• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Weapons cache

Fuhrer Cool

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2008
USA
Hi!

I was thinking of a neat little feature to add to RO. If you pick up an enemy weapon, you can bring it back to your spawn area and drop it in a certain spot. This will allow your team to choose that weapon a certain number of times.

For example, if you capture three PPSh's and drop them in the weapons cache spot in your spawn area, anyone on your team that gets to pick submachine guns for their role (ex. StoBtruppe) will be able to pick a PPSh. But, once three people have used up the three PPSh's, you must capture more or just stop using it.

This might have problems since you will have no weapons after you drop the PPSh/whatever weapon you stole in your spawn area, unless you were a sniper or MGer and had a pistol or something. And you'd also keep the grenades.

Maybe to fix the no-weapon-after-dropping problem, you could carry 2 primary weapons BUT NOT BE ABLE TO FIRE EITHER UNTIL YOU DROP ONE, either in your spawn or if it's an emergency.

What do you all think?

I wouldn't say he's being negative, but more-so realistic. Not bashing your idea, but it wouldn't work, as this game has a lot of just public players, people are never going to stop the run and gun game. They will always rush till your reinforcements are 0%, or camp till the enemy over runs them. Once in awhile, on certain servers, you get good gameplay.

Upvote 0
The only way this idea would work is if both teams also had weapon pools, e.g. they had 200 rifles, 100 SMGs, 30 MGs, 10 snipers etc. so if a weapon is lost in combat or picked up by the enemy it is removed from the pool. if a team runs out of that weapon type (some of which could be infinite so the game doesn't break), the player could no longer choose that class.

This would then give a real incentive to steal weapons, because it would help your team, you could also reward players by giving them a point for every weapon they add to the pool.

Whilst i think this idea could work in theory, my personal view is that it would detract from the gameplay, Ro isn't about stealing or hording enemy munitions, it's about taking and holding ground, and this feature would only be a distraction to that aim.

Upvote 0
Hi!

I was thinking of a neat little feature to add to RO. If you pick up an enemy weapon, you can bring it back to your spawn area and drop it in a certain spot. This will allow your team to choose that weapon a certain number of times.

For example, if you capture three PPSh's and drop them in the weapons cache spot in your spawn area, anyone on your team that gets to pick submachine guns for their role (ex. StoBtruppe) will be able to pick a PPSh. But, once three people have used up the three PPSh's, you must capture more or just stop using it.

This might have problems since you will have no weapons after you drop the PPSh/whatever weapon you stole in your spawn area, unless you were a sniper or MGer and had a pistol or something. And you'd also keep the grenades.

Maybe to fix the no-weapon-after-dropping problem, you could carry 2 primary weapons BUT NOT BE ABLE TO FIRE EITHER UNTIL YOU DROP ONE, either in your spawn or if it's an emergency.

What do you all think?

Why would you want to encourage people to stop going to the cap and run BACKWARDS to their spawn? Why would you want to place so much importance on the weapon, when all that really matters is using that weapon to get you and your team into the capzone?

Sounds gimicky and unrealistic and would take away from the fragile teamwork that exists now. It would just make WORSE the Rambo type of teamwork that ruins any round.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
While interesting idea, only way to make this work in practice would be to make a global ammo dump and weapons cache to the entire team.

E.G. you have only X amount of MGs, and when all MG gunners die that X amount of time they're out of MGs until they are returned to the ammodump. Practically it would need weapons stay lot longer on the ground, and that system's one major problem is general stupidity on publics and the way how weapon balance is done. Would be alot simpler just to limit reinforcements per classes and for weapon variety - mappers could always implement classes that have very limited access to captured weapons (and only like 1-2 classes per map) than have this ammo dump\weapons cache.

And eventually this would lead into such that people want to simulate proper supplies and organisations to make it "correct" and not too "unrealistic" which is kinda impossible on regular online FPS.

("general stupidity" is not meant to be offensive against anyone, but more than a few times I have been killed by a teammate because I have a weapon he wants to use)

Upvote 0
While interesting idea, only way to make this work in practice would be to make a global ammo dump and weapons cache to the entire team.

Ya that's what I meant

I guess the longer weapon stay would drain the servers a bit though

Also not sure how many people would actually do this, it sounds boring, just running back and forth from your ammo dump to the battlefield to collect weapons. I would though, and i'm not even sure why I think it's fun lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0