• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Darkest Hour Release Update Part 3: Rule Britannia!

"Balanced? I'd rather have tanks like they were - within the engines limitation. "

Me too, but the tanks are completely aweful coz theyve tried to make them realistic, but then tried to balanced it as well. A prime example, look at how long the tiger takes to reload an 88mm shell - fair enough, im fighting t34-76 & kv1 so its balanced to make it easier for t34 & kv1 to try & flank the tiger while he reloads. But on arad you have a t34 with an 85mm gun, 3mm less in diameter, why is it reloaded twice as fast as the 88mm in the tiger?

Its just crazy things like that im talking about, maybe i should rephrase & ask how do the tanks fair up against each other?

p.s. been looking at the paradrop training vid on moddb, how long did it take to get all that how you wanted? It looks like ill be going on solo just to spend time paradropping! Seriously it looks way better than the gimmicked version youget in medal of honour airborne, one reason is because its way more flexible, i can land where i want, but it actually makes a difference! ^^

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It took our coder a while to get the chute working at all. Once we had that sorted it was a case of sitting down and discussing how to implement it and what we wanted it to do and not do.

then it was just down to engine limitations that limited some of the things we wanted to do with it. Animations were done to go along with it, but even they had to be done differently to what we wanted.

all in all we have a very good compromise in what we could achieve and what was intended. But it does do it nicely and has the impact we wanted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
a futher note:

New Axis Content:
For DH release 1 we have focussed on getting the allied stuff in game currently we have 3 new axis peices of content in game: The pak 43 (already released as a contribution from DH via the AHZ pack), the Fg42 and the Opel Blitz. If things go smoothly we may be able to bring you at least 1 new Axis player model and 1 new Axis tank before release 1. If not they will go into a patch which will follow the initial release. We hope to add more content for the axis including new player models, sounds and armour during our support and patch phase after DH release 1.

Thats cool :cool: For a bit more variety of Axis skins, it would be great if you could also give the German models the gaiters and half-ankle boots (especially for the Normandy campaign, at a time when supplies were starting to run out for the axis) as well. Not all the German soldiers wore the infamous jackboots in the battlefield.

germanconscriptandinfanru1.jpg
woundedgermansoldierfromo0.jpg

I was wondering if you could possibly render some of your German models sporting the Y-belt with the Zeltbahns strapped on their backs at shoulder height and the mess tin located just at waist level ? I find it quite interesting how it's positioned there!!!

zeltwear03wf9.jpg
zeltbahndodsor7ko6.jpg
cod2germanmodelbu0.jpg

Also check out this interesting site on different German equipment arrangements -

http://www.mp44.nl/equipment/zelt_wear.htm

I don't know if this is standard issue for the regular Wehrmacht infantry (or it only applies to Waffen SS units) but could you maybe have some of your German models wearing ONLY his helmet with camouflage and the rest of his uniform in plain ?

mohamodelcamohelmetnw6.jpg

Overall I think your German models should be alot more greyer than RO's greenish tinge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
anything we have in game will be as accurate as we can make it we have several re-enactors on our team as well as some people who do little else but study axis uniforms so don't worry we won't be giving out more jackbooted models or anything like that we'll try our best to make sure the axis are portrayed as they were in normandy.

p.s. as far as camo variants go we have some in game already and yes the germans either come in full camo or have just parts of their uniform camoed so thats already in

Upvote 0
I second the tanks suggestion. Make them more realistic!

If a tiger or panther is in the game, why not just make a smaller amount available rather than trying to balance them? RO's emphasis is realism, right?

Like, on a combined arms map, maybe make only one reginerative Tiger at its "actual" strength and 4-5 reginerative Shermans. If this is "unbalanced", add more AT slots to the Axis.

It would be awesome to try and match Wittmann at Villers-Bocage.

Of course the guys with slow connections would always be whining about not getting a chance in a tank, but thats pretty much the case anyway with limited classes.

Also, you said you added the FG-42. This is the paratrooper weapon, correct? Does this mean there will be Fallshirmjaeger skins? That would be great! I've only seen them portrayed in CoD.

Upvote 0
Well you wouldnt need just shermans, i cant remember which allied tank had the best gun (help me out here) i would assume it was the firefly, which would be a pretty even matched gun against the panzer 4's 75mm. The tiger actually has poor penetration values at longer ranges against later tanks, but in stock RO it has the best gun ingame for penetration values?? if im correct the allies mainly encountered panthers in normandy, i cant imagine how hard it would have been clearing them out of the normandy countryside, especially when it was defended so well, alothough german tank crews consisted more & more of hitler youth, so allies would have had the majority of experience.

