• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Widescreen fix!

Here. Fix for everyone.

Just make an option to switch the FOV. One "meant" for widescreen.... one "meant" for standard. All users can choose which ever they want, despite what they have. If you want it stretched or zoomed... go ahead... if you want it to look RIGHT... do it.

But, right now, widescreen users don't have a choice. We get the cropped/zoomed view, which is both an advantage and disadvantage to everyone. Give us a choice and make it a universal choice, please.

Upvote 0
Most optimal FOV setting scheme would be where the vertical FOV would match between 4:3 and 16:10/16:9/5:4 screen users. So then widescreen users would get more horizontal field of view.

Well why i mean the fov should basically for the most realism be thesame as the angle from your eyes to the side of the screen.

A 20" crt 4:3 crt monitor you sit close to should get a wider fov than a 17" widescreen lcd or whatever. aslong as the aspect ratio is correct as in circles are circles and not ovals its basically correct. And all there is then is a fov that a user might prefer. which would best probably be a slider where every user got the same range. As it was in the past but that feature was easilly exploitable due to bugs etc to basically bind a button to get a really low fov aka sniper scope.

Upvote 0
I would hope that they calculate the FOV based on the resolution, don't use a slider. That way no matter what kind of custom resolution people are running then it will work correctly.

I for one have been playing Red Orchestra since the UT2004 mod and am a proud owner of retail, but ever since I got my widescreens I have not touched this game because I am disgusted my once favorite FPS is still living in the 90s and ignoring widescreen users.

Upvote 0
Widescreen 32" here.

Sometimes I wonder if the weapon models have way too much crap in your field of view. As in... How much of your own hands and weapon do you actually see while running around a battlefield? For this reason I am fine with the current method because it cuts out some of the firearm and shows me more of the map. That's more action I see while 4:3 users are looking at a lot of useless area filled with their own guns.

I realize ofcourse that I am not seeing anything "more" than 4:3 users. But the wasted real estate on your screens bothers me. :)

Upvote 0
pz4small.jpg

Upvote 0
Ok, as I see a lot of people say a lot of things again and again I'm gonna do a little review of what I've read and some notes at the end.

Widescreen good points:
- The zoomed view allow us to "snipe" better.

Widescreen bad points:
- The zoomed view make our weapon so big that we can't see a part of the battlefield.
- We have less range of view.
- The game is a bit pixelised. (not sure about that one, just my observation)

Notes:
All right, for people who have a wide screen, like me, I totally agree, the current mode suck.
For people who have a "normal", old fasion screen, think about our problems with the zoomed view. What would you want if you had a whidescreen? And above all, what do you have to lose?
And the last one: Don't you think it would be fair?

My recomendation:

Give players the option to use "normal" whidesreen settup by adding horrizontal view, and not supressing it.

Upvote 0
I've just upgraded from a 19" Widescreen (resolution 1440x900)to a 22" Widescreen (resolution 1680x1050) and when running on maximum resolution and graphics setting in RO I almost feel like I am cheating when compeared to my old screen. The crisp details and the higher resolution has given me an increase in range and accuracy in the range of 25-50% depending on the map and long range shooting(rifles), above 100 meters, while in the standing or crouching positions is now not only a possibility but the queation is what bodypart I wish to aim for! It is not that I am particulary good at shooting in RO it is just that the larger screen is really making the difference on long ranges.

Now I better understand some of the seemingly "impossible":eek: shots I have seen while playing RO - the hardware plays a huge part of getting that killing shot before your opponent does and getting the right combination of hardware can highly influence if one likes or hates RO I would dare to say. I remember when I first started playing RO on my 17" screen with a 800x640 resolution with the lowest detail settings and how I spent countless hours wondering how people could see me let alone hit me with guns while I wasn't able to even spot their muzzle flashes:p

Get a huge monitor and improve your gaming experience today!

Upvote 0
I play at 1920x1200 and everything is perfectly fine and I must say it's incredible. The monitor is 24" and I must say I'd never go back I'm just glad games like RO have that native resolution as a selection. There is nothing worse than when a game does not let you go that high and use the widescreen properly. This game does and it looks awesome.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0