• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Deus Ex 3 News (Topic starter doesn't know how to make good titles)

Upvote 0
- the characters lacked any depth (i liked that idea of the holo-britney though)

I thought she was top, an A.I. hologram luling the population into giving information by assuming the form of a re-assuring pop star- a pop star that turned out to be a brat. I quite liked the omar as it goes.
- certain storyline surprises were all too predictable
find that the case in every game I play. I don't look to video games for origional quality writing.
The coffee shop wars revalation was hardly mindblowing, neither was Leo's change of heart- but they weren't terrible side storys.

- the cities were about as big as my garage
now be fair, seattle was the size of a shopping mall (albeit a v small one).
I loved the way in deus ex you could look back and see a tiny spec of a security robot you stealthed past about an hour ago.

- the Denton Brothers were gay
Gunther was a bit of a gimp himself.

- the endings were all pretty stupid and not satisfactory (although that was partially wanted)

They could have provided 2 alternatives to each ending - one as the particular faction promised, and one being the downside as prophesised by the other group. It could have hinged on whether you choose that path at the 11th hour (last level) or committed to it earlier. A missed opportunity I'd say.

yeah if you compare it to phaps the greatest game ever made then you 'l never be happy. But i still enjoyed it more than most other games at the time.
No-one who played the origional will be happy with DE3 either, it must be accepted that mow most large publishers with shareholders will pay lip service to the PC market, economically adapting releases that had the lucrative console market in mind.
it's just the way it is, and it wont be changing.

Upvote 0
I never did play Deus Ex back in the day, but after years of people telling me how great it is.. I bought it a couple of months back. STEAM actually sells it, so you can buy it there as a last resort. Good game for sure.

The industry is hung up on fancy graphics, we know that... but the real renaissance of rpg gaming will come when high paid writers get involved. As early generation gamers get older, they'll yearn for more substantial gaming. I hope that type of demand will drive studios to create deep, intriguing storylines to be combined with the fancy images they're able to create. I'm talkin' immersive adult content and storylines on par with the Crying Game and the Usual Suspects.. LA Confidential type writing. Engrossing, gritty, painfully human current events type stories.. Let's hope they get away from the simplistic kids stuff and actually create characters and environments/scenarios we care about.

Upvote 0
I'm kinda hoping they are keeping graphical enhancements to a minimum so they can focus on gameplay again.
Just the bare essentials just like in the original DX, and focus on story plots etc.

DX2 sucked utter balls in comparison, i could not keep playing it after the first couple of missions. I just hated it, it couldnt keep my attention at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
quick question and it may sound stupid coz i think the guy founded his own dev studio (im at work so i cnt do much research atm)....but is warren spector involved in DE3 in anyway, if not the games going to suck :(

Don't put too much weight on Warren Spector, at the end of the day when it comes to it whilst he's been a positive influence he has earnt his fame off the back of the development studios he worked with, Looking Glass and Origin Systems. And his first title with Ion Storm was when they were partially made up of people from those teams. The second 2, Deus Ex 2, and Thief 3 were both by comparison to their predecessors (to understate it...) a little pale.

And he has indeed formed his own studio, Junction Point Studios...

The fact that it's being developed IN HOUSE at Eidos doesn't fill me with confidence. It is a new studio however, and they're still looking for people to fill positions. So it's not all doom. It just...probably is.

And if anyone here hasn't played through Deus Ex 1....why not!?

Upvote 0
The unified ammo was great as it allowed you to chose which weapon to use on your own. Use the sniper to take someone out? Use that poison thingy?
In most games you get a sniper rifle with five shots and you have to use those on the next few enemies who are snipers themselves. Then it switches back to smg mode so to speak.Unified ammo allows you to chose what to use throughout the game. The only thing that was bad about was that there was too much ammo in general. Half of it would have done.

Upvote 0
it diluted the immersion in the game for me...yeh it gave me the option of always using a rocket launcher or something but in the 1st game id carefully ration ammo for various things so i cud use them later. Some of the best moments in DX1 was when i ran out of ammo for my chosen and had to improvise on the fly and got away by the skin of my teeth. DX2 removed this, it turned the shooting into some far more generic.

Upvote 0
it diluted the immersion in the game for me...yeh it gave me the option of always using a rocket launcher or something but in the 1st game id carefully ration ammo for various things so i cud use them later. Some of the best moments in DX1 was when i ran out of ammo for my chosen and had to improvise on the fly and got away by the skin of my teeth. DX2 removed this, it turned the shooting into some far more generic.

Exactly. Since you couldn't really be a super-star at ALL the weapon classes (in DX1) you had to improvise. The game wasn't scripted so you didn't have those "sniper vs. sniper" sequences like Murphy suggested. What DX1 did was this:

You have chosen your tools, now you are trying to achieve X objective. How will you solve this problem given the tools you have at your disposal? You could snipe the guards from a distance, or just blow down the door with a GEP gun. Thing is you had to really focus on one or two areas. So you had to choose the options before you actually got there, and then live with your choices. It also made special occasions, like finding a LAW in an ammo locker right when that Military Bot is homing in on your ***, that much greater.

The best moments in the game were when you were stuck using the WRONG weapon for the job, because you were low on ammo for what you needed.

Upvote 0
I loved the ending of the first mission, where when you killed to many people, the guy in the armory of your company gave you no ammo so you couldnt go out blasting again, it forced you to use different tactics and see what other ways there are.
From that point on, you allways look twice for the best solution to a certain situation ^^

Upvote 0
I've never played Deus Ex, and I don't know what's it even about. Should I?

The combat has an annoyingly sluggish feel to it, not very exciting even for 1999' standards. Even though, its probably the best game that was made from an fp pov.

And about the title, why did you change it???? "ZOMG!!!11!1!1" ! I luved it!!! I wish all the threads here bore titles with such refined gusto. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Mini crossbow for the win!

And yes, the combat en DX1 was "sluggish", because the combat was not what DX was about, and if you try to play it like a "shooter" you will be disapointed.
DX was about the story, and solving problems with what you had handy, you have to approach it more like a puzzle game than a blastathon.

But i have just about zero expectations for DX3, well.. thats a lie actually, i fully expect it to be horrible!

Upvote 0
Hmmm, maybe I'll reinstall Deus Ex, you guys sparked my interest again. I never got really far into the game but what I've seen was good.

I I hope that type of demand will drive studios to create deep, intriguing storylines to be combined with the fancy images they're able to create. I'm talkin' immersive adult content and storylines on par with the Crying Game and the Usual Suspects.. LA Confidential type writing. Engrossing, gritty, painfully human current events type stories.. Let's hope they get away from the simplistic kids stuff and actually create characters and environments/scenarios we care about.

Yeah what's up with that? Where are the "adult" games with deep and great stories? Those kind of games are very rare. Most games appeal to everyone, both adults and kids. I'm not saying that's a bad thing but there is so much more possible. Surely developers can come up with something better than "kill X amount of enemies and travel through a system of tunnels to go to the next level"? I for one would love to see a game based on the movie Taxi Driver... or Fight Club. (yes I know there's a fightclub game, but it sucks).

blastathon

I think you just made up a great name for a multiplayer FPS :D

Upvote 0