• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Insurgency Mod ... EPIC THREAD OF DOOM

Insurgency Mod ... EPIC THREAD OF DOOM

• It's Great! Check it out...NOW!!!

Votes: 55 26.6%
  • It's just OK -- worth downloading but...

Votes: 95 45.9%
  • It sucks buckets...

Votes: 57 27.5%

• Total voters
How would you capping-icon haters then solve the issue of capping ie informing the player about cap status?

Like back in mod days: You'd have to have someone in the cap zone to know if an object was capped. Thus, it was possible for a sneaky person to turn the tide on Kaukasus for example, as the russians didn't know something was capped until it was too late.
Back then there were more maps with no prescripted order to cap the points. These two things made thing a lot more interesting and tactically challenging. Also, it was neat when there were more than one man needed to cap an objective.
All this resulted in much better teamplay IMHO, allthough the battles were spread out a tad more than today...

Upvote 0
Like back in mod days: You'd have to have someone in the cap zone to know if an object was capped. Thus, it was possible for a sneaky person to turn the tide on Kaukasus for example, as the russians didn't know something was capped until it was too late.
Back then there were more maps with no prescripted order to cap the points. These two things made thing a lot more interesting and tactically challenging. Also, it was neat when there were more than one man needed to cap an objective.
All this resulted in much better teamplay IMHO, allthough the battles were spread out a tad more than today...

I agree.
Currently, what keeps me from playing RO these days is the fact that most maps just feature one side attacking, and the other side defending.
It gets a little boring after playing those maps from the release, it would have been great if there were more maps with objectives wich wouldnt have to be capped on a specific order, so it gives you more freedom to play.

The way it is right now, you are either walking into a wall of bullets, or are creating the wall of bullets yourself, and it's getting kinda old.

Upvote 0
The on-screen message that pops up to tell you 'such and such was just capped' doesnt bother me so much..

..but there's no doubt that the flashing icons within the overhead map indicating a capzone is being taken has changed the way people play this game from how they did in the mod. You used to have to actually allocate soldiers to all of the active capzones in order to know whats going on within them... and that, in turn, required more communication and teamwork from the whole team. Tactics were built around needing to keep an eye on everything. Now all everybody does is constantly bring up the map and say 'hey, they're capping the Petrol!' ..and then everybody goes and runs over there to save it. If an opponent had an inferior team, or their tactics didn't take the other capzones into account, you could often steal a capzone from under their nose without them knowing it was happening. Flashing map icons have dumbed down the tactics in my opinion.

Upvote 0
I could live without the flashing icons, however i don't think it's that bad as is. In reality you wouldn't just run from objective to objective, there would be second line troops that would stay behind. You couldn't just sneak behind the lines and take objectives without the enemy noticing that. The whole objective taking thing is not very realistically implemented and thus certain measures have to be taken.

Upvote 0
my 2 cents again

my 2 cents again

From Beta2 changelog:

New overhead map implemented - displays your Objectives and the position of your team mates.

- aka "radar"

Do you want team mates postions on the map in beta 2? Yes or no?
Yes [ 97 ]
bar_left.gif
bar.gif
bar_right.gif
[41.81%] No [ 109 ]
bar_left.gif
bar.gif
bar_right.gif
[46.98%] Dont care / Not sure [ 26 ]
bar_left.gif
bar.gif
bar_right.gif
[11.21%]

Developers/shotcallers IMHO don't even want to listen to their userbase (even though half of them are under 18 and former/current CSS/arcade players).

I'll try to download it today and see if the gameplay had improved enough to be considered playable.

And why the hell they keep waiting half a day to release it, their release policy needs serious reconsideration IMHO.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So it's now released but it's not actually released. They're waiting for fileplanet to get the files.

****ing fail.
They pulled the same crap with the original release!
Wounder when they will release the server files?
With the lack of competence in this matter i guess the will release them a day or two after the release of the new beta!

Upvote 0
So if I'm correct their definition of "Insurgency Beta 2 released" (says so on the frontpage) is "the files have been sent to Failplanet"?

To be honest I have the feeling they're doing this wacky PR to build up some more hype. Look at the number of people browsing the forums. Those aren't just fanboys, they're also people who are wondering what the hell is going on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well that's positively idiotic. No wonder when I played DODS I could kill someone just by pointing the gun in their general direction. It's pretty apparent what kind of gamers valve are catering to then (low skilled players). So why haven't INS guys fixed it? Do they like the easy kills? I thought they were striving for realism? BOOM HEADSHOT! Hey, well like that's so hard to do when the hitbox is gigantic+ occupies space both in the present & past!:rolleyes: That's a great idea, even one armed, one eyed, and 2 fingers left (the pinky & thumb) on the one hand Granny can get her kills in with that system in place. That way nobody feels left out because we all know competitive games are ALL about bear hugs all around and making sure everyone is included regardless of their skill. This futher solidifies my dislike for the source engine. The engine is a total joke for competitive gaming and should just be used as a renderer for graphic presentations.

I nominate this post as the best post in this thread turned flamewar.
Back me up fellas, vote.

As numerous people mentioned before the reason there's so much criticism is because the forums on the Insurgency website is admined very very poorly. That in addition to the fact that their community is mostly young players from CS:Source/DOD:Source crowd, makes this forum a better way to air criticism (or praise).

Also apparently some of the guys from their forums migrated over to this server (or they were lurking here before) and made this thread a lot bigger than it should be.

Recognize a flamebait fellas.

====

@pusspounder (wtf?), we had these polls quite a few times here:
a) they are usually not very representative (the one you quoted definetly isn't)
b) you can't base your design decisions on polls or else you'll end up with a patchwork game

Perfect example of a flamebait.

Dont feed the INS fanboy trollers please, 26 pages of this is enough. Let's all agree to disagree.

====
Regarding the releasing of beta2 - my guidelines based on the experience downloading (read:waiting for) beta1.

1. Insurgency release date=Ins release date + 32 normal days
2. Imminent release day=imminent release day + 7 days
3. (following #1) Very imminent "it's finally out" release day= imminent release day + 1 normal day

Release time: the most inconvenient possible, maximizing the amount of time before the files spread and get properly mirrored/torrented

Final final release date & time: who the **** knows...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So now, i see the server files being available for download...
Do these server files actually update the mod to 2.0 or do you just need them to upgrade your server for 2.0?:confused:

It hasn't been released yet. Yes, it says so on the frontpage, but it's a blatant lie.:rolleyes:

It only builds up a huge hype. There is one forum post in that thread every 6 - 12 seconds.

Upvote 0
It hasn't been released yet. Yes, it says so on the frontpage, but it's a blatant lie.:rolleyes:

It only builds up a huge hype. There is one forum post in that thread every 6 - 12 seconds.

Haha why does this not surprise me :D
Oh well, when it's out we'll have to give it a try, eh mate? I got my new headset so ive gotta put it to a good test ^^

Upvote 0