• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Paranoia Mod - RELEASED!

THIS MOD IS PURE AWESOMENESS !!!

First off all the dl was fast and also reinstalling HL was fast (suprsingly)

The mod is so detailed and it feels like an own professional game and not like some medicore mod. If I had a gaming company I would hire these guys :eek:.
Anyone remember Condition Zero? Yeah, this game is pretty much what we expected but we got something even cooler --> Russians (I think I even heard some music of Lube or whatever this famous Russian band is called :rolleyes:)
The athmosphere reminds me a lot of Operation Flashpoint and Stalker (all these worn out Eastern European buildings and the Russians of course).
The sounds are good too, the firefights are challenging but not too difficult.
Nothing more to say than play it.

Truly a gem :cool:

Upvote 0
Just finished it.

I can tell you that this feels NOTHING like GoldSrc. Aside from the lower-than-uber poly players and the CZ arms, this could be a bloody game for all I care. :)

The gloss is real, as are the detail textures and projector flashlight (partial lighting doesn't work properly with dead bodies though). The atmosphere is supreme, and felt a whole lot like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. There was even this one part where I was at a guard post and they were playing Lube's Davai Za on the radio, it was so cool!

About the fights; don't play on Hard unless you're a badass. The combat plays well despite HL's age but there are times when the AI (e.g. the monsters) can get hung up on corners and stuff. Overall the fights are pretty fluid though. The weapons were great too, but I felt the accuracy on the VAL and Groza got nerfed some, and that such a huge arsenal of weapons didn't go too well with the game's length (approximately 3-4 hours).

For me personally, this wasn't that scary (even though I've never played Doom 3 or F.E.A.R.), but there were some times where I jumped, a lot of them was me going "Awww, ****! Back, back, get the **** back!!" But I say again, the atmosphere is amazing though, the voice acting and sounds really add to it.

In short: GET IT! :D

Upvote 0
Alright, I just spent $10 on HL so I could play this. If you guys like it, it should be worth it.

HELP NEEDED! Whenever I try running the game, I get "Windows cannot find ' hl.exe ' make sure you typed the name in correctly, and the please try again."
"windows cannot find hl.exe you will ascertain that you introduced into the name correctly, and you will repeat attempt."

I tried putting hl.exe into D:\Program Files\valve\steam\SteamApps\[email protected]\Half-Life, and D:\Program Files\valve\steam\SteamApps\[email protected]\Half-Life\Paranoia. The former resulted in "could not find systemfile dll" or something like that, and there's no systemfile.dll file in the Paranoia folder, and later did absolutely nothing!

EDIT2: I'm retarded. I finally just put the "Paranoia" folder into the Half-Life folder, and then double clicked on the Paranoia launcher, and it came right up.
I'm redownloading from all three mirrors before I give up (the torrent didn't work for me), but if anybody can help me out here, I'd appreciate it. I translated the mod's forums into english and found someone else with the same problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
first off, make sure you've run Half-Life at least once. just boot it up, load up the training room, then quit. after that, check the steam directory and make sure that you don't have a Half-Life folder inside your half-life folder. if you do, move its contents into the first half-life folder. if it doesn't work then, make sure you installed the mod in the proper place. (it has to be installed inside the steam folder in order to work, and judging by your path you didn't check to make sure that that's the correct directory.)

I just tried the first little bit, and I really don't like how weak the weapons are. I'm playing on easy and it takes me half a mag to take a guy down, even with single aimed shots.

Upvote 0
I just tried the first little bit, and I really don't like how weak the weapons are. I'm playing on easy and it takes me half a mag to take a guy down, even with single aimed shots.

Yeah, playing it on medium and it took me most of my ammo to take out the first three enemies. I find that feedback in form of blood sprays is missing: I simply don't know if I hit the enemy or missed him, unless he stands right at a wall.
Also not being able to take weapons and ammo from downed enemies doesn't help it either.

Conclusively: very good looking (for HL1 that is...) and atmospheric mod which fails in the most important point of a FPS: the weapon handling. So don't bother with the DL unless you want to see what's technically possible with a ten year old engine, or are really craving to be a spetznaz at all costs.