"p.s. as far as camo variants go we have some in game already and yes the germans either come in full camo or have just parts of their uniform camoed so thats already in"

I think i saw some germans with green camo, looks cool. Even easier to avoid being seen while tank hunting!

Villers bocage would be sweet, it would be like opening tins!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well you wouldnt need just shermans, i cant remember which allied tank had the best gun (help me out here) i would assume it was the firefly, which would be a pretty even matched gun against the panzer 4's 75mm. The tiger actually has poor penetration values at longer ranges against later tanks, but in stock RO it has the best gun ingame for penetration values?? if im correct the allies mainly encountered panthers in normandy, i cant imagine how hard it would have been clearing them out of the normandy countryside, especially when it was defended so well, alothough german tank crews consisted more & more of hitler youth, so allies would have had the majority of experience.

There was only one Divison, the 12 SS Panzerdivision Hitlerjugend with hitler youth, most of them were hitler you lead by battle hardened officiers.You also have to remenber that the best crews were given the best tanks. On the other side the allies had very much tanks and tank crews, but that doesn

Upvote 0
in normandy the allies mostly encountered assault guns, StuG's and some JagdPanzers.
but the german tank workhorse at that period was still the panzer IV J, wich was slightly superior to the sherman.
next to that came the panther ausf A, the second model of the series. a quite unreliable tank.
then some early panther G's fought also in normandy, an improved and simplified design. verry reliable
many tiger1's were still in operation, and a handfull of tiger 2's saw action in normandy.

the americans could onlycount on the m10 to take on panthers, it was superior in firepower, but like most american tanks it had weak armor and unlike the panther it could not afford to take hits

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Overall I think your German models should be alot more greyer than RO's greenish tinge.

How come? Green shade is as authentic as grey shade and so on.

Here's one funny demonstration, even though it is US M42 AB jacket:
khaki_main.jpg

There's reproduced and original M42 AB jackets combined. Which of them is the correct colour then? :p

Now add insult to injury that germans recycled nearly everything, so in late war it was even possible to have a so-called M44 tunic with field gray base and BROWNISH sleeves. And WSS parkas were especially known for their mis-matching parts.

mismatch_SSfurparka.jpg

So I do not see any wrong with the RO greenish uniform shades as they are.

Upvote 0
SchutzeSepp said:
in normandy the allies mostly encountered assault guns, StuG's and some JagdPanzers.
but the german tank workhorse at that period was still the panzer IV J, wich was slightly superior to the sherman.
Really depends on what Sherman you are talking about. The late Panzer IV's (G-J) were a bit better than the 76mm verison Sherman but the 75mm verison was totally outclassed by the late Panzer IV.

SchutzeSepp said:
next to that came the panther ausf A, the second model of the series. a quite unreliable tank.
Yes the early "D" Panthers have a reputation of being unreliable but at this stage and with the "A" verison many of the issues with the model were fixed.(theres a long list of modifications I could post about this), but I do agree that the Panther G was the better tank.

SchutzeSepp said:
many tiger1's were still in operation, and a handfull of tiger 2's saw action in normandy.The americans could onlycount on the m10 to take on panthers, it was superior in firepower, but like most american tanks it had weak armor and unlike the Panther it could not afford to take hits

Well....m8 the Tiger I was forminable foe even at the end of the war especially in the hands of a good crew.

The 76mm M7 L / 53 on the M10 is pretty similar ballistically to the Panzer IV 's 75mm L/48. The 76mm was only slightly weaker ( with regular AP) in penetrative performance. Its armor was weaker than that of the Sherman's but it was fairly quick TD.
Against the Panther it was observed by the Allies that the M-10 was unable to penetrate the front of the Panther tank tank at any range however it was still quite useful against the more common Panzer tanks.

The Western Allies though unlike their Eastern counter parts had more luck in developing High-velocity weapons the 17-pounder being one of them the 17-pounder is roughly as potent as the Panther's long 75mm (with standard AP ammo). At first the 17-pounder was a rare anti-tank platform in Normandy but as it proved itself against German opposition the number of 17-pounder armed vehicles grew.
I forgot to mention the 90mm! -lol-:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Fieldgrey.jpg

@ Foggy. Here you can see the variety of German uniforms. They certainly are not all grey. Not even close.

Picture and quote from AtTheFront page (www.atthefront.com):
Original uniforms, none of which match. The 4 on the right are all made in 1943. If this is difficult to swallow, please call A.Speer at the Reich Economic office in order to lodge a complaint. I'm sure that Deutsche Telekom in Berlininformation will be most helpful in locating his number!

Upvote 0