• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New computer build won't start

=GG= Mr Moe

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2006
Newton, NJ
:( Damit

Well, finally got my backordered video cards in, then installed them in the computer. I double checked everything (connections, etc), put it all together and closed it up. Hooked up mouse, keyboard and monitor and plugged it all in.

Turn it on and all I get is one blue light come on inside the case on the motherboard. Hit the on button on the case and an orange light comes on next to the blue light. Absolutely no other activity on the board, fans, sounds, power supply fans etc. I get nothing on the LED Post Codes indicator (it doesn't display anything) :(

Open it all up, triple check all my connections etc, repeat process above four times, no luck.

Am I missing something or is it possible something is messed up (bad part) or both? Any suggestions are welcome...

PS: This is my first build from scratch.

Parts Reference:
-------------------

Case:
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Motherboard:
EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel
PSU:
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad
CPU:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz
Memory:
2 - Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Hard Drives:
HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000 HDS721075KLA330 (0A35154) 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
- and -
2 - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KSRTL 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
Optical Drive:
ASUS Black 18X DVD+R etc... 2MB Cache PATA DVD Burner with LightScribe
Video Card:
2 - XFX PVT88PYDF4 GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready
Sound Card:
Creative 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty
Case Fan (for side):
Thermaltake A1926 120mm Blue LED Case Fan
Keyboard:
Logitech 967740-0403 Black 104 Normal Keys 8 Function Keys USB Standard Internet 350 USB Keyboard

You said the power supply fan wasn't even going? You mean the fan that's integral to the supply itself? If so that might indicate a problem with the power supply itself.

Usually if something is drastically wrong, your motherboard will emit some sort of code through beeps. If all you're getting is one LED on the board, I'm not sure. Either your power supply is defective, or you've got a problem with the board itself.

Absolutely double check to make sure the main power connector from the power supply to the motherboard is plugged in and has the proper number of pins and such.

Upvote 0
I double checked the number of pins, ok.

I don't need the 4 prong, only the 24 and the 8 prong which were properly plugged in.

Never even get to the bios, only indication anything is happening at all is one or two tiny lights. No psu fans, no drives turning, no post indicators or beeps...

Yes, the psu was turned on :p

------------------

I found this on the PSU site: http://www.pcpower.com/support/ATX_troubleshoot.htm

I followed the steps and did not even get the fan to run in step 7. It seems as if it is the PSU

Upvote 0
If none of those suggestions work, check your power button connections again. I know you said all connections are plugged in right, but I thought the same thing when I built mine, you could't believe the disbelief I had when it wouldn't start when all said and done.

But its the power button cord, its the low voltage looking one, about 6 of em (atleast on mine) and they plug in near the bottom (on mine as well). I plugged mine in sideways instead of up and down.

One more pass, just to make sure ;)

Upvote 0
Double check the connection to the power button of the case and the mainboard, it's very easy to mess that area up. Also I know it's a pain but double check your spacers and also check the grounding stud.

To me it sound like either your power button is plugged in incorrectly to the mainboard, or you aren't getting a proper grounding with the case.

Upvote 0
Don't just check your physical connections, be sure and take them off and reseat them.

Try a diff PSU.

Try booting with only the bare essentials. One video card, one stick of memory, one DVD/CD drive, and one H/D. If its still no joy, swap them. You did not mention a mouse. Would it be a Razor by any chance? or some other new gaming mouse? If so, try a generic one from another computer. The idea is to determine if its the M/B or some other peripheral.

If you are using one of the USB connections on the M/B to power a case mounted USB port, try unplugging those. (I had to RMA a board one time when I hooked those up wrong).

If those are SATA DVD's be carefull pluging them in. The connection offsets don't work as well as they should and its fairly easy to reverse the plug on the DVD end. You'll instantly fry the DVD.

My son has the exact same case. Its, nice but a little tight by the drive bays (at least for my fat fingers).

This may not be the case here, but I had a similar problem on my last build (this comp). This case has a slide out M/B tray and a short extension cable connection between the M/B and the power/reset buttons. The cable was not keyed and allowed me to plug it in reveresed. All of the usual connections (speaker, hdd light, power, reset, etc) were on this connection. Asus tech support had me "short" the power pins on the M/B. Voila! It powered up. As this is your first build, I suggest waiting until you're at wits end and have exhausted all other avenues, but then you might take a small bladed screwdriver and complete the connection across the power pins on the M/B.

Its a shame you are having boot problems on your first build. Usually its getting all the peripherals and drivers loaded that are the headache.

Good Luck.

Floyd

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rechecked and reseated all connections and ran the troubleshooting tips from the PSU's website. The failure of the troubleshooting seem to indicate the PSU.

I do have a running PSU in my current computer, but am hesitant to pull it out because of the work required with everything in the current case, so that is out.

Those two lights still bug me though.... :confused:

Upvote 0