Upvote 0
Yeah, playing it on medium and it took me most of my ammo to take out the first three enemies. I find that feedback in form of blood sprays is missing: I simply don't know if I hit the enemy or missed him, unless he stands right at a wall.
Also not being able to take weapons and ammo from downed enemies doesn't help it either.

Conclusively: very good looking (for HL1 that is...) and atmospheric mod which fails in the most important point of a FPS: the weapon handling. So don't bother with the DL unless you want to see what's technically possible with a ten year old engine, or are really craving to be a spetznaz at all costs.

Woah there, the sky is not falling just yet, you see, it is very easy to mod this to your liking, just browse to your Paranoia folder, find "Skill.cfg" and crack it open with notepad, and all you need is there, let me show you some interesting variables:

sk_agrunt_health1 "60"
sk_agrunt_health2 "90"
sk_agrunt_health3 "120"
Here we have the health for one of the enmies, there are 3 sepperate healths, each one corresponding to a different skill level (Easy at the top, Medium in the middle, and Hard at the bottom).

The way skill works in HL, there will allways be the same amount of enemies, and they will allways be as smart as they get no matter what the skill, they just get less health and deal less damage when you select easy or medium, so edit to your hearts content, give them less health and they will die faster.

You can also tweak how much damage they do, here's the same enemy:

sk_agrunt_dmg_punch1 "10"
sk_agrunt_dmg_punch2 "20"
sk_agrunt_dmg_punch3 "20"
Thease variables tweak his melee attacks, so if you for instance make him easy to kill (not much health), you can still retain some level of difficulty by making him deal more damage, set thouse variables high and you will be forced to take him down before he gets clouse to you.

You can also tweak weapon damage, here's the code for an assault rifle:

// 9mmAR Round
sk_plr_9mmAR_bullet1 "8"
sk_plr_9mmAR_bullet2 "8"
sk_plr_9mmAR_bullet3 "8"
As you can see, the way it is set up you will allways deal the same amount of damage nomatter what the skill, dont like that? change it!

But i think this will also make enemies who use guns do equally more damage, i dont remember though, its been a while since i messed around with HL, but just a heads up.

So tweak to your hearts content, its really this easy :)

Upvote 0
Thanks, I will propably try it out. Still, I'd rather not have to manually tweak a game to fit my likings, and the tweaks don't solve my main gripe with the weapons: the lack if an indicator where you hit.

Well, i can't help you with the last part, but you want the section called "// PARANOIA MONSTERS", its at the bottom of the .cfg file, if you multiply by 12 (most weapons do 12 damage) you can actually count how many shots it will take to kill them, for instance a health of 36 means they will die in 3 shots.

Just remember that saved games wont be affected, since the monsters current health was also saved when the game was, so it wont take affect untill you load a new level.

Upvote 0
Most of the game's soundtrack is from Slot not Lubeh.

Slot.. more like Pizda amirite!?!?! iamrite.

Lubeh, I only heard one song through the whole game, at the reception desk when they tell you to go to the medical examination. It was on the radio, playing "Davai Za". Some time later I'd talk to some of the soldiers and you'll hear them humming it, it was awesome, since I'm a Lubeh fan :D

Upvote 0
Why did they bother with the stupid training level!?? :rolleyes:

The game still looks and feels like hl1. Like you still glide around & the gfx still looks aged & horrible. The player movements are also so dated! The gun sounds are also really poor!

If they put me straight into the action then perhaps I would still have an incentive to keep playing!

Will still keep it installed just in-case I get in the mood to try some more!

Upvote 0

The game still looks and feels like hl1. Like you still glide around & the gfx still looks aged & horrible. The player movements are also so dated! The gun sounds are also really poor!

If they put me straight into the action then perhaps I would still have an incentive to keep playing!

You owe it to yourself to play this, get past the training levels and the first few combat maps, and this thing really comes to life, its all about t3h spooky! and its spooky done right! play it for the atmosphere, its worth it.

Upvote 0

Actually, I found that it went downhill after the training...

Upvote 0

Geez, you must be really spoiled on graphics or something...if you actually remember what base HL1 looked like, Paranoia's a huge improvement. Don't expect a Crysis, moron.

And yes, after the training they put you straight into action, so keep playing ;)

Upvote 0