• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Gpf

Murphy

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
liandri.darkbb.com
When rebuilding my map the UnrealEd locks up during the "partitioning". If I rebuild geometry and lighting seperately, geometry works fine, but the lighting crashes the Ed with this error message. I can't make sense of it, so please tell me what I have to do to fix this.

Code:
General protection fault!

History: FPoly::SplitWithPlane <- FPoly::SplitWithNode <- FEditorVisibility::FilterThroughSubtree <- FEditorVisibility::FilterThroughSubtree <- FEditorVisibility::FilterThroughSubtree <- FEditorVisibility::FilterThroughSubtree <- FEditorVisibility::FilterThroughSubtree <- FEditorVisibility::MakePortalsClip <- FEditorVisibility::MakePortals <- FEditorVisibility::TestVisibility <- UEditorEngine::TestVisibility <- UEditorEngine::shadowIlluminateBsp <- UEditorEngine::Exec_Light <- UEditorEngine::Exec <- (LIGHT APPLY) <- UUnrealEdEngine::Exec <- WPageOptions::BuildLighting <- WEditorFrame::OnCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- MessagePump <- MainLoop

btw. the map is for UT2004, but its the same basic engine. Doesn't seem like an UT2004-specific problem.

Thanks in advance

I did add a rather suspicious 2d-Shape-Ed brush, but since it rebuilded it fine without holes in it or its vincinity I thought it was fine after all. I replaced it now and its currently rebuilding again. I'll check back as soon as its done - or crashed...

EDIT: Nope. Error is still there. I'll go through some more of the recent brushes.

EDIT2: It works again now. You were right with your diagnosis. Thank you for saving me a lot of time.:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you doing BSP work and then compiling ONLY lighting without rebuilding the BSP, including delete of BSP?? That has done similar crashes for me once or twice. Rebuild the BSP first or along with lighting and see if that fixes your issues. Otherwise, since you are not getting a brush ID number, it is a hunt and delete your last changes type of thing. Good luck.

Upvote 0