• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Russian army in Georgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again...i dont trust ANY sides report here. And iam far from trusting some russian kid in the US of A that thinks he knows it all useing the same media i do. Yeah right. Booth sides throw around all those words like "genocide" way to easy for my taste.

The first casualty in this conflict was the truth.
i whould like to add humanity to that list...

Besides the first things i read about it was in fact that georgia sended troops and shelled some resulting in the deads of those 10 peacekeeping soliders.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's obvious that no side can be fully trusted. I've actually been following various media coverages: Polish "Gazeta Wyborcza" (biased against Russia; emphasising aggresion towards Georgian civilians), The Times (at first seemed like they were biased against Georgia, later on tried to balance that out and seemed negative towards Russian use of force), Russian (with awesome titles like "Tskhinvali is like Katyn now; or worse" in Izviestia - so obviously not drumming the propaganda drum) and German ones (which seemed most level-headed and just recounted who said what; Welt Online also recounted something which no other newspaper did - the sinking of a Georgian "schnellboot" by Russian ships).

Sure, the truth is most probably beyond us. I couldn't - for the love of me - understand why the Georgian president authorised the attack, but then again knowing the background of slander and hyping up the war frenzy, plus the (allegedly) Russian-supported rebels, I can see where they could get the thought of attacking from. However, I am surprised that they really didn't see the Russian steamroller coming down first thing something happens in the contested region.

Hell, the whole thing makes me think of the Kursk incident: Russia's got a new head of state, no one knows what to expect, because he's not a proven man - then WHAM, there's a crisis situation, the man goes missing and, lo and behold, on the third day (well, not exactly) we witness the ressurection of Christ and he delivers the world from evil, taking prompt and just action.

So, that was some shoving around by those Kaukasian folks. Beijing pales in comaprison with this - at least for me.

EDIT: Whoops. Obviously, being the biased and corrupt Westerner that I am, I've misread "Khatyn" (Хатынь) for "Katyn". As we all know, no such thing as the Katyn massacre ever happened and anyways everyone knows that it was a German-run op. Both in Khatyn and Katyn.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Seems like Russia had been gearing up for this for a while - they were able to deploy the entire 58th army in a day or two and achieved air supriority about 3 seconds after they decided to kick off.

It would not surprise me in the least if the Russian intelligence services knew Saakashvili had the attack on Tskhanvili planned and thought, "OK - let him attack, even better if the Georgians commit a few atrocities; that way we have the perfect excuse to show them who is boss."

I dod not for one second buy the Russian stories of Georgians releasing prisoners to go into Tskhanvili or the other stuff about tanks deliberately running over old ladies etc. Nor do I think the Russians, for example, deliberately targetted civilian blocks in Gori - simple incompetence could account for that. This is the kind of stuff that is said by and happens to any side in a war.

Anyway, the point has been made; the Georgian armed forces got well and truly bum-raped and Saakashvili is prolly now thinking, "God! What WAS I thinking of?"

Russia appeared to time the ceasefire perfectly to put across the message loud and clear: "We won't take this any further and play up to the bad-boy, evil Russian stereotype that exists in the Western press; but you do NOT f*ck with us."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In fact the georgians played in the hands of the russians here. I think the russians jumped in joy seening Saakashvili and the french minister taking cover because some "unmarked helicopter" appeared.

*edith loves news* Just heared the speech Saakashvili held today...wtf is he thinking ? That europe lets itself drawn into a war or a military support against russia ? geez...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Saw this today.

Does this sound familiar at all?

"It is very important now that all parties cease fire,'' Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said. ``The Georgians have agreed to a cease-fire, the Russians need to stop their military operations as they have apparently said that they will, but those military operations really do now need to stop because calm needs to be restored.''
At the same time, however, President Bush and his top aides were engaged in frantic consultations with European and other nations over how best to demonstrate their fierce condemnations of the Russian operation that began in Georgia's separatist region of South Ossetia, expanded to another disputed area, Abkhazia, and ended up on purely Georgian soil.
``The idea is to show the Russians that it is no longer business as usual,'' said one senior official familiar with the consultations among world leaders that were going on primarily by phone and in person at NATO headquarters in Brussels, where alliance diplomats met together and then with representatives of Georgia.
A senior U.S. official, speaking on condition of anonymity to describe confidential conversations among the leaders of other nations, said European and other leaders have been blunt with Russia that it must withdraw its forces. Russian leaders have said they do not plan a long-term occupation, the official said. The official was not specific about whether Russia has offered a timeline for withdrawal. ``People are saying, 'You know you cannot stay,''' the official said. ``We have been hearing from Russia, 'We don't want to stay.'''

Upvote 0
So how's the situation going on right now ? is the war over ?
"If the Party could thrust its hand into the past and say this or that even, it never happened—that, surely, was more terrifying than mere torture and death."
- George Orwell, 1984, Book 1, Chapter 3

"And if all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed—if all records told the same tale—then the lie passed into history and became truth. 'Who controls the past' ran the Party slogan, 'controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.'"
- George Orwell, 1984, Book 1, Chapter 3

Quote:"Sanity is not statistical."
- George Orwell, 1984, Book 1, Chapter 9

What does the UK have to do with this? ;):D

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
This is the English edition of Deutsche Welle's "European Journal" which I occassionally watch.

They had a story about that other region, Abkhazia, that was in dispute between Georgia and Russia.

They usually criticize Putin on this show, but the news program's portrayal of the people of this region was very sympathetic.

This was on the program before the war broke out.

The story is about 13 minutes into the program (you can move the ticker and fast forward it); I think it lasts about 8 minutes or so:

http://www.dw-world.de/popups/popup_single_mediaplayer/0,,3545493_type_video_struct_3065,00.html?mytitle=%2522European%2BJournal%2522%2Bas%2Bvideo%2Bon%2Bdemand

They also have a stories about French oyster farmers, Berlin's Mayor, and, a small island off the coast of Estonia. It's a very typical show.

They usually go visit a small European island like Sark or Mallorca.

If you want to see it though, I think they will probably be pulling it off the internet maybe tomorrow or the next day, so you'll have to watch it right away. Sorry!

Just in case that link doesn't work or you need to adjust the video, here's their homepage (the story was on the August 6th edition):

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/0,2142,3065,00.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i think it sucks that even when russia had a somewhat decent excuse (killing of russian citizens) the world still turns on it in favor of this dim-witted, cocky little country

They're not Russian citizens. They're Georgian citizens. Russian very recently extended them passports, and has now decided to refer to them as citizens as part of its propoganda effort.

Certainly, Georgia made a major bad move by provoking the Russians in this manner and may to some extent deserve a military $hit-kicking as a result. But if you think about it for 10 seconds it's extremely obvious the Russians were planning something. How long did it take to mobilize their military response-12 hours or something? How long do you think it would normally take (using Russian logistics, in the Caucasus) to mount this kind of co-ordinated campaign, invading Georgia on two fronts? This is a huge logistical effort, planned weeks or months ahead of time. Those Russian tanks, troops and APCs as well as their support elements had to have been parked in staging areas near the border, just waiting for orders.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.