it looked like he was totally silent, but gesticulating wildly all over the place. It was kind of surreal.

Upvote 0
Good idea. I don't know how much the average player would like it, but it makes sense.

Once (maybe 15 years ago) me and a buddy went out to an old quarry with our AKs and burned through about 1000 rounds. Silly me, I forgot my ear plugs. I didn't notice in the moment, but by the time we were packing up I had lost ALL the hearing in my right ear, and about 40% in my left ear. It all slowly came back over the next week, but it scared the holy crap out of me. I thought I'd lost my hearing for good! Suuuucked. I can't imagine the hearing damage you would suffer in a war.

Upvote 0
The only way youre gonna lose your hearing to a grenade if it literally goes off right next to you; yeah youll get some ringing in your ears otherwise. But total loss of hearing would be the last of my worries if a damn grenade goes off next to me. Besides its hard for a video game to model the true effect of a grenade blast, I mean sure you can use cheap effects like loss of hearing and concussion, but having one go off VERY close to you is somewhat traumatic. Id just think Tripwire should focus more on the actual sound of the grenade; because personally a grenade going off twenty feet away was the loudest ****ing thing ive ever heard in my life, but it certainly didnt effect my hearing too much.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Then maybe also make either loss or ringing occur when that is2 or Tiger lets fly with those quiet little shells, or lands a HE round in your vicinity..
that said it could be kinda fun if a nade or He round lands near you while standing (and you arent flagged as killed) that you get knocked to ground.
since we are chasing realism

Upvote 0