• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Starting all over again...ARGH!!

Wondered off to play Project Reality and some ArmedA this winter looking for something that simply wasn't out there. The perfect balance between game play and realism.

Project Reality seemed to offer the realism but basic game play had some problems (because of the limits of the BF2 engine).Besides , takes HOURS to finish ONE map!

ArmedA barley ran on my system and wasn't worth an upgrade.

Fired up RO again this weekend and hopped on some servers.

RO does have it's faults (ie VOIP implementation but that's in another topic) , graphics are dated (but thats the UE2 engine and graphics don't really make a game anyway) but damn its as close in game play vs realism as one really needs thats loads of fun to play.

Glad to see there are still quit a few people playing and servers up and running so never seem to have any problems finding somewhere to play.

Anxiously awaiting Tripwire's next release , whatever it be (as long as it isn't just another BF2142 clone)

I just hope they don't too drastically change the gameplay synergy they have going on now. The core gameplay is already successful and doesnt need to be 'changed'. Things like mantling and slightly more realistic vehicle entry/exit times would be positive additions, but please don't touch the existing dynamics. Any perceived lack of popularity isnt because of the initially difficult gameplay but rather a lack of exposure/advertising.

Please keep it true to the RO we know and love!

Upvote 0
I just hope they don't too drastically change the gameplay synergy they have going on now. The core gameplay is already successful and doesnt need to be 'changed'. Things like mantling and slightly more realistic vehicle entry/exit times would be positive additions, but please don't touch the existing dynamics. Any perceived lack of popularity isnt because of the initially difficult gameplay but rather a lack of exposure/advertising.

Please keep it true to the RO we know and love!
Agree though tell me your thoughts about that aspect since you also come from the MOD.

Leaning. That **** made the game somewhat borked (might not be the right word but it's the only english one I can think of to describe it). See, in the mod, it was sort of a 'mano a mano' thing, in a duel you couldn't really have 4/5 of your body hiding, you had to have at least 1/2 of your body showing shooting somebody. This meant that even if you had the upper hand (say an ambush on somedody running towards you), your opponent - if skilled - could stop, aim and shoot you regardless of you strategic advantage - and most importantly see you.

Upvote 0
See, I don't even use leaning. I don't have any leaning keys mapped in my configurations. There are reasons for this, and I look at them from two different angles..

First is from my point of view as a player with a 'constant movement' type style. In my years of playing this game I've come to the conclusion that the longer you stay still, the higher your chances of dying are to rise. Because of this I rarely stay still. If an enemy has made visual contact with you, the worst thing you can do is hunker down and stay in one spot (of course the situation may insist that you stay still, but rarely). What leaning does is basically keep you in one spot. I want to be able to vacate an area immediately... so if I'm in lean mode and inching close the edge of something in order to look around or take a shot - that takes entirely too much time and leaves you actually more vulnerable than if you jump out and take a quick shot. Certain people are insanely good with nades.. so if you're trying to concentrate in your lean, you are wide open for a nade. You simply can't get out of the lean stance fast enough to get away.

Secondly, this game plays out like chess to me.. with spatterings of quick, accurate reflexes. The object is to outsmart your opponent and make him 'open' himself up. Make him do something that leaves him 'open' to be killed - all the while not doing anything you can't recover from that could cause you to be vulnerable. It's like a frantic give-and-take with the opponent where you don't want to overextend yourself, cause if you do, that's their opening. Like in Sumo, they push, push, push with all their might to get the other guy out, but your own momentum can be turned against you, so you need to be careful not to be too careful (if that makes sense to you) but also not overextend. Attacking an opponent is a game of balance. As soon as I see someone leaning, I immediately feel the advantage and act on it. Especially if they have a bolt. I'll close in and go for the stab, or simply shoot them off the corner. If they have an SMG, they get naded.

Leaning has improved my single pixel hitting ability though, so I do like it in that respect. It has caused me to practice hitting just a pixel or two of a guy leaning and also contemplate the many different methods for dealing with a leaning opponent.

I think the best additions in Ostfront were the 'dive to prone', and being able to move while in Ironsights - even when prone. Great additions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
leaning is useful when you have to cover a corridor from a door, you can have the full view of the corridor without exposing yourself, that kind situation does not let the enemy make maneuvers anyway, without the leaning, the nemy just can go in while spraying and you are dead

Upvote 0
leaning is useful when you have to cover a corridor from a door, you can have the full view of the corridor without exposing yourself, that kind situation does not let the enemy make maneuvers anyway, without the leaning, the nemy just can go in while spraying and you are dead
Yeah leaning is a great addition. Never played the mod but it'd be a huge mistake to take leaning out. Don't tell me it's unrealistic either!

I get what you're saying Rez, I'm a very "mobile" player myself, and as soon as I see someone hunker down I won't bother doing the same, I'll just throw a nade.

That said, there ARE situations where leaning is extremely useful. For example, on Leningrad picking off Germans from the high up levels of the buildings... leaning allows you to expose only a tiny part of your body.

Same if you need to defend a static position, like... say a hallway in Zhitomir. That said I rarely use leaning "offensively". Only if I'm already in position when I spot the enemy (like when I'm defending an entrance).

If I see an opponent who's in a good position (and I'm in the open) I NEVER hunker down. Always either go for the nade if in range or try to find a better vantage point to attack/flank from.

Upvote 0
Leaning is a VERY helpful tactic as it allows you to take cover and wait for someone to get within easy target range without having to expose your entire upper torso. Makes you harder to spot , harder to hit.

Only thing you have to remember is that if you miss you better move cause sure as hell some n00b will lob a grenade in your direction :p rather than bother trying to use any skill and shoot it out.

Upvote 0