• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RELEASE - StuG III Ausf G - Beta 1

I just jumped online and saw one in Hungary running it :p.

Maybe some of the big server admins around here can respond and let us know what the plans are for rolling this out.:) I'd like to get some quality time on this too; the bots in test rounds just don't cut it, although Ogledow has some of the best bot pathing of any stock map, IMHO.
yeah this stug needs to hit the battlefield fast :p its been on Order from the German factorys for a long time :D i expect you will load them on the train for Normandy ;)all i can say is fantastic guys:cool:

Upvote 0
Downloaded files last night & gave this puppy a test run & I love it! It realy looks cool & the commader cuppla makes a difference, as a 2 person tank W/ the MG on top this will be a blast! . Retical is great, skin & modding & "paint job" ect...

things I did notice (w/ my non modders eye):
-When firing the cannon & I am looking out of the Cuppla ring my head vibrates right out of the top.
-The mg shield is not "solid".
-interior is kinda bland.... but not too bad.

Minor stuff^^^

Question, If that shield is "solid" Would a few shell hits take out the whole stug If it was hit over & over??

This is a great taste of things that are on the way! thx!

Upvote 0

2fisted said:
things I did notice (w/ my non modders eye):
-When firing the cannon & I am looking out of the Cuppla ring my head vibrates right out of the top.
-The mg shield is not "solid".
-interior is kinda bland.... but not too bad.

I'll probably need to tone down the recoil shake. A few tweaks to the code should do it.

Collision will be added around the shield in the next beta version. And, yes, what worluk said is true.

CO has plans to spruce up the interiors for the next version.

Thanks and glad you had fun!

Upvote 0
you guys are my heroes!! and it has that special StuG 3G dotted skin, verry accurate!
the regular RO stug looks rediculous next to it on orel!
two questions: will the driver be able to open his top hatch and look outside in future versions? it's view is now extremely limited, and without a commander it's hard to see enemy tanks.
and, can it be used in custom maps?

thanks alot!

Upvote 0
will the driver be able to open his top hatch and look outside in future versions? it's view is now extremely limited, and without a commander it's hard to see enemy tanks.
As far as I know, one could not look throught the hatch and drive this vehicle at the same time. The way it is realised in RO at the moment is completely unrealistic.

Upvote 0
@SchutzeSepp - Bolt is correct, in real life StuG III drivers did not have a hatch, and is the reason why it's not implemented our StuG III G; the stock RO StuG driver hatch is unrealistic. StuG III Gs were not really equiped with driver persicopes, like earlier StuGs, however, we still plan on increasing the driver's visiblity.

can it be used in custom maps?

Of course. :) There is already a server running an Orel map with the StuG III G.

The Ausf G did have the scissors periscope for the commander, so that he could examin the battlefield without exposing his person. This would be an interesting feature to implement.

Also, the missing turret geometry is a known issue. ;)

Thx for the feedback guys.

Upvote 0
@SchutzeSepp - Bolt is correct, in real life StuG III drivers did not have a hatch, and is the reason why it's not implemented our StuG III G; the stock RO StuG driver hatch is unrealistic. StuG III Gs were not really equiped with driver persicopes, like earlier StuGs, however, we still plan on increasing the driver's visiblity.

my mistake, i was confusing the StuG 3G with the StuG IV, who did have a driver hatch on top. i am curious to see how well it does next to the RO StuG, because i have not noticed any serious change in gun effectivesness. only the velocity seems alot higher, because the arc at long distance shots is way smaller. i have never been killed from the first hit, and could take in some cases up to 4 hits from T34\76 frontally and sideways, but mostly you die at 2nd hit. but the unrealistic visibility advantage of the RO StuG, is still making it more effective for lone tankers it seems. but the RO Stug3 and the StuG 3G should never be used on the same map anyway.

Upvote 0
re: visibility - both CO and Bolt have it correct in terms of "realism", but I see what you mean. On our version, you can scroll back (not forward) to put your face up next to the viewport overlay. It doesn't quite give you the same view angle that you would get if you were able to stick your head out of a hatch, I realize. We're working on a better solution for Beta 2.

re: gun velocity and armor. Actually, I didn't tweak any values for this yet. So you are dealing with the same F/8 tank at the moment, as it were. The plan is to up-armor the front to 80mm and rear to 50mm to match RL specs. The effectiveness of the side armor and skirts is a tougher nut to crack, but it's on my list of things to tackle before Beta3 and Final. The gun is the L/48, I believe the same as the F/8 - unless we want to turn this into the Sturmhaubitze 42 Ausf

Last edited:
Upvote 0